Mark V - Effects Recommendations Needed

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Newysurfer said:
Iconoclysm said:
Are you calling the G-System a cheap MFX? Honestly, the Axe-FX is great for what it is but it's hypocritical that you mention not using all of the features of an MFX and recommend an amp modelling preamp for use with a multi-voiced amp...

As for being overkill, the G-System provides amp switching, overdrive/distortion loops for managing multiple pedals, and quick access to patches. Do you really think that nobody uses any of the other effects available in a G-System?

Iconoclysm - you've missed my point entirely cause you're trying to take an imagined slight against the G-System. I never criticised the G-System at all in my post and I never recommended he get an Axe-Fx either. What I said is that from Ironmaiden's description he doesn't need any multi effects pedals at all. He only uses reverb, chorus & delay so by far the best & cheapest option IMO is a couple of great stomps.

A G-system, Axe, Boss GT etc is an expensive overkill if you only need chorus & delay. The 2 pedals I recommended will deliver equal quality chorus/leslie and delay as the Axe-FX for US$400.

Honestly, I don't care if you were slighting my mother, what I saw was you saying something that didn't make sense. You shy away from a multieffects system but push a multieffects amp modeler that is even less useful for someone who just needs a couple of stomp boxes.

"If you really want an MFX the only thing worthy of a Mark V is an Axe-Fx Ultra."

That's what I was referring to...the Axe-FX is nice and all, but taking that over a G-System with a combo or head is really a headscratcher.

Iconoclysm said:
Newysurfer said:
Iconoclysm said:
Are you calling the G-System a cheap MFX? Honestly, the Axe-FX is great for what it is but it's hypocritical that you mention not using all of the features of an MFX and recommend an amp modelling preamp for use with a multi-voiced amp...

As for being overkill, the G-System provides amp switching, overdrive/distortion loops for managing multiple pedals, and quick access to patches. Do you really think that nobody uses any of the other effects available in a G-System?

Iconoclysm - you've missed my point entirely cause you're trying to take an imagined slight against the G-System. I never criticised the G-System at all in my post and I never recommended he get an Axe-Fx either. What I said is that from Ironmaiden's description he doesn't need any multi effects pedals at all. He only uses reverb, chorus & delay so by far the best & cheapest option IMO is a couple of great stomps.

A G-system, Axe, Boss GT etc is an expensive overkill if you only need chorus & delay. The 2 pedals I recommended will deliver equal quality chorus/leslie and delay as the Axe-FX for US$400.

Honestly, I don't care if you were slighting my mother, what I saw was you saying something that didn't make sense. You shy away from a multieffects system but push a multieffects amp modeler that is even less useful for someone who just needs a couple of stomp boxes.

"If you really want an MFX the only thing worthy of a Mark V is an Axe-Fx Ultra."

That's what I was referring to...the Axe-FX is nice and all, but taking that over a G-System with a combo or head is really a headscratcher.

Geez Iconoclism... you really do have trouble understanding english don't you. And you don't read things in context either. What you "saw" is not what I said. The only headscratcher is your last sentence :mrgreen:

Newysurfer said:
ironmaidenfriday said:
I am a proud owner of a new Mark V Head and 212 Rectifier Cab, and I was looking for some suggestions regarding multieffects processors. Prior to the Mark V, I was using a Rocktron Prophesy preamp (which is a great preamp), and I am currently using it in the effects loop of the Mark V for the effects section. The Rocktron is a great preamp, and has some good effects, but I am looking to simplify my setup. I have been looking into the TC Electronic Nomad and G-System. I don't really use too many effects, just need a decent chorus, reverb, and delays. The G-System sounds great, but I don't think I would use 10% of its functionality, and am having a hard time justifying the cost for my needs.

Do any of you have experience with the Nomad or G-System? What about other similar multi-effects processors?

On a side note, here are some of my youtube links to hear my old setup (Prophesy, Carvin Tube Power Amp, Marshall 412). In the next few weeks, I plan on uploading a cover of Steve Vai's "For the Love of God" using the Mark V.

DragonForce cover "Through the Fire and Flames" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOxBCMOcgJo
Yngwie cover "Far Beyond the Sun" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k37KRvY3hRg
Satriani cober "Summer Song" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObdDyMEXAQY

I don't own a Mark V - wish I did - have a Mesa 5:50 which I luv but I read the Mark V forum for some gassing.
One thing I do find bemusing here is the number of owners who are running poor quality effects thru their fab Mark V.
They've paid a huge $ price for the amp only to ruin it with cheap effects. Like mixing coke into Bollinger IMO.

A Mark V IMHO deserves the best so that means ditch the cheap MFX's and those Boss & Line 6 analog pedals. Most of these things tone suck your amp, are noisy and have poor tones.

