Mark IV vs DC-5

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

injected

Reaction score
I got for someone wanting to trade their IV combo for my DC-5 combo.

Mines i great shape works great, and so is his.

Only thing is I have to ship to asia and its gonna cost me $300. He said he'll pay for $100 of it through paypal which is cool. He'd ship his first and take a picture of the receipt. I'm thinking I'd wait for it to get here to make sure its legit (international trades make me :| a little bit). then i'd send it out. Is this a good deal?

Anyways enough about that stuff, how does the mark iv compare? I like my dc-5's clean and crunch, and the lead has always done me well for metal.. I'm more interested in the mark iv's metal sound. How different is it?

Oddly enough I like the DC series better than a Mark IV. I used to own a Mark IV. It was too tight and the cleans were sterile and the lead channel was noisy. It had new tubes. I would not do a trade with a guy in Asia - it's just too risky IMO. I think the two amps are comparable for their metal tone... if you are happy then I say don't do it.

Yeah, I definitely wait for the Mk to show up intact before I shipped.

Having owned a Mk IV for three years and now a DC-5, I'm not sure I'd make the deal. I like my cleans looser and rounder than the Mk IV can deliver. My DC can get much closer to my Pro Reverb's clean than my Mk ever could. The IV is just too tight. I can run the gain higher on the DC and ride my guitar's volume control for a more versatile, better sounding setup than the IV's channel one or two.

The lead channel? DC simply spanks the Mk IV gain-wise, and it isn't as compressed as the IV, either. Sometimes, just sometimes, I get a little tired of the low-mid that can't be dialed out, and miss the brightness of the IV. I don't miss the "honky" nature of the IV's tone, though. The DC just has a bigger, looser sound than the Mk IV that I like. I bet I'd really like a DC-10, I just don't need one anymore, unfortunately.

Pentone, tritone, and simul-class, and push/pull switching? Meh.

And the Mk IV reverb sizucks.

YMMV

I like my cleans, theyre really bassy and glassy. You said the iv's were sterile? I heard that they have really good cleans :| ? I don't necessarily like super active bluesy cleans, since most of the time I chorus and reverb them anyway. Think JC120 sounding.

I also love the crunch sound on my dc-5 with the pull boost engaged. How does the rhythm channel on the IV compare?

It's not footswitchable on the DC-5 and i dont want to get it modded.. dont have alot of money :p . I really like the full crunch sound, its not thin at all, and makes a great rock tone. again though, cant footswitch it back to the sparkly glassy cleans :(

And lastly, the lead channel. My DC-5's lead channels is also noisy, but i run an ISP decimator in front of it. I figure any highgain amp would have noise.. even if the iv is a little noisier it won't bother me too much cause of the decimator.

Try some JJs in your DC - I bet they will make it sound better all around - including making it quieter.

I never liked the cleans on my MIV - some do. It's just a matter of opinion of course. The Lead channel is bright and compressed in comparison the DC's lead channel. R2 on the MIV sounds about like your clean channel with gain maxed - maybe just a LITTLE more gain. If you can find a Mark IV to play here in the states you will be better off. I wouldn't trade this guy in Asia. A Mark IV and DC-5 are not an even trade TBH!! The Mark IV is worth more, but I like the DC-5 more. Go figure!

mark IV = pure petrucci tone..so anything you want by him, can be within your reach with a few other toys...Lamb of God swear by them as well..and you can get any metallica type tone..the 5 band EQ really allows you to tweak certain frequencies in and out really well..i love my Mark IV, and only had it for 2 weeks..see my vid in the other thread..that tone took me no time to get, and im nowhere near done tweaking...basically i feel its the most versatile mesa, and it can do what you need in the rock/metal world for a joke

MusicManJP6 said:
Try some JJs in your DC - I bet they will make it sound better all around - including making it quieter.

I never liked the cleans on my MIV - some do. It's just a matter of opinion of course. The Lead channel is bright and compressed in comparison the DC's lead channel. R2 on the MIV sounds about like your clean channel with gain maxed - maybe just a LITTLE more gain. If you can find a Mark IV to play here in the states you will be better off. I wouldn't trade this guy in Asia. A Mark IV and DC-5 are not an even trade TBH!! The Mark IV is worth more, but I like the DC-5 more. Go figure!

Well if its worth more wouldnt that work out in my favor? :)

I'm going to get the IV here first to make sure its what he said it was, working and everything. Then I'll ship me DC-5. Can't lose, right? If I really don't like it as much I could always trade back or sell for a DC-5, and I'll probably get some money out of it. 8)

Actually, after I get this combo amp I'll probably be keeping it for a long time if I like it, and settle it on a port city 2x12. Then instead of trading/etc I'll probably be building self a rack rig to run in stereo with the Mark IV. 2 4U rack cases consisting of, Furman PC, Tuner, Recto recording preamp. Second rack case: TC Electronic G-major, Wireless, VHT 2/50/2 power amp. Also on top of a port city cab.

