Mark IV settings guide

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holdsworth

Reaction score
Thought I'd give those who are still getting to grips with their Mark IV a push in the right direction in obtaining a good lead tone. 8)

Practice volume settings

Harmonics - Simul-class - Triode - Tweed Power (or full)

Ld Gain (pulled) - 5 to 8 (I set it at about 8 )
Ld Bass - 1 to 4 (I set it at about 3-4)
Ld Mids - 1 to 8 (I set it at about 3-5)
Ld Treble - 5 to 8 (I set it at about 7)
Ld Drive - 7 to 8 (I set it between 7-7.5)

Ld Presence - 0 to 4 (I set it at about 3, but also try 0 and pulled for comparison)

Ld Volume - 3

Master - 1 to 3 (any higher would send you deaf in a confined space)

E.Q

80hz - between mid and top line
240hz - mid line
80hz - between mid and bottom line
2200hz - mid line (or just above)
6600hz - mid line (or just below)

...hope this helps!

Here's an old sample of my tone recorded via silent record out with my Mark IV combo.

Boogiebabies said:
Dude, you are like Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and John Lord's DNA cloning expiriment. That clip was killer.

Title: The Meloncholy Death of Oyster Boy
Artist: Moka Sovatia

lol, thanks alot Boogiebabies! The song is an oldie of mine. The lead guitar is a little out of tune, the playings a little loose, and the structures quite simple, but I'm quite fond of it. Pretty good for a direct recording tone though, don't you think? The Mark IVs sound great for direct recording IMO. :)

I second that - nice tone. That IS impressive for direct.
What pups are you running in the Ibanez?

Thanks,

Paul

Cheers FPSL. I was using an Evo in the bridge and a Fred in the neck on my Ibanez. I've recently changed the Evo for a Duncan JB, but the tone isn't half as good, too much high-mid and treble and not enough bass. I'll most probably change back to the Evo or get another pup.

Very impressive for direct recording indeed. I've tried it once and it didn't turn out so well. What type of recording interface (hardware) are you using?

I've recently upgraded my Soundcard from a Yamaha SW1000XG to an RME hdsp9632 which is a top of the range professional soundcard. I'm not sure which I used to record the track with though, but both Soundcards are of high-quality.

Back