Mark V - Effects Recommendations Needed

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am a proud owner of a new Mark V Head and 212 Rectifier Cab, and I was looking for some suggestions regarding multieffects processors. Prior to the Mark V, I was using a Rocktron Prophesy preamp (which is a great preamp), and I am currently using it in the effects loop of the Mark V for the effects section. The Rocktron is a great preamp, and has some good effects, but I am looking to simplify my setup. I have been looking into the TC Electronic Nomad and G-System. I don't really use too many effects, just need a decent chorus, reverb, and delays. The G-System sounds great, but I don't think I would use 10% of its functionality, and am having a hard time justifying the cost for my needs.

Do any of you have experience with the Nomad or G-System? What about other similar multi-effects processors?

On a side note, here are some of my youtube links to hear my old setup (Prophesy, Carvin Tube Power Amp, Marshall 412). In the next few weeks, I plan on uploading a cover of Steve Vai's "For the Love of God" using the Mark V.

DragonForce cover "Through the Fire and Flames" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOxBCMOcgJo
Yngwie cover "Far Beyond the Sun" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k37KRvY3hRg
Satriani cober "Summer Song" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObdDyMEXAQY

Here's what I went through, looking like we both have the same needs for amps/effects based on your 10% comment. I bought a G-Force and used a little delay and some chorus for clean tones, but wanted mroe flexibilty for switching in one floor unit so I bought a G-System. Once I was done buying all the stuff you have to buy after buying the G-System (stereo cables, amp gizmo, hum eliminator, etc.) and running the 4-cable method, I was left with a somewhat tone sucking processor that I only used 10% of so it wasn't worth it.

Try before you buy and read the TC forum for the education so you know what you will have to buy before making it work.

I now just run a couple good pedals and switch the amp with the Mesa switcher it came with and am loving the simplicity.

+1

I use just the basics, a Boss DD-3, and a Boss Super Chorus, in the effects loop. I used the onboard reverb, and just use the Mark V footswitch. Saved alot of money, and its easier to trouble shoot.

I too cut back to just a couple of pedals and go right through the front end. I use a Keeley C4 Compressor, MXR Dstortion III(as Overdrive), MXR Stereo Chorus, DL-4, and ISP Decimator. Perfect for me, not over the top and provides lots of options. I've owned allot of Multi-FX units, none of them really got me overly excited. I have never owned a G-System though, so I cannot comment on it. I had a Nova System before and it was OK, I just like the simplicity of knobs versus drop-down menus.

I'm selling (almost) everything. Getting a G-System. You don't need any external devices unless you just really want to be able to use all eight switches on the V's footswitch. With the four available external switching jacks on a Mark V it isn't completely necessary.

The G System is, I think, the best of its class.

I hope you have better luck than the majority of people on that TC board. I ignored the TC board posters and convinced myself it was the be all, end all (which it is... on paper) and then ended up selling it because of all the same issues that other people had. Just trying to help. Please post your experience a month after you buy it.

To be fair, I used it with my Roadster and not my Mark's.

If you do want to take advantage of the Mark V's switching capabilities, you will need an Amp Gizmo with the G-System. There are functions that are not switchable via the jacks (reverb, tuner mute, reverb). You can only switch 4 functions with the G-System alone like you said.

Mark Fore said:
Here's what I went through, looking like we both have the same needs for amps/effects based on your 10% comment. I bought a G-Force and used a little delay and some chorus for clean tones, but wanted mroe flexibilty for switching in one floor unit so I bought a G-System. Once I was done buying all the stuff you have to buy after buying the G-System (stereo cables, amp gizmo, hum eliminator, etc.) and running the 4-cable method, I was left with a somewhat tone sucking processor that I only used 10% of so it wasn't worth it.

Try before you buy and read the TC forum for the education so you know what you will have to buy before making it work.

