Mark V... easier to dial in?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetalMatt

Reaction score
Mesa does mention "finding your voice is easy" Will it really be be that easy?

Number of knobs, switches, sliders

Mark IV
Front 27
Back 11
Foot 6

Mark V
Front 45
Back 13
Foot 8

RoadKing II
Front 32
Back 29
Foot 9

Number of modes, push/pulls, switch positions/options....

Mark IV
Front 18
Back 19

Mark V
Front 42
Back 21

RoadKing II
Front 16
Back 65

I might have missed one :lol: but I think the "sectional" type layout with help.

Coming from a RoadKing, the Mark V looks easy...

Look at the Mark IV vs the V. The IV was confusing for some and some how adding more on the V is making it easier? I think it has to do with how the amp controls are layed out more than anything. Plus I find multiple channel amps that have shared controls are more difficult to dial in. All you have to do is looks at the V as three separate amps in one.

I just found it interesting and putting the info out there, for those interested. :)
Anyways the Mark V looks like it will be a VERY versatile amp.

You're right. Complete separation of controls, symmetry in control layout, and better labeling will have no effect on the end user's initial experience with this amp.

I don't it's the the number of switches or knobs that will make it harder to dial in. It'll depend if the V is like the IV where things like the amount of treble changes the effectiveness of the mid and bass controls, if the bright switch is on does it change the frequency of the presence control, if you turn the gain down is the bright switch more dominate, should you turn the gain past here in this mode. The options in the amp that aren't on a label but in the manual are what make these amps more of a challenge to dial in, not so much the switches themselves. At least that's what I notice trips people up.

Bourque said:
I don't it's the the number of switches or knobs that will make it harder to dial in. It'll depend if the V is like the IV where things like the amount of treble changes the effectiveness of the mid and bass controls, if the bright switch is on does it change the frequency of the presence control, if you turn the gain down is the bright switch more dominate, should you turn the gain past here in this mode. The options in the amp that aren't on a label but in the manual are what make these amps more of a challenge to dial in, not so much the switches themselves. At least that's what I notice trips people up.
That's a good point, but it's been that way since at least the Mark II, maybe the Mark I? Adjust Vol 1 and it affects the whole amp; Pull Bright is more effective at lower Vol 1 levels, etc.. That's the double-edged sword of Marks: they can be a source of frustration or great joy if you know how to coax them (sort of like women! :lol:) You have to find your own sweet spots. I think the Mark V layout and labeling will make it easier to find sweet spots and, moreover, RETURN to them after experimenting. For instance, I can see myself thinking "I need the Mark I Fat setting for this passage" rather than "Rhythm 2, pull presence, push gain", etc.. It's easier for me to remember the position of a switch or a slider than to remember to pull or push a pot. And having three separate sections will help as well. Just my $.02.

I dont think more knobs and switches translates into "harder to dial in". Actually i think the V having so many switches/knobs in front will make things easier, especially ahving the wattage switch right there. Dialing in any Mesa amp takes some time to learn what each knob does so for those coming from a very simple amp, it may seem like you need a Master's to dial in a good tone, but i think in actuallity the V's design will be extremely easy once you know how the eq contols react to one another. For me i wished the roadster had some of the rear controls on the front because when i am experimenting with new tones its a ***** to have to try and reach behind it.

Bourque said:
Those examples you cited are positives rather than negatives, as they're exactly what made previous Marks so versatile!

In fact, I'm praying the tone controls are still interactive on the Five... I just put in my order this week, and they'd better work just like those on the II, III and IV or I'll be pissed come April!! :lol:

I probably should have said that I thought they were positives. I agree man, I love that stuff. I'm for that rather then the car stereo eq approach.

Bourque said:

Ah you are right!... I forgot the knob characteristics that are Mesa. I hope the V still has them :lol:

JimmyB said:
In fact, I'm praying the tone controls are still interactive on the Five... or I'll be pissed come April!! :lol:
I'm sure they will be interactive. What Mesa knobs haven't been?!? :lol:

True! I guess I get skeptical with one gain knob though. I'm so use to having the gain to set the input level and then have the second stage to overdrive it I don't how I'd go back. It bugs me when I play other amps now haha!

jdurso said:
I dont think more knobs and switches translates into "harder to dial in". Actually i think the V having so many switches/knobs in front will make things easier, especially ahving the wattage switch right there. Dialing in any Mesa amp takes some time to learn what each knob does so for those coming from a very simple amp, it may seem like you need a Master's to dial in a good tone, but i think in actuallity the V's design will be extremely easy once you know how the eq contols react to one another. For me i wished the roadster had some of the rear controls on the front because when i am experimenting with new tones its a ***** to have to try and reach behind it.

+1
you can't have it both ways guys - providing more versatility in one package means adding some complexity because we're given loads more options. Provided the layout and design are made as logical and simple as possible you shouldn't complain if there's a few knobs to tweak. If you want simple go the Electra Dyne

And some amps with few knobs are hard to dial in anyways because the controls are too sensitive or not intuitive.

With the V it looks a total breeze to me compared to an MFX like a Boss GT. You want complicated try to tweak one of those beasts. Plus there's people who are tweakers and those that ain't. Some people luv endless fiddling with knobs and others get confused by a pedal with gain, tone, volume :mrgreen:

rabies said:
i honestly think some of you guys are destined to work for mesa/boogie, with all these intricate and thoughtful and charming pro-boogie comments. kill 'em all.

and "i wanna go to hell" - KMFDM

wait they're hiring?? I dont know how much skill i could offere them but if they want to implement an ERP system or some new processes, I'm there man :D

THere is research being done at Washington University Medical School that involves "dialing in" a perfect tone in order to activate the neural pathways around an area of neural damage. THe perfect tone is the actual frequency that triggers the neural awakening. In parallel findings....Penrose and Hammeroff found that human cells contain microtubules that work through vibration. These mirotubules act as frequency specific "microprocessors", thus tone is the carrier wave for conducting all the business of the body....communicating by way of different frequencies. Penrose was searching for a connection between the body and the quantum field. Hammeroff was searching for the connection between consciousness and cell function. Ok, to summerize, the human body is a receiver/translator in which consciousness interfaces with the quantum field through universal and potentially infinite frequencies of vibrations. Are we not the same as these scientists, seeking the perfect vibration to trigger ecstacy? Is not Mesa Boogie providing the scientific instruments (mark V & lonestar special....in my case) to do this noble research? We are investing in this sacred research, seeking a cure to uninspired lives.......I took one look at the Mark V and began selling gear. Mine is on order through Sigler Music in NW Arkansas. I seek the grail. 8)

Back