Mark IV vs. Nomad vs. DC 10???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I had a Mark IV a few years ago and sold it because I did not have a situation where I could use it to the best of it's abilities. Basically, it was too loud (even with 6V6's) for my house or band at the time.

I have been using my DC-3 1x12 combo with an EV Thiele cab, and my DC-10 2x12 combo for my latest band. We play covers from Allman Brothers to ZZ Top to Frank Zappa.

The DC's cover most of this territory very well.

I've had a Heartbreaker, Studio 22+, Dual Rectifiers, Rectoverb, DC-2, Nomad 55, a Mark IV, & a Roadster within the last 7 years and thought that all of them were good amps in their own right.

I was thinking about a Lonestar, but I borrowed one the other day and did not really like the Lead channel on it.

I am wondering if anybody here has had a DC-10 & a Mark IV. If so, what are your thoughts as to which amp was superior?

The thought of a 3 channel amp sounds great, but my experience with the Mark IV was that Channel 2 (R2) lacked any significant tone. All that I could get out of it was a decent Rolling Stones sound because I was unwilling to sacrifice the great Clean tones that I got out of R1.

The Nomads look interesting too, because Channel 2 has it's own EQ, and it has the Solo feature. I sold mine because it had the footswitching problem and was starting to work very poorly. I had the Nomad 55 and at the time, was playing more Metal than Classic Rock. Now I don't really play Metal that much.

I realize that the Nomad has solid state Reverb, but I can fix that easily.

What are your thoughts? I'm starting to feel like a gear *****. :lol:

Nomad, Nomad and more Nomad. 8)

The only mesa I can vouch for is the Nomad 55 4x10. Sweet amp. The thing amazes me every time I turn it on. Probably has to do with the Alnico's. I got mine mint and have yet to run into any problems others have reported with reliability. People constantly compliment the tones I've dialed in on the thing. Guitar patch cord and amp. The thing is extremely loud if you want it to be but has very usable tones at lower volumes. Anyways...probably not telling anything you don't already know. Just giving props to that **** amp I guess. I rarely see much discussion about this amp in these parts.

How would one go about modding the reverb from solid state? I would really like to know more.

The Reverb mod is pretty much intense surgery. You would probably have to remove the power tube circuit board and hand wire the sockets to make room for another preamp tube. You might luck out and find the space somewhere in there.

Then, once you found the room for the tube, you would have to add an entire Reverb circuit and a Reverb transformer. Not for the faint of heart.

I had a Nomad 55 when they 1st came out, but it had the reliabillity issues and I sold it as fast as I could.

I have a DC-10 now and really like it, but it's a 2x12 and huge.

I ended up getting an older Mark IV, serial # 1043. I've only been able to play it for a few minutes though. So far, the tones are really great.

Thanks for the input.

The MKIV with 6V6's all in triode was too loud? If you run it in pentode simul class, its about 37-40 watts, if you run triode and simul, then its about 25-32 watts. This is all in "tweed" setting. Call me incredulous, but too loud? Are you playing in retirement homes or what? Well, maybe you could play full stacks in retirement homes and not be noticed, nevermind.... :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

My band at the time really sucked. They turned into an 80's & STP tribute band.

You could literally hold a conversation over the drumming.

I took my DC-2 in there and it was too loud. I could not get the tones I was looking for because the Volume pot didn't go low enough for those fucks.

Plus, I was having another kid (wife, not me :D ) and didn't need 7 amps.

My Version A that I just got today has much more control over the volume. I am really beginning to think that maybe something was wrong with the last one I had. R2 has way more crunch too on the one I have now.

Latest posts

Back