I now just run a couple good pedals and switch the amp with the Mesa switcher it came with and am loving the simplicity.
mine isnt a tone sucker, but I have owned it for 3 years...there is a learner's curve for sure..as far as external stuff, I already had a bunch of patch cords...i separate the unit from the foot controller so I dont have long cable runs...very clean setup/great tone in stereo setup

I will add that I did not have the patience. They do work, just not for me. :(

I've had a G-System for a few years and recently picked up the Mark V. The G-System was a ***** in my old rack due to grounding issues but it's really very simple to setup with the Mark V. As far as switching goes, I haven't tried yet but I'm about to go there.

had a g-system.. too much to lug, messes with ur tone a bit, and A LOT if you run the 4-cable method (impedance)...

ended up with an eventide time-factor, and thats it

I used lesterpaul's G-System, with the correct cable types and lengths, and I had no problems with tone suckage or hum. I suspect the complexity of the G-System keeps a lot of people from operating it correctly. I read the manual before I ever touched the box so I knew what to expect going in. A lot of people on the forum have problems that are easily remedied by simple things like doing what the manual tells you to do (balanced cables, short runs)

There is no need for tuner mute and reverb switches if you're using the G-System. It can mute the signal itself to tune, and I probably won't use the amp's reverb once I have a bunch of TC reverbs. Likewise, since the loop switches the phase of the amp, I probably will just leave it on all the time since it'll be in a stereo rig.

I also don't think it's going to be super difficult to set up. Six cables on a snake. Boom.

I just got my pitchfactor in today. I got it because it will do delay and a very basic chorus effect. That's all I really need and the pitch effects are cool extras. How the delay and chorus are the bees nees and BLOW AWAY the g major. I also have a suhr mini mix II coming this week so I can run the pitchfactor in killdry mode and not "kill" my tone.

On a side note, I also order a rjm mini amp gizmo and the mark v cable. I'm basically getting rid of my rack stuff and moving everything to a pedal board. Any body else doing something like this?

Later dudes!

Adam

phyrexia said:
I used lesterpaul's G-System, with the correct cable types and lengths, and I had no problems with tone suckage or hum. I suspect the complexity of the G-System keeps a lot of people from operating it correctly. I read the manual before I ever touched the box so I knew what to expect going in. A lot of people on the forum have problems that are easily remedied by simple things like doing what the manual tells you to do (balanced cables, short runs)

There is no need for tuner mute and reverb switches if you're using the G-System. It can mute the signal itself to tune, and I probably won't use the amp's reverb once I have a bunch of TC reverbs. Likewise, since the loop switches the phase of the amp, I probably will just leave it on all the time since it'll be in a stereo rig.

I also don't think it's going to be super difficult to set up. Six cables on a snake. Boom.

You might be in for a bit of a surprise, especially when it comes to what the manual tells you to do, which is almost never the case with the problems I've seen and experienced myself.

ironmaidenfriday said:
I am a proud owner of a new Mark V Head and 212 Rectifier Cab, and I was looking for some suggestions regarding multieffects processors. Prior to the Mark V, I was using a Rocktron Prophesy preamp (which is a great preamp), and I am currently using it in the effects loop of the Mark V for the effects section. The Rocktron is a great preamp, and has some good effects, but I am looking to simplify my setup. I have been looking into the TC Electronic Nomad and G-System. I don't really use too many effects, just need a decent chorus, reverb, and delays. The G-System sounds great, but I don't think I would use 10% of its functionality, and am having a hard time justifying the cost for my needs.

Do any of you have experience with the Nomad or G-System? What about other similar multi-effects processors?

On a side note, here are some of my youtube links to hear my old setup (Prophesy, Carvin Tube Power Amp, Marshall 412). In the next few weeks, I plan on uploading a cover of Steve Vai's "For the Love of God" using the Mark V.

DragonForce cover "Through the Fire and Flames" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOxBCMOcgJo

I don't own a Mark V - wish I did - have a Mesa 5:50 which I luv but I read the Mark V forum for some gassing.
One thing I do find bemusing here is the number of owners who are running poor quality effects thru their fab Mark V.
They've paid a huge $ price for the amp only to ruin it with cheap effects. Like mixing coke into Bollinger IMO.

A Mark V IMHO deserves the best so that means ditch the cheap MFX's and those Boss & Line 6 analog pedals. Most of these things tone suck your amp, are noisy and have poor tones.

