Mark V Cab Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sea

Reaction score
I'm looking seriously into the Mark V Head and was told that theirs a 1X12 wide cab that Mesa makes that works really good with the Mark V head.

Is it the Mesa/Boogie 1x12 Thiele Widebody Cab? Looks like they're about $469 in the usa.

I was also thinking, what if I got 2 Mesa/Boogie 1x12 Thiele Widebody Cabs and then ran my FX stereo? Can I pan my effects through both cabs like stereo tremolo, echo, chorus, etc?

Jamie

The new widebody cab is not called a thiele because it's a different design. It is front ported like a thiele though. I love my EV loaded 3/4 back to death! They are my favorite 1x12s from Mesa.

You can use two 1x12 cabs, but you'll have to have a second power amp to run stereo effects.

MusicManJP6 said:
The new widebody cab is not called a thiele because it's a different design. It is front ported like a thiele though. I love my EV loaded 3/4 back to death! They are my favorite 1x12s from Mesa.

You can use two 1x12 cabs, but you'll have to have a second power amp to run stereo effects.

Do you have a link to the your EV loaded 3/4 back? What price in the usa?

Also, is the one you have the new widebody that works best with the Mark V Head?

Thanks again,
Jamie

sea said:
MusicManJP6 said:

Do you have a link to the your EV loaded 3/4 back? What price in the usa?

Also, is the one you have the new widebody that works best with the Mark V Head?

Thanks again,
Jamie

The 3/4 back cabs are a little different dimensions than a 'widebody'. Check Mesa's site for the specs. Mine originally came with a Black Shadow Celestion 90 and I recently replaced it with an original early '90s (nice and broken in) Electro Voice Black Shadow (200 watts handling!!). It is a very transparent and clear speaker. No speaker breakup whatsoever.

1x12 3/4 back cabs go for around $300 shipped on average I think. Best bang for your buck IMO. It's a 3/4 back design so it works well for both clean and distorted tones. Best of both worlds (closed back and open back).

I have both a 3/4 back 2x12 and an express 23 1x12(C90s in both) that sound great with my Mark V head. Also have a horizontal Recto 2x12 (V30s), but I don't like it as much with this amp, unless I'm feeling really aggressive...

The Thiele arrived today. It sounds great. I haven't broken the speaker in yet. I usually use a variac and break in the speaker using the Ted Weber method. This speaker had enough bottom, right out of the box.

Mark%20V%20with%20Thiele.JPG

JlMMY said:
The Thiele arrived today. It sounds great. I haven't broken the speaker in yet. I usually use a variac and break in the speaker using the Ted Weber method. This speaker had enough bottom, right out of the box.

That rig looks SWEEEEET!!!

JlMMY said:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ThieleCabW112/

It is funny that they list this as a Thiele. It is a closed back, ported 1x12, and that is all. I think they may be using the term as a bit of "hype", even though it is not loaded with the EV speaker. I'm sure that it adds much "beef" to the sound of the open back combo. That is a good thing, for sure. 8)

MusicManJP6 said:
JlMMY said:

That rig looks SWEEEEET!!!

Thanks man!

JlMMY said:

Awesome setup man! Love the Twin Strats. Are those Lace Sensors or EMG's?

JlMMY said:

How's it sound in the corner at the bottom of the steps like that?

Scary said:
How's it sound in the corner at the bottom of the steps like that?

Scary? : ) --- You spying on me? I moved it away from the other amps for the photo.

The "steps" and "railing" are just props. One thing I haven't been able to do is crank it to gig volume level. I haven't been in a band for about one month.

smd24fan said:
JlMMY said:

Thank You.

The guitars are the original (1988') Eric Clapton Signatures. They came stock with Lace. I removed the bridge Lace on both guitars in favor of a SD Hotrail. I have it setup with a coil tap which makes for a very versatile (thank god for spell checking) setup. One of the guitars has an original Floyd Rose. That is my favorite guitar. I have tried and own several others but the strat with a Floyd and SD Hotrail is really the ****, for me.

JlMMY said:
smd24fan said:
JlMMY said:

Thank You.

The guitars are the original (1988') Eric Clapton Signatures. They came stock with Lace. I removed the bridge Lace on both guitars in favor of a SD Hotrail. I have it setup with a coil tap which makes for a very versatile (thank god for spell checking) setup. One of the guitars has an original Floyd Rose. That is my favorite guitar. I have tried and own several others but the strat with a Floyd and SD Hotrail is really the sh!t, for me.

Sweet. I run a JB Jr. in the bridge of my Strat and it just rips as well!

http://store.mesahollywood.com/0-txcbb-w.html

^^

Is the boogie badge a standard feature on these??

Maybe so! It sure does look nice. It matches the Mark V perfectly with it's black piping and 4 screws attaching the grill. I'd love to hear one of these cabs...

Here's my Mark V rig....

But I opted for a Celestion V30 in the cab to better balance between clean and OD tones. Perfect blend.

RigPic1-1.jpg

I just picked up one of the Thiele widebody ported cabs from Sweetwater Music after reading about it here. Arrived on Friday and have to say the customer service from Sweetwater was amazing. Came brand new in a never opened Mesa box. Mine did not have the boogie badge but will order one. It does sound good and have to change most of my settings now. Thinking of getting another to make a mini stack. By the way I called Mesa and asked about this cab since it is not on the website, they said it is not really a Thiele cab but just a front ported cab that was not really built as a cab just because of the Mark V but as a cab in the lineup as general.

Jazz, the v30 is in the 1x12 right? how does it sound and was it any extra money or hassel getting that swapped out ?

also it looks like you have a towel between the two to protect the tolex on the bottom cab, do the rubber feet from the combo not come low enough to stop the trak-loc sliders from touching it?

Latest posts

Back