Mark V Footswitch button issue

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Fore

Reaction score
Is anyone else with Mark V's having footswitch issues? The one I am having is re: Ch. 3. When switching from other channels and then hitting Ch. 3 it sometimes switches, sometimes not. It seems to work when initially turning the amp on and cycling through the channels a couple times. After that it starts to be random whether it switches or not. It appears as if the contact isn't being made as cleanly as the other channels.

I spoke to Mesa about it and they said they would not send a new footswitch. They told me to bring it to a service center and leave the amp there so it could be diagnosed formally before they would send out another switch to be installed. :roll:

Man thats a shame , sorry to hear that.
I havent had a foot switch problem , but i have had a problem with a poping and cracking noise when
my mark v powers up.

If you pay that kind of money for a amp , I expect no problems. Mesa should send you a new switch charge you for it and then credit your account when they recive the first one back

wnlively

do you know how to do simple DC electronics things, like solder and install pickups?

if so, you might could troubleshoot one possible cause of this. sounds like the problem could either be a loose connection in the footswitch or a problem in the amp. one way to tell might be to plug a normal latching (clicks when you step on it) footswitch with a 1/4" plug into the switching jack for channel 3 on the back panel of the amp. does it have the same problem? then the fault is probably inside the amp somewhere and you may need service. or does it always switch, even after you've cycled through the channels a couple times? then the problem must be somewhere in the connections to or inside the Mk V footswitch.

if you know how to track connectivity with a voltmeter and look for a loose or incomplete connection, you could check the solder joints going to the footswitch button for channel 3 and the joints from whatever wires connect the channel 3 button to the output jack. and resolder any connection that you find is flaking out.

WARNING: messing around inside the footswitch might void your warranty on it; i don't know. but for me, since i know how to troubleshoot simple DC electronics things like that, it sure beats leaving your new badass amp at a service center. good luck, whatever you decide.

I heard a crackling sound when i fired up my amp last night as well. Sounded like a piece of paper was in my fan or something, it stopped after a while. I wonder if it will do the same tonight?

mine did it-the cable didint initially make solid contact in the back of amp-I dicked with it, and it worked fine
i have a few other cables that I was going to try,but i had a short window of playing opportunity
kepping my eye on it/just seemed like the cable didnt initially go in deep enough(not a problem a man wants to have... :) )

Wow, thanks for the great replies... ALL of them! I'm going to do some troubleshooting based on your recos and see what happens. I have my Roadster cable so I will try that as well as the troubleshooting tips from Scott. The amp sounds so good I don't want to leave it anywhere overnight. I guess I could just leave it on Ch. 3 all the time. :p

i had the same problem. Just make sure your footswitch cable is in both jacks TIGHT, and finally only connect or disconnect the footswitch when the amp is OFF and in FOOTSWITCH mode. I made the mistake of just plopping it in while it was on, and i had the same problem. Those tips should fix it.
~mike~

t2mike2 said:
i had the same problem. Just make sure your footswitch cable is in both jacks TIGHT, and finally only connect or disconnect the footswitch when the amp is OFF and in FOOTSWITCH mode. I made the mistake of just plopping it in while it was on, and i had the same problem. Those tips should fix it.
~mike~

The footswitch connection thing about the amp being on is an interesting one. I remember turning the amp on to let her warm up and then connecting the footswitch. There was a loud "snizzap" sound that doesn't happen with any other Mesa amp, although not as loud as that weird tube crackle when you turn the amp off. That could very well have been the problem. Thanks again for the info.

Heard the crackle again lst night, sounds like it is coming from the fan? Anyone else notcie this?

Gizzorge said:
Heard the crackle again lst night, sounds like it is coming from the fan? Anyone else notcie this?

Sometimes fans like that will rub against their base (sounds like plastic scraping) until they get up to speed and lift off the base a little. Just a guess?

ok..my best guess so far-I replaced the cable with a lighter gauge cable-on mine, it seemed like it was sagging somewhat at the connection point on the back of the amp-I found another cable , and it just so happens to be of a lighter gauge-much better connection/no prob so far
...I have been A/B'ing with my C+ on top of it..the vibrations seemed to make it go nuts....put + in standby..and when I played the V, it still went ape crazy..the vibration was causing a bad conn. to get worse
so far, so good with new cable....and I have pumped up the vol...huge diff.....no more cable problem
...and man, this sh!t is fun!wife and kids are gone until late afternoon-i might play naked :D

Latest posts

Back