Mark IV vs Quad vs Formula vs Studio pre vs V twin

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick_cor

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I have a mark IV and let me tell you , i'm in love with it, but I need some money so i need to sell it, i figured if i can sell it i'll have enough money to put away and buy a preamp and a poweramp.

I really like the clean and Lead on the mark IV , does the quad or other preamp come close to that, I dont' like the triaxis*I was thinking of having a setup like, Quad, studio + 50/50 or a quad + formula pre, or the quad + v twin, bascially I need something to replicate the lead, and clean tones I'm getting from the mK IV. I really like the tone from the album images and words and from my understanding John Petrucci of Dream Thetaer used the quad for that album.

I would need a setup that would give me 3 distinct channels, one for that liquidy sustained goobs of gain lead * that my mark IV provides * the tight cleans that the mark IV provieds and a heavy rhythm , similar to old school drema theater tone.

Does anyone know what the V twin preamp sounds ? any clips, any help would be appreciated because I'm planning on selling soon!

Thanks!

There's no way a good pre and power will be that much less than a Mark IV.

You also have to consider the price and weight of a rack case.

nocluejimbo said:

Hey, let me worry about that :D , I know a guy who is selling a quad for 500$ and I'm sure I can pick up a poweramp off ebay for 500$. If I can't really afford the 50/50 , I'll get a 20/20 for the moment, and i already have a rack case.

Nick_cor said:
nocluejimbo said:

Hey, let me worry about that :D , I know a guy who is selling a quad for 500$ and I'm sure I can pick up a poweramp off ebay for 500$. If I can't really afford the 50/50 , I'll get a 20/20 for the moment, and i already have a rack case.

I'm just saying, you mentioned you wanted to sell the IV because you needed money. You'll come out behind. You'll be farther behind if you buy the 20/20 and sell it for a bigger one.

Yeah, I see what you're saying, but I bought the mark IV for 1600, but before that I sold my mark III for 1200$ and basically payed 400$, the mark IV head is in mint condition, and it's a custom as well... it's a medium head and where I live, the biggest music store, said it woudl cost about 3285 $ to get a new mesa boogie mark IV medium head in embossed snake skin, that's before tax, so you're looking at 3700$ roughly, i'll sell mine for 2500$, or like 2200$,

since the quad is only 2 channels and studio is only one, but has shared eq, do you think i should go with the quad first or the studio? which one in your opinion is better for that tone i'm after

Nick_cor said:
since the quad is only 2 channels and studio is only one, but has shared eq, do you think i should go with the quad first or the studio? which one in your opinion is better for that tone i'm after

Technically the Quad is four channels and the Studio is two. They are arranged similarly to the Mark II where one set of knobs controls two channels. The Quad is the better preamp as you can set the two sets of channels separately and get the highest gain sound on channel four while still making a great clean sound on channel one.

yeah, would you say i can get a smilliar tone to the mark IV lead channel, I wish I could ply one.. but they don't make em anymore,

Nick_cor said:

The studio/quad lead channel is almost the same as the IV/C+ so yeah, you will easily get scary close to those tones just fine. I would pay attention to the last sentence Jimbo wrote though. If you want drastically different clean/lead tones, the Quad would be the better buy simply because you have two independent channels and your clean/lead won't have to share the same EQ (it WILL on ch1, but I mean you can use ch1 rhy1 for cleans, ch2 ld2 for leads).

I love both preamps so it's kinda hard to choose one over the other. I tend to like my Studio a bit more at times. But with the Studio, I can have thick blackface style cleans and switch to the lead mode for lower gain stuff (gain around 3) or Hetfield/Petrucci tones with the gain around 6.

The Quad allows me to do the same exact thing on ch1 and ch2 is what I normally use for my lead tone because rhy2 is usually useless with most of my guitars. It won't get clean enough or heavy enough so it's kinda the limbo mode.

mJ

Nick_cor said:
I dont' like the triaxis*

I really like the tone from the album images and words and from my understanding John Petrucci of Dream Thetaer used the quad for that album.

Sorry, but this made me laugh. :D
Petrucci used the Triaxis and 2:90 for that album. He said so himself on his website a couple years ago. You can also listen to the first Liquid Tension Experiment album. He use the same setup there. Beautifull tone.

Max said:
Nick_cor said:
I dont' like the triaxis*

I really like the tone from the album images and words and from my understanding John Petrucci of Dream Thetaer used the quad for that album.

Sorry, but this made me laugh. :D
Petrucci used the Triaxis and 2:90 for that album. He said so himself on his website a couple years ago. You can also listen to the first Liquid Tension Experiment album. He use the same setup there. Beautifull tone.

Actually big guy, He used the Quad pre amp, the mark IIC+ and the mark IV AND He told me himself.

So petrucci is lieing or went mad ?
On his site he said that he used triaxis.
Now you teeling that he said to you other thing .
So is petrucci lieing on his site,went mad,are you lieing or everybody went crazy ????
hahuhauauhauhuahuahahuhauhaua

:D :D :D

sombra said:
So petrucci is lieing or went mad ?
On his site he said that he used triaxis.
Now you teeling that he said to you other thing .
So is petrucci lieing on his site,went mad,are you lieing or everybody went crazy ????
hahuhauauhauhuahuahahuhauhaua

:D :D :D

First of all, I never called Petrucci a liar and before I call you a liar, maybe you don't understand that the Triaxis is INFERIOR to the Mark IIC+, don't even try to say the tones Petrucci gets out of Images and Words is Triaxis. Do you even know what a Triaxis sounds like? Have you played one? Have you played the mark IIC+? or heard it?

Heres a clip of the triaxis, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mjzn3zekfFY <-- see what I mean by compressed, his tone is nothing like that, and why would JP use a triaxis over the mark IIC+ in a studio?

sense of humor in need !!!!!
helkp me please.
I made a joke and people act like it is the end of the world.
Sorry I dont joke anymore.
Yes im using mesa stuff since 1990 so I already played on everything.
I dont care wich people think is the better,my ears are my judges not others ears.
So lets laugh about it.
Man I think you are too serious about it,come on they are just eletronics made to a company make money.
Laugh about it !
come on

When you qouted me on me saying petrucci used this and that and then said that made you laugh, that's insulting. You want me to laugh about you insulting what I know? No thanks.

Nick_cor said:
When you qouted me on me saying petrucci used this and that and then said that made you laugh, that's insulting. You want me to laugh about you insulting what I know? No thanks.

Are you crazy ??

Was mike quoted you sayind that !
I never quoted was the other guy !
huahhahauhua
Dude wake up I just made fun with you discussing about what petrucci uses.
The other guy quoted you not me .

Like I said you are so serious about it.
God help me

sombra said:
Nick_cor said:

Are you crazy ??

I never quoted was the other guy !
huahhahauhua
Dude wake up I just made fun with you discussing about what petrucci uses.
The other guy quoted you not me .

Like I said you are so serious about it.
God help me

Oh, my bad I thought you were Max...

Back