Mark V bashing / hate

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dodger916 said:
How many thousands of these "niche" amps did Mesa sell over ~ 15 years, and exactly what niche was it filling? To me a Dumble clone is a niche amp. Anyone who believes the IV is only a metal amp is missing its versatility.

How many Rectifiers did Mesa sell during that same time period?

Jazz is a niche. Prog is a niche. Guys that want to sound like Noodles is a niche.

Prior to the Mark V the majority of Mark threads I read on here were of the III and the Triaxis/2:90. The IIC+ had its obviuos following but most couldn't or wouldn't spend the money to buy one so conversation was obviously limited. The IV was never particularly popular, even amongst metalheads. If you sit and think of every guitarist you know of that uses a IV, then think of every guitarist you know of that uses a Recto, JCM, or Twin then the relative nicheness of the IV really starts to stand out.

I've never owned a IV but from the videos I see, everyone is using some sort of boost / od up front.

With the MKV, I'm noticing now, since I'm learning more about it, that a boost / od up front is not needed.

Actually, a boost is not just to add more gain for when you run out of gain. Generally the internal gain overdrives a particular gain circuit. By boosting the front, you can overdrive the front-end and/or intermediate circuits and get a different kind of overdrive character. Sometimes internal gain can be overly smooth or compressed, and boosting the front can give a more raw tone.

screamingdaisy said:
dodger916 said:
How many thousands of these "niche" amps did Mesa sell over ~ 15 years, and exactly what niche was it filling? To me a Dumble clone is a niche amp. Anyone who believes the IV is only a metal amp is missing its versatility.

How many Rectifiers did Mesa sell during that same time period?

Jazz is a niche. Prog is a niche. Guys that want to sound like Noodles is a niche.

Prior to the Mark V the majority of Mark threads I read on here were of the III and the Triaxis/2:90. The IIC+ had its obviuos following but most couldn't or wouldn't spend the money to buy one so conversation was obviously limited. The IV was never particularly popular, even amongst metalheads. If you sit and think of every guitarist you know of that uses a IV, then think of every guitarist you know of that uses a Recto, JCM, or Twin then the relative nicheness of the IV really starts to stand out.

I don't see where you answered my question to your comment. If it has broad application as you suggest (jazz, Prog, "Noodles"), then can it be considered niche? It may not be The Best Metal Amp for all circumstances, but it can certainly cover that ground. Jazz to metal is a pretty broad "niche". I don't follow guitarists and their gear; I write and play. The IV covers lots of ground, so I don't see where it's a "niche" amp. To me, a Dumble clone is an example of a niche amp, not a Mark IV.

dodger916 said:
I don't see where you answered my question to your comment. If it has broad application as you suggest (jazz, Prog, "Noodles"), then can it be considered niche?

If a product successfully fills a number of niches yet never achieves mainstream success is it not by definition a niche product?

ryjan said:
Anyone who puts a pedal in front of a Mark amp probably puts ketchup on their steak. Sacrilege.

A boost will take a Mark places where it can't go on its own. Also, proper gain structuring with just one OD pedal can turn three channels into six.

ryjan said:
Anyone who puts a pedal in front of a Mark amp probably puts ketchup on their steak. Sacrilege.

Well ok then, guess I'll move my wah into the loop and sound like Randy Rhoads. Happy?

Besides, not being allowed to use OD on channels 1 and 2 seems silly. You can make a case for not needing an OD on channel 3 but at least my V has two other channels as well and I actually use those channels.

Putting an EQ pedal in front of your Mark V instead of the loop makes sense if you want to manipulate the amp feel and gain structure rather than its timbre. Not vital with the V because the channel pots already let you do this, to a limited degree, but some players appreciate the added versatility.

Finally, my harmonizer/pitch-shifter pedal sounds like muffled mud in the loop. Miles better in front. But since not many players use these effects, I guess that's kind of marginal.

screamingdaisy said:
dodger916 said:
I don't see where you answered my question to your comment. If it has broad application as you suggest (jazz, Prog, "Noodles"), then can it be considered niche?

If a product successfully fills a number of niches yet never achieves mainstream success is it not by definition a niche product?

If mainstream success is the criterion, then yes. I would guess it's easier to spot Marshalls than Mark IVs on the stages of well-known music acts. Across the entire popular music "universe" it's probably easier to spot Fenders and Marshalls than Marks, Lonestars, even Rectifiers. Using the mainstream success criterion, I suppose the vast majority of Boogies would be considered niche despite the ability of these amps to cover multiple genres and niches. I just don't believe Mark owners would consider their amps niche, but I could be wrong...

ryjan said:
Well... I put a Compressor and a CryBaby in front. Cause that's where they go. Can't put a CryBaby or a compressor in the loop or I would.

OldTelecasterMan said:
ryjan said:
Well... I put a Compressor and a CryBaby in front. Cause that's where they go. Can't put a CryBaby or a compressor in the loop or I would.
Boost pedal.

I prefer chorus in front of the amp as well. Also running an ISP Decimator in front (works better than in the loop in my experience) and a boost pedal for different flavors.

ryjan said:
Boost pedal.

So, you only use the high-gain channel on your V? :wink:

Most modes on the first two channels (on the big V) can paired with an OD for some very tasty combinations. You can boost the clean channel for blues overdrive. You can boost the Crunch mode (or even the Edge mode) for a classic 1980s hard/heavy rock distortion sound. And so on. In many cases, the results will be more delicious than the V on its own.

Channel 3 (2 on the mini) is the only channel on the V that doesn't love an OD pedal.

LesPaul70 said:
ryjan said:
Boost pedal.

So, you only use the high-gain channel on your V? :wink:

Most modes on the first two channels (on the big V) can paired with an OD for some very tasty combinations. You can boost the clean channel for blues overdrive. You can boost the Crunch mode (or even the Edge mode) for a classic 1980s hard/heavy rock distortion sound. And so on. In many cases, the results will be more delicious than the V on its own.

Channel 3 (2 on the mini) is the only channel on the V that doesn't love an OD pedal.
Nah. I use the amp how it was intended. The voicings on the channels suit me fine.

Just pointing out that anytime one uses EMGs/actives in their guitar (like 3/4 of my guitars tbh) they are using a boost on all channels, it's just built-in the pickup instead of in pedal form.

The only problem with the mark v is that it named its channels after previous models. They should have let the channels abd modes stand on their own with generic names and people wouldn't constantly compare and bash, just call it the next amp is a great series. There's plenty of gain. That part is user error I'm thinking 90% of the time. It won't do drop C screaming well. But the 4 didn't really either. The mark series has always been about more "classic" metal tones.

Latest posts

Back