Mark V, Head or Combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hendog

Reaction score
I am about to pick up the Mark V after months of research, but I am not sure what configuration to choose. Am I wrong in thinking that the combo can run a 4x12 cab if I am not happy with the sound of the single 12? Or maybe a 2x12 or just another 12???

The combo is only another $100. It seems silly to get the head for 2k when the combo is 2.1k.

Thoughts?

Head... you can run it with any cab. I have learned this the hard way. For the music I play (classic rock and heavy stuff), you should get the head. The combo's do sound better with an extension cab, but with my Roadster, which I traded for a head eventually, never sounded good without the extension cab.

Combo - convenient, all-in-one package - nice if you like lots of mids and highs and not much bass

Head - lighter, but requires a cab - nice if you like playing with different cab combinations or need more oomph via a closed back cab

Just my .02

Combo! It's only $100 more for a built in speaker, which is perfect for practice and whatnot. Then when you need a cab you can just unplug the speaker and plug in any cab you want, or any compatible combination for that matter.

By the combo, then the first thing you do is replace C 90 with a EV12 speaker.
I wish that the marks still came with the EV speaker. In my opinion the C90s sound like some one Farting.

The EV makes the MKV sound really tight and doesnt break up.

wnlively

Well, I started with a combo, but after three weeks of struggling with rattles (changed rectifier tube and 6L6 tube which help a bit) I swapped the combo for a head. As many people have pointed out, having a speaker shaking the hell out of the amp just inches away is just physics. Now I can play some jazz at low volume with a lot of bottom without ever hearing other noises. I also have an other quality combo (Koch) which also rattle a bit at certain frequencies.

I am using a 2x12 THD cab but I'm sure I would have been happy with a single 1x12 mesa cab to ruse with the head.

The question is not if the combo rattles, it's when it will start rattling. Sorry I've been burnt twice so I'm ranting a bit.

It's ligther. Think second for stairs.

And lastly, 100$ over 2k is nothing because when you're buying quality gears what you're really after is perfection and when you start to hear things that you're cannot fix you're ......!!%

my two cents

Latest posts

Back