mark v and triaxis question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masque

Reaction score
hey guys....here's my situation.....i have been a boogie guy since i got my triaxis in 1999. to my ears it's an awesome piece of equipment and I have loved it since the day i got it. I also own a marshall jvm 410h, fender amps and floor models like the boss gt-8 etc.... i'm a gear head like all of us.

the mark v has been on my radar since it came out and i just cant get rid of the tremendous GAS i am feeling for it. i have worn my head out listening to you tube clips in recent weeks and i have worn the cover off the new dream theater cd listening to the mark v in action.

my question is for those of you that have experience in dealing with both the mark v and the triaxis what are the pros and cons of owning one vs the other? in other words, in my case, already owning the triaxis, what would I be picking up in getting the mark v? would I see a $2100 difference in my tone?

I know, i know, the questions of tone are all subjective but I am just curious of your opinions and hoping to get some honest answers. thanks in advance for your help.

I hate to say this as I also own a Triaxis, but the difference between the two is night and day, of course it depends on the power amp that you use with the Triaxis,

I had an hour or so with a Mark V head in my local music store a couple of weeks ago and it blew me away, just sounded huge and warm through a 4x12 with V30s

I'll be selling my Triaxis when I have enough saved for the MKV for sure

I have the TriAxis and I've had it since last year. I've heard the Mark V before, liked the tone to the same extent as I like my TA+2:90, and there are times when I seriously GAS for the V too but I think I wouldn't sacrifice the "gigability" (one button switching vs the MKV's footswitch) of the TA for a Mark V head.

masque said:
hey guys....here's my situation.....i have been a boogie guy since i got my triaxis in 1999. to my ears it's an awesome piece of equipment and I have loved it since the day i got it. I also own a marshall jvm 410h, fender amps and floor models like the boss gt-8 etc.... i'm a gear head like all of us.

the mark v has been on my radar since it came out and i just cant get rid of the tremendous GAS i am feeling for it. i have worn my head out listening to you tube clips in recent weeks and i have worn the cover off the new dream theater cd listening to the mark v in action.

my question is for those of you that have experience in dealing with both the mark v and the triaxis what are the pros and cons of owning one vs the other? in other words, in my case, already owning the triaxis, what would I be picking up in getting the mark v? would I see a $2100 difference in my tone?

I know, i know, the questions of tone are all subjective but I am just curious of your opinions and hoping to get some honest answers. thanks in advance for your help.

Gear head? No - none of us, must be just you :) Ha ha ha...

Dude I seriously don't know the answer for you - but the Mark V is causing me some GAS too. I have a IIC+ 1x12 combo with EV, original 2 channel Rectum Frier, Triaxis/2:90, Subway-Rocket ... a wife and kids so I'll be lucky to get strings.

If a guy walks in off the street and wants to buy only one Boogie then the Mark V may well be it - it'll be cheaper (especially a combo), when you compare it a Triaxis plus a good power amp like the 2:90, cabinet and MIDI - but I assume you already have all that so I can't see what you'll gain?

I see both the Triaxis and Mark V as encyclopaedias of Boogie tone, neither really has their own voicing (maybe Extreme and Ld2.Red?) but they both dig deep to bring classic Boogie. And that's good IMHO. Although the Triaxis also has a serious Rectifier option which the Mark V doesn't have.

Every time I dial a killer tone on the C+ I rush to the Triaxis to see if it'll do that -- every time I am left smiling. The Triaxis is certainly top shelf.

If JP recorded with a Triaxis I seriously doubt any one of us could pick the difference. He's in bed with MB (lucky him), he always ends up using and show casing the latest gear. But he always sounds good, must be his skill and music not any particular MB amp.

I don't believe most people appreciate how great the Triaxis is, often they have too much gain and or FX. I use real pedals and Nanoverb (/Rocktron Patchmate) and only a tiny amount of Nanoverb or most often DRY - that's the secret to making a Triaxis / 2:90 sound like an amp head - avoid all the other cr@p.

I must admit I love small amps: Fender Champ, 18w Marshall, Dr Z Maz and would hope the Mark V with all it's extra power amp options can do that small amp thing but I doubt it. I'll bet it's a "big amp with some low power options" and lugging will certainly not be a breeze. So no small amp mojo for me. (My C+ is better than the Subway Rocket - no question - but you know which one I prefer to lug and take out most often ... )

Dunno about you but unless I can find a Mark V for $1000 to $1500 I'm staying put.

Best wishes - keep us informed bro.

Cheers.

