Mark IVB has more gain?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guitarted

Reaction score
My Mark IVB has more gain that my Mark IVA; is that the norm or is it just me and my Mark IV's?

I like the B better for heavy stuff; it just has a bit more "modern" high gain tone to it.

Just weinghing in.

problem is only in preamp tubes because IVb has hi gain 12ax7 chinese1 or russian2.

I think its mostly in the tubes I think.
The IVA normally tends to be more aggressive and is somewhat brighter.

Aart said:
I think its mostly in the tubes I think.
The IVA normally tends to be more aggressive and is somewhat brighter.

I'm the one he got his IVA from. I traded him my A for his B. We kept all out own tubes so it's not the tubes. I feel the B is brighter and has just slightly more grind to it. And i owned 2 A's before and my frieds own 2 of them. But it's really very close and i feel you can tweak them to sound identical.

Yes, I traded a short B head for Danny's medium A head. But I also just got another B long head. It got here the same day as Danny's A head. Arrived on the same Fed Ex truck and everything! I got that one on Ebay for $1200. I wanted to have an A and B here at the same time so I could really compare. I have got to say that I like the B better. It is a bit more over the top and really brings the chug. The A is nice, but I prefer the B even after swapping all the tubes in them. It really made no difference that I could tell.

Latest posts

Back