So Mr Ironmaiden - you say you only need a few effects like delay, chorus etc so I recommend you get a couple of high quality analog stomp boxes. The Mark V already has great reverb so a few great stomps and you're done. G-Systems and MFX's are total overkill and you'll never use 99% of the effects.

For chorus get this
http://analogman.com/clone.htm

For delay I suggest this
http://www.tcelectronic.com/NovaDelay.asp

I wouldn't run anything less into my humble 5:50.
High quality analog pedals still provide the best quality IMO.
If you really want an MFX the only thing worthy of a Mark V is an Axe-Fx Ultra.

Sorry dude but you are way off.

I had the g sys with my stiletto and brilliant as it was it was just a total overkill for my needs. Sold the stiletto and got myself a mk4. Used a dl4, ehx mmwhazarai and ended with a boss dd 20. No tone suckage and as it is I like the boss best of the delays I've tried so far. Love the tc stuff but for me if I were to buy a high end delay it would surely be the timefactor. But for my delay needs the boss is enough.

Peace

I'm in the same boat. I've been using a GT-8 for a good while now and since I got my Mark V I just don't need it since it can't change all my amp channels. And, I've realized that I only use delay and the occasional chorus or phaser and the volume pedal. I'm selling the GT-8 and getting a Nova Delay and volume pedal instead (for starters). The reverb on the V is great, and there's no need to cover up the V's brilliant tone with effects...

Anyone else notice the tone is better when the FX loop is off on the footswitch? I don't mean when the loop is hard bypassed... just turned off via the footswitch.

Hey Everyone,

Thank you so much for responding with your recommendations. I basically narrowed it down to the Nova System and the G-Major 2. I own a G-Major 1, but my G.A.S. is getting the better of me. I am leaning toward the G-Major 2 because of the amp-switching capability. I emailed TC Electronics regarding the power of the Nova System vs. the G-Major 2, and received the following response (thought you guys might find it interesting if you are looking into either of these processors):

Discussion Thread
Response (Henrik) 10/28/2009 10:07 AM
Hi Randy,

Thank you for contacting TC support.

The core FX algorithms of both units are the same as the G-system, except in the G-Major 2 you'll find the retuned reverbs that are also in the G-System Limited we just launched. Furthermore, the G-Major 2 has more features and more sound options:

Eg. Nova System doesn't do Modulated Delays, doesn't have Univibe, Through zero Flanger and TriChorus . Furthermore G-Major 2 has a better MIDI implementation and control options. For bread and butter sounds Nova system is great as closed all-in-one solution , but the G-Major wins hands down when it comes to features.

Furthermore, the G-Major 2 has relays for remote channel switching of your amp

You need to have a MIDI foot controller though to use the unit to its full extent, though.

While we are on the subject of effects...

Does anybody know if the Mark 5's built-in reverb comes before or after the effects loop? I've been studing the on-line manual and, based on my understanding of how the effects loop bypass works, I'm guessing the reverb happens before the loop. That could get weird as the effects would then affect the reverb tail. I usually place reverb at the end.

Also... Can regular ol' analog stomp boxes (like a delay pedal) be used in the effects loop? Or do you think the hotter line level signal at the effects send would be too strong?

From the schematics the reverb comes to play just before the respective channel masters which feeds the GEQ which then go to the FX loop.

ironmaidenfriday said:
Hey Everyone,

Thank you so much for responding with your recommendations. I basically narrowed it down to the Nova System and the G-Major 2. I own a G-Major 1, but my G.A.S. is getting the better of me. I am leaning toward the G-Major 2 because of the amp-switching capability. I emailed TC Electronics regarding the power of the Nova System vs. the G-Major 2, and received the following response (thought you guys might find it interesting if you are looking into either of these processors):

Discussion Thread
Response (Henrik) 10/28/2009 10:07 AM
Hi Randy,

Thank you for contacting TC support.

The core FX algorithms of both units are the same as the G-system, except in the G-Major 2 you'll find the retuned reverbs that are also in the G-System Limited we just launched. Furthermore, the G-Major 2 has more features and more sound options:

Eg. Nova System doesn't do Modulated Delays, doesn't have Univibe, Through zero Flanger and TriChorus . Furthermore G-Major 2 has a better MIDI implementation and control options. For bread and butter sounds Nova system is great as closed all-in-one solution , but the G-Major wins hands down when it comes to features.

Furthermore, the G-Major 2 has relays for remote channel switching of your amp

You need to have a MIDI foot controller though to use the unit to its full extent, though.

I have a couple of G Majors (and all of the fun and trouble that goes with them) - bought a G Major 2 earlier this year and I love it. Just got the Mark V and it works fine with either the G Major or the G Major 2.

bp

Latest posts

Back