All the options of the V will cop all the Ty tones from 'Out of the Silent Planet' to 'XV'! Mostly the self-titled, though. :twisted: :twisted:

I have a triaxis 290 set up and a mark v head. From my experience comparing the two, the triaxis is much more compressed compared to the V. Both amps got tremendous tone to offer for those that are willing to tweak it. I'd have to give the V an edge in terms of on the fly adjustment especially if you are a gigging musician, BUT, nothing beats midi programmability of MIDI. If you are taking into consideration ease of use while playing live, i'll give the V the edge, if you're looking to get a vast array of tones, triaxis takes it especially partnered with the 290 with the power amps voicings....

In my situation playing live 3x a week, i usually would go with the V, less gear to carry (big midi footswitch) and easy on the fly adjustment. If, you're really gassing for a V, go get it and get it out of your system! Plus, carrying the triaxis, 290, g force, furmans in my rack is HEAVY!!

What would you be gaining for the $$$ amount for the V compared with the triaxis? There isn't really a big difference in tone, or 2100 reasons if you consider the tones out of the triaxis compared to the V. What you'll get with the V is on the fly adjustment rather than hitting enter twice in your triaxis to save a preset, plus the damned loop switch cycle you have to do. Be wary of the slight delay when changing channels via footswich on the V though, it never really affected me live until on my recent gig when I had to switch from clean to distortion.

Although, my gut feel is you already made up your mind and will get the V! :D

Some good points here.

Like A_Ryder said, they're both encyclopedias of MB tones. If I were to choose again I would choose the TA because of MIDI. But either way, I don't think you'd gain a lot by buying a Mark. Unless you really want a head for portability reasons.

Oh, I forgot the Lead 1 RED mode of the TriAxis. Yeah, well, put bluntly, if you're a metalhead that needs a tone that will make the audience **** itself, the Mark V can't really pump out something as nasty and relentless as that.

I can't really tell you if it is worth the money or not. Tone and feel of amps are subjective so it's best if you can spend some quality time with the v to figure it out. For me the V offers a better experience when tweaking, I prefer the knobs. Tone wise I prefer channel 1 and 2 on the V over the triaxis' clean modes. I haven't been able dial in anything on ch3 that beats lead yellow 2 on the triaxis. That channel alone has me holding on to the triaxis. I don't take advantage of the midi capabilities of the triaxis yet (I'm working on it), so there is that whole dimension.

Honestly if I had todo it over again I wish I wouldn't have picked up the triaxis because I dont take full advantage of it. I would have the cash to pickup the ra100 and add a really different vibe to my palette. But since I do know what I'd be missing, the ra100 will have to wait :)

Good luck!

Knobs. The Mark V has knobs, and knobs are better.

Sounds funny, but I used to hate tweaking my Triaxis; those little button-ish things...didn't like 'em. Not to mention the rack that beckons you to fill every space.

Now, I don't use any effects with my Mark V. It's my guitar, my head and a 2x12. Love it.

Jedro said:

Sounds funny, but I used to hate tweaking my Triaxis; those little button-ish things...didn't like 'em.

That is a very valid point. I feel while the TriAxis is versatile the increments limit it's versatility.

Jedro said:
Not to mention the rack that beckons you to fill every space.

Well I bought a 4HE rack just for ventilation reasons, if you get a 3HE rack it looks more or less like a "square" amp head, though it weighs a fukin' ton. :mrgreen:

Jedro said:
Honestly if I had to do it over again I wish I wouldn't have picked up the triaxis because I dont take full advantage of it.

Also another valid point.

I use the FX loop frequently for some reverb+chorus/phase, sometimes acoustic sim on cleans, off for drive tones, I use MIDI switching that enables me 1 step switching and I'm in dire need of that because I also sing+play live. I use Continuous Control on some patches, run the TriAxis into my JVM's poweramp or the JVM's preamp into the 2:90, and I have tones that I like dialed in for every mode except Lead 2 Red (still working on that one).
So to me having a TriAxis is a no-brainer because there isn't a thing on it that I don't use.

Try thinking that over and see if it's worth keeping in that sense.

I use the FX loop frequently for some reverb+chorus/phase, sometimes acoustic sim on cleans, off for drive tones, I use MIDI switching that enables me 1 step switching and I'm in dire need of that because I also sing+play live. I use Continuous Control on some patches, run the TriAxis into my JVM's poweramp or the JVM's preamp into the 2:90, and I have tones that I like dialed in for every mode except Lead 2 Red (still working on that one).
So to me having a TriAxis is a no-brainer because there isn't a thing on it that I don't use.

I was really trying to give the triaxis a complement. Basically inspite of not using all the extra features it still stands on it's own in the tone dept. The midi capabilities are icing on the cake. So especially in your case the triaxis would give the mark v a run for it's money.

Jackie said:
Jedro said:

Sounds funny, but I used to hate tweaking my Triaxis; those little button-ish things...didn't like 'em.

That is a very valid point. I feel while the TriAxis is versatile the increments limit it's versatility.

