Mark Tremonti's 2x15 Guitar Cabs

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeleigh

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just a quick question (sorry if its already been covered). I've noticed Mark Tremonti is using 2 4x12s and 2 2x15, I'm guessing this gives him an overall bigger sound (Please correct me if I'm wrong!).

It also seems these 2x15's are custom built for him. Does anyone know anyone else who uses these in conjunction with regular 4x12s and where I would be able to get hold of one? eg what brand makes them?

Would appreciate any help.

Thanks very much

I think Dimebag used some 15's with his 12's as well. Randall makes a 2x12/1x15 cab
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RS125CX-2X12-1X15-Speaker-Cabinet?sku=601011
They also use to make this 2x15 guitar cab
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-Jaguar-200-2x15-Cabinet?sku=601017
I've always been interested in what difference the 15's would make, but never bothered messing with them.

ive heard the randall with the 2x12/1x15 and it sounds pretty massive..... the one i played had 2 v30s and a 15" eminence speaker..... sounds amazing with high gain and very nice with cleans..... the only thing is i think you need to like a massive bottom end..... if your into tremonti's tone i think it would be right up your ally.... another cab i would try first though is the isp 1x12 vector.... its a 1x12 powered sub.... the way it works is you go from your amp to the isp and from the isp to your other cab... the isp will use a filter to only throw the mids and highs in the signal to your other cab while it will handle all the lows via the sub..... from what ive heard it creates a very balanced tone with a very thick bottom end.... everything stays tight because the isp is meant to handle lots of lows and allows your other cab to what its speakers are meant for (highs/mids)

Thanks very much for the replies, the isp info was very useful, never heard of that before. I'm looking for something that would be a bit easier to get hold of in the UK, any ideas?

Yeah I've seen the video. Pretty informative. I'm not so sure about that though, on marktremonti.net it says he uses the 2x15s for his live distorted sound

jakeleigh said:
Yeah I've seen the video. Pretty informative. I'm not so sure about that though, on marktremonti.net it says he uses the 2x15s for his live distorted sound

I heard that too and wouldn't doubt it. Be cool to try!

the 2x15s are used for clean tones...the distortion tone is done using mesa 4x12 recto cabinet

the 2x15's are used for the dirty sounds. the fender twins are run in stereo. he uses two amps at the same time for his dirty tones. one powering the 4x12's, one powering the 2x15's. the used to use a triple recto and a dual recto, but now he's using a recto and a bogner ubershall for his dirty sounds, and he just started using a bogner shiva slaved through a mesa 2:90 for his lead sounds.

i used an old 2x15 with EV's for a while. it sounded pretty cool, but as my style changed i noticed that i liked the tightness of 12's better.

oldrig.jpg

Why not go for a bass speaker box? Something like the bass ported closed back Hartke 1 x 15 with the aluminium speaker cone gives plenty of low end but a very crisp sound. I've only used it for clean guitar, but imagine it would sound pretty good for distortion.

On the plus side, they're also not terribly expensive an readily available in the UK.

Latest posts

Back