Mark V idea

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAZZGEAR

Reaction score
Nope, the Mark IV is perfect "As Is" There will be no Mark V.

Mesa's answer to you would be to buy the Mark IV and either of the Express if you want Tri-Class.

The MarkIV is perfect as it is IMHO, i don't have the need of a MarkV, but it's only my point of view, and i totally respect others than mine.
Know that we have made an Amps Test with friends, here were the amps :

Mesa Boogie MarkIV Head (mine) on Recto 4x12 Cab
Mesa Boogie Stileto Deuce on Recto 4x12 cab
Soldano SLO100 with 4x12 Soldano mounted with Celestions V30's
Brunetti Head with 4x12 Brunetti cab mounted with Jensens

The guitar were an American Deluxe Stratocaster HSS with a Di-Marzio Tone Zone Humbucking, a American serie Telecaster and a PRS 513.

All the guitarists present in the room agree with the fact the MarkIV wins the contest by far on his 3 channels.
The sound was really smooth with a huge dynamic, still very clear and precise, articulate with a fat bottom end, all 3 channels were superb sincerely !!!
I use my MarkIV with the Recto 2x12, and it's perfect, but i have to say with the Recto 4x12 it's a killer combo, this cab is the "Bomb"

We found the Stileto very good for it's Lead channel (in 50 watts mode) but it lacks something in the end, maybe some more low end, the amp is very brigth sounding (EL34 ?) in 100 watts mode, the Lead channel was too agressive no matter the settings, a little harsh sounding, and lacked low end once again. ( Lead channeltested with the fluid gain mode only)
His clean channels was very dark with the little voicing switch up (i don't remind the name) it was as if we putted a fat blanket in front of the cab once again no matter the settings. With the switch down (Crunch ?) the blanket effect disapeared but it was impossible to obtain a totally clean sound (maybe with the guitar volume rolled down a little).
All in all, the Stileto is an amp dedicated to Rock music that's for sure, but we found it to lack Body to his sound, and it lackes the harmonic richness of the MarkIV, still having the same precise kind of sound.

I'm not here to comment the other 2 amps because it's only a Boogie forum here, but i can tell you in general the SLO100 played equally with the Stileto in terms of tone quality, but it is totally different sounding, The Soldano haven't got the precise Boogie sound of both the IV and the Stileto, but it's more Marshally sounding (still little imprecise sounding but in a good way, kind of dirty notes)
the Brunetti closed the list beeing the last (still a good amp in the end)

In the end, the 4 amps are fantastic amps and loving one or another is only a question of taste, but the MarkIV was very the winner plus it iwas the one with the least noise at high gain settings.

Antoine said:
The MarkIV is perfect as it is IMHO, i don't have the need of a MarkV, but it's only my point of view, and i totally respect others than mine.
Know that we have made an Amps Test with friends, here were the amps :

Mesa Boogie MarkIV Head (mine) on Recto 4x12 Cab
Mesa Boogie Stileto Deuce on Recto 4x12 cab
Soldano SLO100 with 4x12 Soldano mounted with Celestions V30's
Brunetti Head with 4x12 Brunetti cab mounted with Jensens

The guitar were an American Deluxe Stratocaster HSS with a Di-Marzio Tone Zone Humbucking, a American serie Telecaster and a PRS 513.

All the guitarists present in the room agree with the fact the MarkIV wins the contest by far on his 3 channels.
The sound was really smooth with a huge dynamic, still very clear and precise, articulate with a fat bottom end, all 3 channels were superb sincerely !!!
I use my MarkIV with the Recto 2x12, and it's perfect, but i have to say with the Recto 4x12 it's a killer combo, this cab is the "Bomb"

We found the Stileto very good for it's Lead channel (in 50 watts mode) but it lacks something in the end, maybe some more low end, the amp is very brigth sounding (EL34 ?) in 100 watts mode, the Lead channel was too agressive no matter the settings, a little harsh sounding, and lacked low end once again. ( Lead channeltested with the fluid gain mode only)
His clean channels was very dark with the little voicing switch up (i don't remind the name) it was as if we putted a fat blanket in front of the cab once again no matter the settings. With the switch down (Crunch ?) the blanket effect disapeared but it was impossible to obtain a totally clean sound (maybe with the guitar volume rolled down a little).
All in all, the Stileto is an amp dedicated to Rock music that's for sure, but we found it to lack Body to his sound, and it lackes the harmonic richness of the MarkIV, still having the same precise kind of sound.

