Mark IV volume

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When i play with a band, i set my channel's masters around 5-6 and my master volume at 2...sometimes 2 and a half or near 3 (there's a lot of difference between 2 and 3....
And i can tell you it's pretty loud because the other members (drum and bass) are miced and i'm not!!!

In rehearsal if I'm not miced probably 3 lead channel master and around 5-7 output master. I only have a 1x12 cab at the moment. If I'm miced 3 is enough. Thats always in Tweed mode I might add, Full Power is to hard to get a good loud sound out of with only a 1x12 cab.

That thing is too dangerous over 3 - it starts taking people's heads off!

It doesn't sound good with the channel masters below 5 or 6 though...I've gigged it on as little as 1.8 (admittedly a quieter affair) and as high as 4. I really don't see that power being useful for anything other than massive stages if you turn it any higher than 4 or 5, especially with channel masters turned up past the halfway mark.

This is all on tweed/triode/simulclass, by the way. Loud amp, very loud amp!

I don't know how you guys can turn them up so loud! haha My lead master is on 4 and I have the output less than 2 at rehearsal. And it's searing the skin off everyone in the band. haha

If you turn it to tweed, class A, triode, wear some half-decent earplugs, you can get channel & master both up to a full 10 and it's manageable through a 2x12. Less so with a 4x12 unless you're decently far away.

I used to do that quite often, I'm sure the neighbours just loved it.

I tend to like keeping the channel volumes no higher than 3.5 or so...and then push the output to 5 - 7 or so.

I always use pentode/full power and often simuclass when I'm jamming with the band, otherwise at home I use triode, tweed and class A.

I took someone else's advice to run the channel volumes on 8-10 and then just adjust the output to taste but what I noticed with that is the tone get's way too midrangy and thin sounding, so I opted to do the opposite ratio of volumes as indicated in my previous post.

Back