mark v durability

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pewtershmit

Reaction score
hey guys.

I've been a long time Mark IV user and I'm going to pick up a V very soon. Just one quesition.

On my 1998 mark IV the most annoying feature I found are the cheap plastic shafted pots on the thing. On such a great amp I really dont understand why you would use such flimsy easily breakable pots. I was loading my gear into my car after a gig and I bumped it on the tailgate and I hear the pots go *ploop* *ploop* *ploop* and 2 of my master volumes are gone and my lead presence! I also notice the plastic knobs, especially the push-pulls start to fatigue after a while.

I know the mark v doesn't have very many push pulls which I'm very happy about but does it still have cheap plastic pots on it? This isn't a deal breaker for me just curious!

Looking forward to chat up some Boogie with you guys. Later!

I think they are made of a very hard plastic material but they seem very robust to be. And the way they are placed in the chassis make them kind of protected...

thegaindeli said:
Plastic pots, brittle solder, and CAD PCB's... Sounds like a "road-warrior" to me. :?

Hey everyone, if we ignore "thegaindeli", do you think he will go away???

thegaindeli said:
Plastic pots, brittle solder, and CAD PCB's... Sounds like a "road-warrior" to me. :?

Everytime I read a ridiculous comment about the Mark V - sure enough, its your name on the post. I think you got lost, I'll help:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/

binnerscot said:
thegaindeli said:

Everytime I read a ridiculous comment about the Mark V - sure enough, its your name on the post. I think you got lost, I'll help:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/

Well said. I have come to know it is thegaindeli about 10 words into the post without looking believe it or not... seriously...

Pots with plastic shafts are used to isolate the knob from the chassis. This is a standard practice in electronics.

I never thought about that, and to think I repair guitars/amps at my store, how dumb of me.

The shafts don't seem as long the the V than on the IV which could be alot better for knocking that thing around.

2-ply toilet paper is used to lower the abrasion commonly felt by its single-ply counterpart...

I must have gotten ripped-off, cause I just checked my Soldano, Guytron, Fender Twin, Mark IIC+, Two-Rock, Fuch's, Mojave, Cornford, and Marshall Plexi... None of them have the "standard" plastic pots. WTF? Wait a minute... My Peavey "Deuce" does have plastic pots! Well, at least I have one amp that was designed properly... :roll:[/quote]

You took the time to check them all! Get a life! Start play the guitar for a change... What? You have no MkV and what is this ? A MkV forum! (I know, I know we should ignore him he'll come back with a thesis on the virtues of the metal pots versus the plastic pots, I don't care. If ever I break one I'll deal with it ..)

Plastic shaft or plastic casing? There's a difference.

I'll continue to feed the troll, because I have a feeling I'm more intelligent than it is.

2-ply toilet paper is used to lower the abrasion commonly felt by its single-ply counterpart...

I must have gotten ripped-off, cause I just checked my Soldano, Guytron, Fender Twin, Mark IIC+, Two-Rock, Fuch's, Mojave, Cornford, and Marshall Plexi... None of them have the "standard" plastic pots. WTF? Wait a minute... My Peavey "Deuce" does have plastic pots! Well, at least I have one amp that was designed properly... :roll:

You could very well be the most annoying forum member (emphasis on member) on the boards...

You could very well be the most annoying forum member (emphasis on member) on the boards...

That's because you know I'm correct... :wink:[/quote]

It is actually not. The reason I (and others) find you annoying is because in an otherwise constructive forum where folks come to share information and useful tips, your posts are distracting and irrelevant to the general subject.

I can always expect the text located to the right of your name to be negative, bashing and half truth. You have a tendancy to nit pick ridiculous things (like the great lead solder controversy or plastic pot stems, etc...) FYI - the computer you are typing on uses lead free solder, hope you're using a wireless keyboard so you don't get shocked when that solder gives way...

Basically, just lighten the hell up and stop being such a wet blanket. You don't always have to point out the self perceived negative in everything. I stated this before about you, but if you think the Mark V is such a sub standard amplifier, STOP HANGING AROUND THE MARK V FORUM AND BRINGING IT DOWN. Nobody likes it, nobody wants it.

You strike me as someone who spends more time strumming single chords while plugged into an amp to listen to the "tone" and buying /selling and tweaking rather than actually playing the **** amp. I'll bet I am right.

You strike me as someone who spends more time strumming single chords while plugged into an amp to listen to the "tone" and buying /selling and tweaking rather than actually playing the **** amp. I'll bet I am right.
Hey! I do that. But only for a couple weeks after new amp day. :D

The above is well written...times ten.

Usually, I stand clear of this type of foolishness, however, this has gone on for while now, and when I first signed up here, this type of nonsense was virtually nonexsistent...so I feel compelled to say something because I really do enjoy this forum & the folks on it for the most part.

One would think that after a person has stated that they do not think very highly of a piece of equipment, that in general, they would have nothing else to say, and thus, go on about their business.

You wound up not digging a particular amp, that,s fine, beautiful. You stated the reasons why? Again, thanks, opinion,s taken. Some minds perhaps changed, but I would think that most here, not.

However, when such an individual persists in negativity, bashing, bad mouthing, etc., on a forum soley dedicated to said piece, it,s usually indicative of lack of much else to do with themselves, or of a mudane and listless life in general (ie, lack of female companionship, friends, social acceptence somewhere, etc.)

We here on the Boogie Board, can do nothing more than wish this person well in their childlike quest for attention, or in other words... a total, constant, & complete ignoring of said individual until such person begins to show some decent level of maturity...which in this case, I would advise anyone here not to bet their sweet amps on it! :D

Although he may continue to "pop up" from time to time, eventually, (like a bad odor), said person not illciting any more response,s, will simply go away.

So, let us all do our part, starting, "tick, tick, tick, tick"....now.

Yeah guys,...I remember my first beer, :lol:

Latest posts

Back