I'm not here to comment the other 2 amps because it's only a Boogie forum here, but i can tell you in general the SLO100 played equally with the Stileto in terms of tone quality, but it is totally different sounding, The Soldano haven't got the precise Boogie sound of both the IV and the Stileto, but it's more Marshally sounding (still little imprecise sounding but in a good way, kind of dirty notes)
the Brunetti closed the list beeing the last (still a good amp in the end)

In the end, the 4 amps are fantastic amps and loving one or another is only a question of taste, but the MarkIV was very the winner plus it iwas the one with the least noise at high gain settings.

Thanks for your post. Very excellent information!

Wes

I think it would be nice to have a Mark series equivalent to the Road King - something as versatile, but voiced more along the lines of the Mark amps as opposed to the Rectos.

thelordofcheesecake said:
I think it would be nice to have a Mark series equivalent to the Road King - something as versatile, but voiced more along the lines of the Mark amps as opposed to the Rectos.

+1 great idea!
Anyone notice the marshall 4 channel amp, sounds the same on all 4 channels. I'm a marshall guy but to me it sounds same. My MKIV gives me three very distinct sounds, awesome!

I think a Mark V will happen at some point.

If the "nothing could be improved we are done" type of thinking prevailed then they would have thought the Mark IIIgreenbluered or IIabc+ or I was perfect and there would have never been a Mark IVa then b.....you could go on and on.

IMO a cool Mark V would be 4 completely independent channels with their own EQ per channel (nothing shared).

Channels 1 and 2 would be the clean channels. Channel 1 would be the trademark clean with the ability to get into R2 territory. Channel 2 clean would be able to get dirtier than R2 for more crunch type sounds.

Channel 3 would be based on the IIC+ tones.

Channel 4 would be the currently evolved Mark IV lead tone or the next evolution from that point.

A more logical control layout like the Roadking maybe, and all the poweramp options that the Mark IV has would be available as well.

I could probably think of some more improvements as well but I'm at work right now, lol.....

I love my Mark IV by the way :)

rabies said:
non-shared EQ b/n 4 channels is too much (user interface real estate issues unless they get REALLY creative and make the amp memorize EQ settings for you and then use footswitch, etc.)

Like the H&K Switchblade? (Which, by the way, is a really great piece of equipment.)

IMO, if will ever be a V it will really not be so different than the IV . . . i really dont believe a 4ch . . . i bet on a 3ch totally independent and some more power options (simul-class, any-class, whatever) and maybe some options switches on every channell for different modes, just it.

what's is almost perfect dont need too much improvement. 8)

Here is the pic of the amps during our test in the rehersal room (sorry for the bad quality, pic has been taken with a phone cell)

AmpsTest.jpg

rabies said:
Antoine said:

I don't see what's perfect about shared EQ for R1 and R2. But after having the Mark III for a few weeks now, I can see what you mean.

Only the Middle and Bass are shared for RHY1 and RHY2, but you surely know that these 2 controls are just here for some little tweaking and don't have huge effect.
The most powerful EQ control is the Treble, it's with this control that you set the amount of Treble evidently, but also the amount of Bass, Middle and Distortion, and this is one of the reason why the MarkIV is not a plug and play amp...
so, as you have a Treble control for RHY1 and an another Treble control for RHY2, it's perfect for me.
Sincerly, the fact that RHY1 and RHY2 share the Bass and Middle control is not a problem.

what about having a foot switch that you dont need a cable for, as in wireless guitar systems then your not limited where you stand by how long the cable is :?:

IMO if it ain't broke don't fix it. The Mk IV is perfect the way it is.

overwater said:
what about having a foot switch that you dont need a cable for, as in wireless guitar systems then your not limited where you stand by how long the cable is :?:
I think that would be a rather expensive addition that a vast majority of people wouldn't want to pay for, not to mention that I don't believe a wireless pedal system even exists. If it does I've never heard of it.

yeah point taken ,maybe as a optional extra :) i dont know iff it exists either but you would think it would work on the same principle as a remote control on a television and they seem inexpensive but dont know anything about electronics so im proberbly talking a load of rubbish :)

Hey Antoine! man that looks so **** good, one day I will have a rig like that, and **** your music is so **** good, reallys puts you in that mood :lol:

Nick_cor said:
Hey Antoine! man that looks so **** good, one day I will have a rig like that, and **** your music is so **** good, reallys puts you in that mood :lol:

Thanks my friend :wink:

fpoon said:
No actually the Mark IV IS Perfect.

^This man is absolutely correct i agree with him 110% he is the best and he always knows what he is talking about!!

Back