Mark IV w/ EL34's

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ifailedshapes

Reaction score
Who on here uses the mix of 2x6L6 and 2xEL34 in their Mark IV? I'm considering selling mine because I'm really more of a fan of Lonestar cleans and Stiletto drive, but I've always been curious to try this tube combination. Please tell me your experiences. :) Thanks!

I use this set up. It's a great combo. You get a little more grit on the distortion but the clean tone is still pretty stellar. If your so inclined you can also switch over to Class A mode with this set up and run only the EL34's. I've been doing this a lot lately.

Scott

I use this setup too, IMO it's the best of both worlds because the lead still screams (has more crunch to it even), and R2 becomes a lot more usable for me. The cleans suffer a bit but not a huge amount, certainly not enough to warrant not doing the change.

Ok, is there anyway someone can post some sound clips. I run my mark iv on simulclass, pentode, full power. I think it time for new tubes, I have had mine for like 1.5 years and use it like twice a week for an hour or two. I have also had some loss of sound and sputtering. What do you guys think? Anyway, I am thinking about getting two el-34 and two 6l6. I would really like to hear some clips if at all possible. Thanks

Haha, yeah buddy! I'm not alone! I ordered a pair of EL34's off of Ebay yesterday. As soon as they arrive I'm going to put them in and experiment with them. I'll definitely post my first impressions on here.

You can buy a matched pair from Bob at Eurotubes for under $30. I say just get some so you can hear the tone difference yourself with your amp on your settings. And if you dont like the sound you can sell the tubes on this forum.

Back