Jedro said:
Not to mention the rack that beckons you to fill every space.

Well I bought a 4HE rack just for ventilation reasons, if you get a 3HE rack it looks more or less like a "square" amp head, though it weighs a fukin' ton. :mrgreen:

Jedro said:
Honestly if I had to do it over again I wish I wouldn't have picked up the triaxis because I dont take full advantage of it.

but the Mark V fits in great with a full midi system, just use the four switching jacks on the back with a midi switcher

or even simpler use an RJM amp gizmo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSDZpZmqddo

I Have the answer !
Do like me Buy both !
But now start problem which one use for gigs .......
I like combinaison between triaxis and gforce sur I love true sound of MKV very pure and direct ....
Bloody Hell !

I have both.
I run the Triaxis into the loop return of the V. That way I can A/B between the V and the Triaxis using the footswitch
There is nothing compressed about it and I don't understand why people keep repeating it over and over. The Triaxis slays most of the Mark V channel 2 and 3 preamp sounds in my opinion. It even sounds good using the combo speaker which I cannot say for the Mark V channels.
There is nothing close about them except they are made by mesa in my humble opinion.
Lead 2 yellow and Lead 1 red (nonfat) don't exist on the V.

ziggys said:
I have both.
I run the Triaxis into the loop return of the V. That way I can A/B between the V and the Triaxis using the footswitch
There is nothing compressed about it and I don't understand why people keep repeating it over and over. The Triaxis slays most of the Mark V channel 2 and 3 preamp sounds in my opinion. It even sounds good using the combo speaker which I cannot say for the Mark V channels.
There is nothing close about them except they are made by mesa in my humble opinion.
Lead 2 yellow and Lead 1 red (nonfat) don't exist on the V.

+1 on the Lead 1 Red option

I used the Triaxis / 2:90 set up for years, and have hankered after that tone ever since I sold the rig.

Ziggys - could you post a pic of how your Tri is set up through the MKV? What do you connect to the loop return on the Tri? I am assuming you engage / kill it with the MKV EQ FS with no issues in sound level etc. Is the loop transparent / responsive?

You've got me gassing now, as I cannot find "home" on CH3 of the MKV, but know how to get there through the TRiaxis :mrgreen:

The V is a great amp! It's a good reproduction of the IIC+ sound and I can say that since I own one lol. I think the MK IV sound is an improvement to me and I got rid of a MK IV to get the V.

The clean channel is the best I've heard from boogie yet. Very close to the Dyne.

What you gain is the great classic Marshall type tones in channel 2 like the Crunch mode. You also gain options like choosing tube or silicone diode rectifiers and power amp output. I absolutely love the V. If you have the cash keep the Triaxis and get the V.

Good Luck!

Chester:
Can't do a picture but the setup isn't too complex.
You need an AB/Y pedal: if you don't know what that is, google it.
The best one I have found that really works without ground loops is the Radial Tonebone TwinCity ABY amp switcher.

Guitar to Radial.
Output A to Input of Mark V
Output B to Input of Triaxis.

Output of Triaxis to Loop Return of Mark V

Set Radial to "Both"

Make sure MarkV has loop enabled

Now, when you hit the "FX" switch (light on) of the MarkV you will hear only the Triaxis and when you hit it again (light off) you will hear your guitar passing to the Mark V.
Although the EQ sliders don't affect the Triaxis, (Unlike MarkIV or III) your choice of channel, mode, presence, solo and wattage settings has a profound effect on it.
I have no way to AB the Triaxis in the MarkV loop other than it is fantastic and seems compatible level-wise.
However, the only caveat is that I think the MarkV sounds better with the loop disengaged. But it is a small sacrifice.

ziggys said:
Chester:
Can't do a picture but the setup isn't too complex.
You need an AB/Y pedal: if you don't know what that is, google it.
The best one I have found that really works without ground loops is the Radial Tonebone TwinCity ABY amp switcher.

Guitar to Radial.
Output A to Input of Mark V
Output B to Input of Triaxis.

Output of Triaxis to Loop Return of Mark V

Set Radial to "Both"

Make sure MarkV has loop enabled

Now, when you hit the "FX" switch (light on) of the MarkV you will hear only the Triaxis and when you hit it again (light off) you will hear your guitar passing to the Mark V.
Although the EQ sliders don't affect the Triaxis, (Unlike MarkIV or III) your choice of channel, mode, presence, solo and wattage settings has a profound effect on it.
I have no way to AB the Triaxis in the MarkV loop other than it is fantastic and seems compatible level-wise.
However, the only caveat is that I think the MarkV sounds better with the loop disengaged. But it is a small sacrifice.

Many thanks Ziggys - let's see how I get on with this option. Yet more tweaking options through the V! :mrgreen:

BTW, I also agree the MKV sounds best without loop engaged

Back