Mark V - Delay In Loop

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

X - Road 28

Reaction score
Hello,

New owner of a MKV Head matched with a 1X12 3/4 Open Back Cabinet. Don't plan on adding very many pedal's, actually only a Wah and Delay. For the delay I'm considering a Strymon El Capistan, can you all share how you have your delay set up and if in the loop what cables are you using?

Mines a boomerang chorus delay combo unit. It's the only pedal in the loop so its pretty basic. Amp loop send to pedal in, pedal out to amp loop return.

And thats all she wrote, it sounds great.

I've had my Mark V for about a year now. I was running my CH-1 super chorus and DD-7 delay through the FX loop.

I've noticed a significant "drop" in high end/brightness as well as volume. I've started messin' round with various setups and right now, I've moved the CH-1 to the front (btw guitar and amp), and the DD-7 to the loop. Seems to have improved the setup.

I am using a TC electronics Nova Delay in the effects loop. I use two, one foot George L cables to connect it to the loop and place the actual unit on top of my Mark V head. Then I just use the Effects Loop On/Of on the foot controller to toggle the effect on and off. If you are using short high quality cables into a decent to high quality pedal, your loss of high end should be very minimal. In fact, I don't notice any tone loss.

Remember... crap in crap out.

For just a delay I have a Timefactor, connected with ten foot cables. No problems at all, the Timefactor has enough headroom that you can run the effect send pretty hot to offset any tonal loss from the cable run. Normally, though, I run a G-System also with ten foot cables. No issues there, either.

I also use an Eventide Timefactor in the loop. Loop vol around 12:00.
If I run the Timefactor in front of the amp, it sounds great for Ch1,
but Ch's 2/3 sound awful with the same delay settings. Just because in
general, delay sounds much better after distortion than before. But with delay in the
loop, I can keep the same delay settings and intensity for Ch1/2/3 and it's
much more subtle and useable. No more tap dancing when changing channels...

I use a Line6 M9 in the loop with a Pedal Snake and I love it... simple to set up, sounds great....

satch4u3 said:
I am using a TC electronics Nova Delay in the effects loop. I use two, one foot George L cables to connect it to the loop and place the actual unit on top of my Mark V head. Then I just use the Effects Loop On/Of on the foot controller to toggle the effect on and off. If you are using short high quality cables into a decent to high quality pedal, your loss of high end should be very minimal. In fact, I don't notice any tone loss.

Remember... crap in crap out.

I do the same with my combo using an Alesis Nanoverb, works great.

+1 on the timefactor. great delay pedal. currently using crappy patch cables and sitting it on top but looking to get a lava cable DIY kit. good cables can sometimes make all the difference

Back