Mark IV Tone? Tubes?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rangerbob86

Reaction score
I recently picked up a widebody 1x12 Mark IV combo, mainly due to the fact that I love the sounds other guys were getting with it. I'm having some trouble getting a good lead tone out of it though, and I'm not sure what else to do. It doesn't seem like theres nearly enough gain, and its just a buzzy, fizzy tone. I've tried various EQ settings, various volumes, I've tried the 1x12 C90 Black Shadow that's in the cab, as well as a 2x12 closed back V30 cab, with not a whole lot of difference. I've tried various boosts including a TS-9, OCD, Crunchbox, and a few others. The only thing I haven't tried changing are the tubes. It currently has 4 Sovtek 5881/6l6wgc, and 5 Mullard 12ax7/ecc83 in it. Are there other tubes anybody would recommend for a Mark IV? Any other thoughts? Thanks for any reply.

I'm not a big fan of Mullards in Mark IVs, or certainly not all 5; a bit too dark for me. I've had good luck with vintage Tung Sols (long plates) and any good tube from the Herleen, Holland factory. Tung Sols have a nice smooth vintage tone, a classic U.S. tube palette. Holland tubes are crisp but not harsh, with a good amount of gain. I prefer vintage tubes over new stuff. Just make sure the tube has lotsa life is not microphonic.

I've had good results with 5881s. Make sure the power tubes are fresh, or just replace them.

Mark IV Wicker : I have Sovtek 6L6 5881 outer and Mesa STR 425 inner, Tung Sol in socket 1 and stock Mesa in others

Mark IV Wide: Mesa EL 34 outer(STR-437? I didn't check) and Mesa 6L6 STR 430 inner. Stock Mesa preamps.

The main settings I use are based off Petrucci Mark V in Mark IV mode

Lead Gain-8
Lead Treble-8
Lead Bass-3
Lead Mid-7
Presence-0 Pulled
Master-3
Full Power Pentode

Adjust to taste. Might work out for you. Lead tone on the Wicker is very Lukather. At stage volume, I can get a good chug although a tube screamer will accent that.

I have the GEQ in various states of class V but I don't use the EQ that much for live. Cuts through the stage mix much better for me. Both Mark IVs sound different at these settings, I assume due to the voicings/cab size, and tube combination.

Latest posts

Back