mark iv retube

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitardude05

Reaction score
well i got the tone kit from dougstubes and the 4 ruby 6l6's. 2 of the ruby's make a "boing" noise when i tap on them. does this mean they are microphonic?

to be honest, i cant notice to much of a difference in tone from before which was a mix of mesa and sovtek preamp tubes. well, any help with those 2 ruby's would be really appreciated, maybe i need to get JJ 6l6's instead? thanks guys. :x

The power tubes that make the noise when you tap them are slightly microphonic.All tubes are microphonic to some degree,if you arent getting any problem with noise when you play normally,that is,they only act up when you tap them,then I wouldnt worry about it,if it really bothers you,contact Doug he might replace them for you.As for not noticing a change in tone,its quite possible that the Ruby's you put in there now were actually made in the same factory your old tubes came from.There are only about a handful of factories actually manufacturing tubes these days,they sell them to different suppliers who then label them with their own label, Ruby,GT.Mesa etc. all sell tubes from the same manufacturers.Some are Russian some Chinese.

Latest posts

Back