Hehe. And that video you posted^ is pretty good sounding even with the camera..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ1dw_QmjLM&feature=related

I'm loving that clean tone in the beginning. Just sayin' :lol:

I'd never trade my DC for a Mark IV. IMO, the DC is more useful. The Marks are killer amps but the DC is much easier to dial in. You get three great sounds from the DC without the drama of the Mark IV endless options. Don't get me wrong. I dig the Mark IV and will probably end up with a Mark V at some point but I wouldn't trade my DC away because eventually they'll get to be hard to find in good shape.

Mark IV has endless tones...it's the amp to get if you want versatility...period.

lockbody said:

Having owned a Mk IV for three years and now a DC-5, I'm not sure I'd make the deal. I like my cleans looser and rounder than the Mk IV can deliver. My DC can get much closer to my Pro Reverb's clean than my Mk ever could. The IV is just too tight. I can run the gain higher on the DC and ride my guitar's volume control for a more versatile, better sounding setup than the IV's channel one or two.

The lead channel? DC simply spanks the Mk IV gain-wise, and it isn't as compressed as the IV, either. Sometimes, just sometimes, I get a little tired of the low-mid that can't be dialed out, and miss the brightness of the IV. I don't miss the "honky" nature of the IV's tone, though. The DC just has a bigger, looser sound than the Mk IV that I like. I bet I'd really like a DC-10, I just don't need one anymore, unfortunately.

YMMV

all of this is laughable except the verb on the MK IV..which actually does suck

madryan said:
I'd never trade my DC for a Mark IV. IMO, the DC is more useful. The Marks are killer amps but the DC is much easier to dial in. You get three great sounds from the DC without the drama of the Mark IV endless options. Don't get me wrong. I dig the Mark IV and will probably end up with a Mark V at some point but I wouldn't trade my DC away because eventually they'll get to be hard to find in good shape.

I agree.

Doesn't it seem odd that this guy in Asia wants to trade you his MIV knowing it is worth twice as much as your DC-5? That should be alarming in itself. If it sounds too good to be true then it probably is. I still think you should pass...

Fronzil said:
lockbody said:

YMMV

all of this is laughable except the verb on the MK IV..which actually does suck

Oh, do tell. You've owned a DC-5 and a MK IV, right?

*edit*
Oh wait, you've owned your Mk IV a whole two weeks? This is why I love the internet. Only on the internet will you find someone with two weeks experience with an amp discount the opinions of someone with three years of gigging and studio experience with one.

Oops, what is laughable though, is that I misspelled "triode" and "pentode" above.

MusicManJP6 said:
madryan said:

I agree.

Doesn't it seem odd that this guy in Asia wants to trade you his MIV knowing it is worth twice as much as your DC-5? That should be alarming in itself. If it sounds too good to be true then it probably is. I still think you should pass...

I wouldn't say so, not if I get the amp first and make sure it's fine. it's hard to put mesas out of commission I would say :p

Plus, it's not necessarily easy to find equipment in vietnam. He said he got the mark iv in a trade from the states and used it for recording, so him wanting to switch things up would make sense. Plus mine is in a really nice looking burgundy tolex with the wheat grille. DC-5's go for like 700 used and mark iv's can be found for 1000-1100.. 1200 in most cases. so its not really double the value either, just more :wink:

It does seem freakishly fishy that someone would even want to make this trade.
If you do go through with it, definitely take it to a GOOD tech before shipping out the DC.

I bet it's stolen or something.

I don't care what Fronzil or anyone else says, I wouldn't trade my DC's for a Mark IV unless I already had a buyer for the IV and another DC on the way.
The IV's options are great, but not being able to dial it in easily and the having to keep the bass below 4 is bullshit! They should have just made the **** knob only go to 4!

Lots of DC-5 love out here! :)

He's in the good trader thread of like 2 forums and he's been registered for a long time so i'm not really THAT worried about credibility, I have a firm belief that most people trading musical instruments are good..

And when I get it i probably won't have alot of money but a check up at my local tech is $30 so i'll probably go through with that.

My regular test is just cranking all the volumes though :lol:

When I did that with my DC-5 though I got a noise ordinance from the Homeowners association.. lol..

Injected,

After you've had time to play on the Mark IV a while let us know your own personal preference. At the risk of making this a DC love fest I am with the majority in this thread that I much prefer my DC-10 to the Mark IV for all the reasons already stated. The Mark IV is a great amp, just not for me.

I too prefer a DC to a Mark IV. I won't repeat what has already been said. I thought the Mark IV was a one trick pony, but it does that one trick VERY well. Others are having a blast with their Mark IV's... it just didn't tickle my pickle.

MetalMatt said:
I too prefer a DC to a Mark IV. I won't repeat what has already been said. I thought the Mark IV was a one trick pony, but it does that one trick VERY well. Others are having a blast with their Mark IV's... it just didn't tickle my pickle.

I always had the thought that people loved iv's for their versatility..

the .50 caliber+ seems like more of a one trick pony :?

Back