Mark IV Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khawkins

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before (can't find anything through the search engine). How are the cleans on a Mark IV? I currently have a Series I Stiletto Trident and am in the market for another amp. I love the tones I can get with the Trident but I'm GASsing for either a Mark IV or a Roadster. Not sure if the better half will approve the $$$ required for a Roadster though. Anyway, I play older Metallica and am attempting some of Dream Theater's music (Petrucci is a bit tough to replicate). I'd definitely like an amp with a little better cleans that what I've been able to get out of the Trident. If I could find an amp with a Dream Theater/Metallica sound and better than decent cleans, I think I'd be set.

Sorry for the long winded question but when I asked the local Mesa Boogie dealer about the Mark IV's he said, "We don't even carry them any more. They just sit in our shop and no one buys them."

Thanks in advance everyone!

They probably sit in the shop because it is cheaper to buy one used.

The Mark IV is exactly what you said you are looking for. It has a better than decent clean. You can get Petrucci tones if you dial it in right and of course you can do Metallica.

Getting back to the shops not carrying them anymore, I think it is a shame that more shops do not hold them. It is also a shame that the kids today cannot recognize the qualitites that the Mark IV has. It is definitely an amp that takes some time getting used to though. It has more knobs on it that any amp I have ever owned. For this, I can honestly say that it took me months to finally find the settings that I liked and had been looking for. This is not to say that the tones I found in between were bad, in fact they were great too but not what I was looking for originally. This may have been because I was used to a simpler amp (Marshalls) and it took some time to get used to the sensitivity of the knobs and how they interact with oner another.

Metallica used several amps over the years. If you are looking to do early Metallica look to a Arrendondo modified plexi. James used to borrow Kirk's amp. If you are looking for Mesa era Metallica then look to the IIB, IIC+, III Coliseum, IV, Quad pre, Triaxis, and Dual Rec. They have used many Mesa amps. James' goto amp is the IIC+. You will find more versatility in the IV and the Triaxis than the others. When I play Metallica stuff I use my IV or an 88 JCM800 2210. The Marshall captures the early stuff better though the IV still sounds good if dialed in correctly.

Russ said:
They probably sit in the shop because it is cheaper to buy one used.

The Mark IV is exactly what you said you are looking for. It has a better than decent clean. You can get Petrucci tones if you dial it in right and of course you can do Metallica.

Getting back to the shops not carrying them anymore, I think it is a shame that more shops do not hold them. It is also a shame that the kids today cannot recognize the qualitites that the Mark IV has. It is definitely an amp that takes some time getting used to though. It has more knobs on it that any amp I have ever owned. For this, I can honestly say that it took me months to finally find the settings that I liked and had been looking for. This is not to say that the tones I found in between were bad, in fact they were great too but not what I was looking for originally. This may have been because I was used to a simpler amp (Marshalls) and it took some time to get used to the sensitivity of the knobs and how they interact with oner another.

Metallica used several amps over the years. If you are looking to do early Metallica look to a Arrendondo modified plexi. James used to borrow Kirk's amp. If you are looking for Mesa era Metallica then look to the IIB, IIC+, III Coliseum, IV, Quad pre, Triaxis, and Dual Rec. They have used many Mesa amps. James' goto amp is the IIC+. You will find more versatility in the IV and the Triaxis than the others. When I play Metallica stuff I use my IV or an 88 JCM800 2210. The Marshall captures the early stuff better though the IV still sounds good if dialed in correctly.

It is definately sad that kids today don't recognize the Mark IV. However, i'm 21, and i'm wanting a IV seriously badly.

I may be able to afford one in January though 8)

In terms of the original post, the Mark IV is your answer, but the Roadster will get you modern Petrucci/DT tones, since he's been using the Road King for the past 3 years.
He's gone back to the IV just lately however, particularly at G3.

Thanks for the help guys! I'll just need to do a little more research on the Mark IV and figure out which form factor I'd like to get. I'm assuming each will sound relatively close. I have a 2X12 vertical recto slant cabinet to pair it with. Maybe I'll just keep an eye on Ebay and see how good of a deal I can find. :D

I can't help but think the Mark IV's styling has something to do with its lack of sales. I know that seems stupid as an amplfier is bought for sound, but I'd say it does weigh in at least to some degree.

Chad said:
I can't help but think the Mark IV's styling has something to do with its lack of sales. I know that seems stupid as an amplfier is bought for sound, but I'd say it does weigh in at least to some degree.
yes we can say that for "normal people" who don't know/aren't interested so much in mesa/boogie history, mkIV's more of an elite amp, comparing to the dual rec that every nu-metaller knows

Latest posts

Back