Mark V and G Major 2/effects loop

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bclanc159

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Just got a G Major 2 and am having some trouble getting sound out of it.
I have it connected to the send/receive of the effects loop, and to the in/out of the G Major using instrument cables.
I'm also using the Mark V foot switch.

Is this the right way to set it up? Appears to be based on the directions.
Is there a certain setting that needs to be toggled in the back?
I see mention of the "4 cable method" here, not sure if that's what I should be implementing.
I also got a Behringer MIDI Footcontroller but have yet to bring that into the mix.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Fx loop send-input of G-Major-output of G-Major-fx loop return.

And turn on the loop on the back of the amp.

Also check the send knob on the back of the amp (set it to about 12 o´clock to begin with) and the input/output knobs on the G-Major.

You should be able to see on the display on the front of the G-Major if you are getting a signal from the amp.

Bullen said:
Fx loop send-input of G-Major-output of G-Major-fx loop return.

And turn on the loop on the back of the amp.

Also check the send knob on the back of the amp (set it to about 12 o´clock to begin with) and the input/output knobs on the G-Major.

You should be able to see on the display on the front of the G-Major if you are getting a signal from the amp.

Yeah that's how I have it.

Channel Select and Loop Assign are set to footswitch.
Cables are connected where they should.
Loop Active is switched up.
When I have the FX loop lit on the footswitch, there's no sound (actually there is if I turn the output up in front but the effects aren't in the sound and it's a heavily lowered volume).
When FX is off, I have my usual switching between channels 1,2,3,etc.

I've read and re-read the manual(s), seems like it should be working.

I should have all the equipment needed.
Mark V head, 2x12 cab, footswitch, g major 2, 2 instrument cables to run to and from the amp and g major.

Anything seem like it's set wrong here?

Once in a while people have problems with the loop switch on the footswitch itself. Try switching the selector knob on the rear to "On All" to make sure it isn't the footswitch or it's cable.

Hmm...starting to get a little worried here.
I thought maybe I was doing something glaringly wrong, or was missing something entirely.
I'm not getting any variance in db's on the g major, I believe that is supposed to go up and down based on the signal.

I've tried the "On All," no luck.

Any other suggestions?

bclanc159 said:
I thought maybe I was doing something glaringly wrong, or was missing something entirely.
I'm not getting any variance in db's on the g major, I believe that is supposed to go up and down based on the signal.

Any other suggestions?

there are two volume level knobs on the front (left side) of the Gmajor, have you tried maxing those out, one other thing could be a bad cable. or Have you tried switching your connections, maybe you have the cables hooked up backwards, that's the only way mine does not get any sound at all. I'll try to post pics of how I have mine connected after work though.

MesaManBoogie said:
bclanc159 said:

Any other suggestions?

there are two volume level knobs on the front (left side) of the Gmajor, have you tried maxing those out, one other thing could be a bad cable. or Have you tried switching your connections, maybe you have the cables hooked up backwards, that's the only way mine does not get any sound at all. I'll try to post pics of how I have mine connected after work though.

Brand new cable so I haven't tried yet, but yes, please do post pics if possible.
I've tried maxing the knobs on the g major and back of the amp, no change.
Also have tried switching connections.
BTW this is my 2nd g major, the first was the original and that was a "floor model" I got clearance from guitar center and with some more research I decided to stretch and get the GM2 instead. I had the same issue with the original g major and figured maybe I had something setup wrong. I haven't used the EFX loop before and the amp is fairly new, just a couple of months old. I'm hoping I'm just looking over something stupid!

Taking a looking at the G Major 2 fx on the rear panel using the manual here..bah...sorry piece of work the manual is...(and I'm a big fan of TC products :twisted: )
Please explain all your wire connections in detail...something seems off..

Is there a way to toggle between Serial Loop and Parallel Loop in the GMajor2? (Use Serial Loops)

You said you are using the IN/OUT on the GMajor2 rear panel? ...it doesnt appear that you're using the 4 Cable Method here...so you're not seperating the preamp and poweramp before inserting the GMajor2 in the loop..

bclanc159 said:
MesaManBoogie said:
bclanc159 said:

Any other suggestions?

Brand new cable so I haven't tried yet, but yes, please do post pics if possible.
I've tried maxing the knobs on the g major and back of the amp, no change.
Also have tried switching connections.
BTW this is my 2nd g major, the first was the original and that was a "floor model" I got clearance from guitar center and with some more research I decided to stretch and get the GM2 instead. I had the same issue with the original g major and figured maybe I had something setup wrong. I haven't used the EFX loop before and the amp is fairly new, just a couple of months old. I'm hoping I'm just looking over something stupid!