So Mr Ironmaiden - you say you only need a few effects like delay, chorus etc so I recommend you get a couple of high quality analog stomp boxes. The Mark V already has great reverb so a few great stomps and you're done. G-Systems and MFX's are total overkill and you'll never use 99% of the effects.

For chorus get this
http://analogman.com/clone.htm

For delay I suggest this
http://www.tcelectronic.com/NovaDelay.asp

I wouldn't run anything less into my humble 5:50.
High quality analog pedals still provide the best quality IMO.
If you really want an MFX the only thing worthy of a Mark V is an Axe-Fx Ultra.

Newysurfer said:
ironmaidenfriday said:

I don't own a Mark V - wish I did - have a Mesa 5:50 which I luv but I read the Mark V forum for some gassing.
One thing I do find bemusing here is the number of owners who are running poor quality effects thru their fab Mark V.
They've paid a huge $ price for the amp only to ruin it with cheap effects. Like mixing coke into Bollinger IMO.

A Mark V IMHO deserves the best so that means ditch the cheap MFX's and those Boss & Line 6 analog pedals. Most of these things tone suck your amp, are noisy and have poor tones.

So Mr Ironmaiden - you say you only need a few effects like delay, chorus etc so I recommend you get a couple of high quality analog stomp boxes. The Mark V already has great reverb so a few great stomps and you're done. G-Systems and MFX's are total overkill and you'll never use 99% of the effects.

For chorus get this

For delay I suggest this

Are you calling the G-System a cheap MFX? Honestly, the Axe-FX is great for what it is but it's hypocritical that you mention not using all of the features of an MFX and recommend an amp modelling preamp for use with a multi-voiced amp...

As for being overkill, the G-System provides amp switching, overdrive/distortion loops for managing multiple pedals, and quick access to patches. Do you really think that nobody uses any of the other effects available in a G-System?

Axe-Fx is an amp modeler, not a multi effect processor. It can be used as such but amp modelling is its primary claim to fame. The best effect processor I have ever heard is the eventide eclipse. $2k is the reason I dont own one. :( For my Mk IV I have settled on the Boss GT-10 for bugetary reasons. (no extra control pedals to buy)

Iconoclysm said:
Newysurfer said:
ironmaidenfriday said:

For chorus get this

For delay I suggest this

Are you calling the G-System a cheap MFX? Honestly, the Axe-FX is great for what it is but it's hypocritical that you mention not using all of the features of an MFX and recommend an amp modelling preamp for use with a multi-voiced amp...

As for being overkill, the G-System provides amp switching, overdrive/distortion loops for managing multiple pedals, and quick access to patches. Do you really think that nobody uses any of the other effects available in a G-System?

Iconoclysm - you've missed my point entirely cause you're trying to take an imagined slight against the G-System. I never criticised the G-System at all in my post and I never recommended he get an Axe-Fx either. What I said is that from Ironmaiden's description he doesn't need any multi effects pedals at all. He only uses reverb, chorus & delay so by far the best & cheapest option IMO is a couple of great stomps.

A G-system, Axe, Boss GT etc is an expensive overkill if you only need chorus & delay. The 2 pedals I recommended will deliver equal quality chorus/leslie and delay as the Axe-FX for US$400.

I could not agree more with this. Since I got the Mark V in June I have been looking for good effects to use with it. I have gone through many a MFX processor and a gazillion true bypass analog pedals. While the analog pedals sounded really great, I had the "wow" moment only last week when I plugged in an Axe-Fx Ultra. I was initially very hesitant to get that processor since it costs as much as the Mark V, but I'm glad I did. Absolutely no adverse tone coloration and I told myself that finally there's a processor which does what I expect a processor to do. I would definitely recommend that you try it out if you can. In addition you can use it with the 4CM and take advantage of the amp simulations as well (I love the sound of the Marshall JCM-800 simulated and then warmed up by the Mark V power section). The simulations are out of the world IMO, and they come scarily close to being better than the actual amps simulated. However, the AFX is NOT a full replacement for a tub amp IMO. With the mark V, I found that it completed my rig beautifully. I have a whole bunch of high quality analog pedals to sell now :)

Good luck in your search.

cheers,
Supreeth

Latest posts

Back