Mark IV Transformer Voltage tap question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Random Hero

Reaction score
How is it you find out exactly what your amp is wired for again? I'm pretty sure I know where the taps are, and where it is inside the chassis (up on it's own circuit board, towards the power switches, right?

What I'm wondering is, how is it you tell exactly what it's wired to? I remember it being something to do with colours I think, but I can't remember exactly what. A walkthrough of some type would be great, just to help me out.

Thanks.

Early B, I believe

aa2.jpg

aa1.jpg

Boogiebabies said:
T1 - RED/BLK
T2 - Orange
0V - Blue

100V - BLK/WHT
117V - BLK
220V - BRN/WHT
230V - BRN/RED ( B Schem. says BRN/WHT)
240V - BROWN

So what is it I'm looking for exactly? Is it just one wire and various taps marked in this manner?

Boogiebabies said:
T1 - RED/BLK
T2 - Orange
0V - Blue

100V - BLK/WHT
117V - BLK
220V - BRN/WHT
230V - BRN/RED ( B Schem. says BRN/WHT)
240V - BROWN

Does it mean that I can rewire a 117 Voltage version to 230/240 Volts?

OK, I opened her up and it's literally a bunch of wires coming from the transformer.

There's currently a brown, laced with red, connected. I would think that is 230V from what Boogiebabies said. I've also located the all brown wire, coming from the same point on the transformer.

Just attach that where the brown/red currently goes?

Pic -

DSC00377.jpg

If that is not an export, I do not know what is. All the export primary colors are there. The yellow should be a seconday 5V tap for a tube rectifier heater as this is the same transformer as the DR.

Boogiebabies said:
If that is not an export, I do not know what is. All the export primary colors are there. The yellow should be a seconday 5V tap for a tube rectifier heater as this is the same transformer as the DR.

It is?

Boogiebabies, would you wire it to 240V or leave it at 230V? UK Voltage is officially 230V +10%/-6%, so it could theoretically get up to 253V, although that is rare.

Boogiebabies said:
I would leave it at 230.

Even though the UK voltage was 240V until a few years ago, when the tolerances changed rather than what we're actually getting? Aslong as 230V is safe even if it does get all the way up to 253V, which like I say, is unlikely, I'll leave it at that.

Boogiebabies said:
So your saying you want to swap the Brown/Red wire for the Brown ?

Would that be how to wire it to 240V? I mean, if it's not gonna be a problem running on between 230V-240V then I won't bother. I got told today that generally power in the UK is 230V now, and it's rare that you will see above 235V in most parts of the UK. That's not to say it doesn't happen, but ya know.

I also spoke to a local guy who builds amps, and he wires his to 230V. He also tech'd somebody's Road King the other day and set that to 230V so...

I just don't wanna risk my amp frying.

Latest posts

Back