If this does not work, then I would try doing a full reset on your G major.

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

Goodluck

HeadlessAxeman said:
Taking a looking at the G Major 2 fx on the rear panel using the manual here..bah...sorry piece of work the manual is...(and I'm a big fan of TC products :twisted: )

Is there a way to toggle between Serial Loop and Parallel Loop in the GMajor2? (Use Serial Loops)

You said you are using the IN/OUT on the GMajor2 rear panel? ...it doesnt appear that you're using the 4 Cable Method here...so you're not seperating the preamp and poweramp before inserting the GMajor2 in the loop..

I think I need clarification on the 4 Cable Method here, especially after those pics...
I had instrument cables going from the output on the far left, and the other from the input on the far right.
Seems like I'm doing something way wrong here, as I had nothing plugged into any of the left/right, or under the MIDI like in the picture. I feel lost lol
Am I missing any equipment/cables needed here?

All that's in play:
Mark V head, cab, GM2, 2 instrument cables to/from efx loop and GM2, footswitch, and of course cable to the guitar in the front. Anything that is obviously missing from this list?

Thanks for all the help guys, this is my first time trying to set this type of stuff up. I've always been just a simple amp and guitar guy!

Plug your guitar into the input of your GM2 and see if you get any signal at all. If yes, one of your loop wires is fubar-ed. If you aren't getting any signal it is safe to say that the volume level of the input into the GM2, or either the output of the GM2 or the volume of the preset you are on is at '0'. Try a few cables to be sure.

When wiring, as mentioned, the send of the Mark goes into the input of the GM2, and the output of the GM2 goes into the return of the Mark. Check that the light for the Loop is on both on the front of the amp (above power switches) and on your footswitch.

I had instrument cables going from the output on the far left, and the other from the input on the far right.

The far right input jack is external control (like an external footswitch)..
The pics you saw WILL WORK..but isn't techincally the 4 Cable Method. To use the 4 CM Method, you'll need a Send / Receive (or equivalent) on your GMajor2 as well (which I don't know if it has one or not)

Google for 4 CM Method :)
Cheers man..and hope you get it to work.

bclanc159 said:
HeadlessAxeman said:

I think I need clarification on the 4 Cable Method here, especially after those pics...
Seems like I'm doing something way wrong here, as I had nothing plugged into any of the left/right, or under the MIDI like in the picture. I feel lost lol

All that's in play:
Mark V head, cab, GM2, 2 instrument cables to/from efx loop and GM2, footswitch, and of course cable to the guitar in the front. Anything that is obviously missing from this list?

Thanks for all the help guys, this is my first time trying to set this type of stuff up. I've always been just a simple amp and guitar guy!

I don't think the 4 cable method is possible with the G major. You got all you need, just connect the instrument cables you have like in the pictures and your regular guitar cable one end to the input in fron of the amp and the other to you guitar.

MesaManBoogie said:
bclanc159 said:
HeadlessAxeman said:

All that's in play:

I don't think the 4 cable method is possible with the G major. You got all you need, just connect the instrument cables you have like in the pictures and your regular guitar cable one end to the input in fron of the amp and the other to you guitar.

That did it!
I don't know why the instructions say to use the in/out....I'm in the left (mono) like in the pictures and there it is!
I have been going crazy trying to figure this out.
Thanks man

Sorry to raise the dead but this appears to be exactly the same issue I am having with my new combo of a MK5 and GM2. Was it the cables that needed to be checked? I am at a loss as I think everything is connected as it should be. Was there any adjustments needed on the GM2 or MK5 to solve the problem?

rlhjr34 said:
Sorry to raise the dead but this appears to be exactly the same issue I am having with my new combo of a MK5 and GM2. Was it the cables that needed to be checked? I am at a loss as I think everything is connected as it should be. Was there any adjustments needed on the GM2 or MK5 to solve the problem?

If you're positive the cables are connected correctly, do a factory reset on the GM2. (It will erase any presets you have made so back the unit up if you need to.) I had a no sound problem one time with mine and the reset fixed it.

Thank God for this post. I couldn't figure the lack of sound either. I did a reset and it is all better now. The GM2 work great with the Mark V here. :)

Back