Mark V has very tight clean channel

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sevycat

Reaction score
Being a Fender amp owner for over 20 years, I am more use to the clean sound produced by fender amps. I picked up a Mark V back in Feb. and never had the time to sit down with it and explore the amp. You know, work got in the way. Right now, I am working on getting the amp to perform the way I want it to on the clean channel.

I would say the most noticable thing about the mk v is how tight the clean channel is. There are things I don't like that this amp does. Most of all, the popping when switching around from clean to fat to tweed. What's that all about? I want to call mesa and see what they say, but I fear that it is something to which there is no fix for.

Anyone care to tell me more about the reverb mini switch on the back. What way do you like to run it. I mostly play rock and blues. I never play extreme metal. I know, why did you get this amp then.

Well, Boogie has a long history of making some solid killer amps that have that sound that kind of grabs you and says, hey mother humper listen up.

sevycat said:
I mostly play rock and blues. I never play extreme metal. I know, why did you get this amp then.

Dude! IMHO, I think you miss the point of the amp - it is versatile. Sure, it can do metal or high gain rock on channel 3, but that isn't what you HAVE to use channel 3 for. There is alot of nice lead sounds on channel 3 that can be had by backing off on the gain. Anyway, enjoy.

Can't remember the mini toggle you are referring to, but I have reverb on for all 3 channels with channel 1 having the most, channel 2 a little less, and channel 3 just a touch.

The best clean sounds I have gotten are in the fat mode. With the EQ set to preset at about 11:00 and a touch of reverb. gain and master set to 12:00 treb and pres. the same , mid at 10:00 and bass at 10:00 at 90 watts. The popping sounds are normal, for gigging I use Fat, crunch and MKIV set them up and play. I also use a LITTLE delay and the clean sounds are amazing. I also have used Fender amps for the last 45 years...Super reverb (1965) Hot rod deluxe, and a deville 2x12. Until I saw a local group play an outdoor gig with 2 guys using Fenders...and 1 guy using a MKIV and the only one I could hear clearly Was the Boogie. end of story.

No Mark experience here, but I've found with my amp that the "tightness" that's too much at home is what gets you heard really well in a band.

I've got a '66 Vibrolux Reverb and a '67 Super Reverb and they can't cut through like my Boogie (a lowly (compared to a MKV) Express 5:50 combo) can in a band with multiple guitarists.

The cleans are wonderful in the MKV and I perfer them over my Roadster's clean channel which has the coveted "Lonestar Cleans". Try a chorus and delay in the loop to fill out the sound and take away some of the tight character.

The popping between channel modes is normal. The amp was not designed for the modes to be switched on the fly. Put the amp in standby when you switch the modes so you will not experience the popping.

The switches on the back under the reverb knobs are not reverb switches. They are rectifier select switches for ch's 1 & 2, and power tube configuration for ch 3, and are clearly explained in your manual.

Dom

sevycat said:
Being a Fender amp owner for over 20 years, I am more use to the clean sound produced by fender amps. I picked up a Mark V back in Feb. and never had the time to sit down with it and explore the amp. You know, work got in the way. Right now, I am working on getting the amp to perform the way I want it to on the clean channel.

I would say the most noticable thing about the mk v is how tight the clean channel is.

A lot of those classic Fender amps weren't 90w amps, so there's not sense in running the Mark V in 90w mode if those are the sounds you're after.

Drop the clean channel into 45w mode and if it's still too tight flick the rectifier select switch on the back to tube.

There are things I don't like that this amp does. Most of all, the popping when switching around from clean to fat to tweed. What's that all about? I want to call mesa and see what they say, but I fear that it is something to which there is no fix for.

The popping is normal. It's re-wiring the preamp when you change modes, so pops can't really be avoided.

Anyone care to tell me more about the reverb mini switch on the back. What way do you like to run it. I mostly play rock and blues. I never play extreme metal. I know, why did you get this amp then.

The Mark V is a rock and blues amp that also does metal.

That said, the reverb switches are rectifier select switches. On channel 1 and 2 they'll switch the amp between tube rectified (softer/spongier response) and solid state rectified (faster, tighter response). On channel 3 they switch the power section between Triode (reduced power output, softer response, more harmonics) and Pentode (higher power, faster response, bolder with more punch).

Well, Boogie has a long history of making some solid killer amps that have that sound that kind of grabs you and says, hey mother humper listen up.

They also make really good manuals. ;)

Thanks to those who jumped in and gave me some advise about the amp. I hear you all about digging into the manual, but you all do a much better job of explaining it. :wink:

+1 on Fat!
I have found a really nice clean tone- 45watt, tube recto, Fat with Bold switch. Gain at 12, vol and presence at 11. Treble at 11, mid at 9 ish, bass at 10 ish. It really pops with a strat type or even a P-90. Alone it sounds very present, but it lays in a band mix nicely. It cuts through with authority but sounds really sweet!

screamingdaisy said:
Drop the clean channel into 45w mode and if it's still too tight flick the rectifier select switch on the back to tube.

That's exactly how I run mine now....I too felt the clean channel was too tight for my liking, but as described above, it has the elasticity I like in Fenders. :idea:

Latest posts

Back