Mark IV vs. vht pitbull 50 CL

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmcguitar

Reaction score
has anyone had experience with the 50 cl?

they are both 2 grand (new). both have graphic eqs. the pitbull can run in class a or a/b (not simulclass) pitbull has a preamp voicing switch (which changes whether its tube or silicon rectifier) mark has lead gain voicing.. pitbull lets you select 3 or 4 preamp tube stages for gain

the features are pretty similar, they both seem like they are tight amps(for tracking, im not using slang.. "**** that's tight" ahhahahhah)

i have played neither, pretty much only get sound clips from youtube and the sites like soundclick and mp3lizard.

if anyone has an opinions let me konw.

for my purposes i would have a standard recto 4x12 attached.

thanks

What sorta music you going to be playing?
Leads, Rhythm
Metal, Rock, Jazz?

The VHT's I've played (which are few, I think lower powered Pittbulls) were very dry and as you said tight, where Mesa has a wetter squishier feel. YMMV.

hmmm music i play. well my current band is hard rock, there are elements of van halen, sabbath, kings x, LOG, KsE. I am not worried about a clean channel, something clean, sorta clean is fine, more so looking for a killer distortion. I play leads.

i cover bands like rush, kiss, vh, zep, STP, motley crue, so when im at home i like being able to tinker with different sounds.. but with the band i tend to just use one setting (i have a 5150II now) and i have the lead channel on most all the time, nothing changes when i solo. sometimes phaser is added or wah.

Well I'd say you will be more happier with the Mark IV after that description. Heaps of options for you to spend your time on also!

Being a mkiv owner, I'm somewhat biased. They are great amps and very versatile. And I think for the kind of music you listed, the mkiv will work well, mainly because it can sound more "vintage" than a vht. You will hear a distinctive "early-90's" sound with a mkiv that can easily be morphed into an 80's or even 70's tone.

However, if I had the choice today, I'd go for the vht pittbull, because IMO they have a more modern sound. And they do a sizzling moderate distortion very well. The mark iv will do a LOG super distortion like no other, but few amps can match vht's "in-between" distortion - the type that is NOT very saturated. That's a hard thing to get with a mkiv.

Fxrs said:
The VHT's I've played (which are few, I think lower powered Pittbulls) were very dry and as you said tight, where Mesa has a wetter squishier feel. YMMV.

This is a perfect description. I have owned the VHT and when you first hear the distortion you will think it is the cleanest most articulate gain you have ever heard. But I found after a while it starts to seem dry and just lacking a fluidness that you need for leads. But for tight riffing and a sound that is in between Mesa and Marshall there aren't too many amps better. It is a high quality amp but if you are going to be playing a lot of leads, I would say the Mark 4 is the better choice.

Latest posts

Back