Mark IV Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey, i have a triple rectifier and ive been thinking about covnerting to the mesa mark IV, it seems more suited to what i want out of my guitar tone, but i was wondering if the cab i pair up with a Mark IV would have a massive effect on its tone?? Im using a Marshall 1960 Lead Cab, ive had it for a quite a few years, and its never failed to impress regardless of the head, but i read a review on Harmony Central that suggested the Mark IV failed to impress with the Marshall Cab, and only after getting a mesa cab did the mark IV really take off.. I'm just wondering if there is any validation to this, and im thinking of trading in my triple rectifier for a mark IV but dont want to have to get a diff cab.. thanks

The best way to find out is to try the two together. What sucks for someone else may not for you.
BTW I wouldn't trust what you read on HC.

true, HC has so many different opinions, its best taken with a grain of salt. of course theres always someone thats gonna say their gorilla sounds better than an ubrschall, or that the roadking is the biggest piece of crap they ever heard cuz Bass 10, mids 0 , treble 10 and gain @10 sounds horrible. :lol: i wonder why that would be.

from what i can tell you about from what i hear on here is that a mark IV through just about any closed back 4x12 sounds something like God. and even though you may not have the most expensive boutiqe cab but i can assure you... i don't think it will suck. :wink:

I just picked up my mark iv the other day. Right now I'm using it with a marshall 1960a 4x12 and even though I'm having some intermittent problems with my amp it sounds incredible with the cab. I havent even had enough to really tweak it in but my god its awesome. If you don't have the money to throw at Mesa cab I would definitely give it a shot first.

I gigged from '91 - '98 with a MK IV thorugh a Marshall JCM800 era 1960B and it sounded huge. I received alot of compliments on that rig from other players and soundmen.

The speaker choice inside the cabs can make as much difference as the choice of cab manufacturer.

Greystoke

On occasion I use a Marshall Silver Jubilee straight with Gt-12 75's.
It is much tighter than the Mesa, period. The Mesa Traditional oversides IMHO actually lead to a much looser bass. I got so tired of mine I spent two hours turning it from a rear mount to a front mount. I hope this will improve the flub factor. A good cab is a good cab and is generally hard to find. Who cares who makes it. Look at Warren Haynes playing his SLO through and Engl.

thanks for the advice...ive actually found someone selling their mark IV head...its over 6 years old, but looking at the pics it seems to be in mint condition...hes also selling a mesa 4X12, an old one with half of the back closed.. the gear appears in great condition and hes asking 2000 cdn for the both of them.. just out of curiosity does that seem like a good deal..at least it does to me

R2 settings:

R2 Gain: 10 (pulled)
Bass: 4 (3.5)
Mids: 5
Treb: 8 (sometimes 10)
Pres: 3 to 4
Master: to taste. I think I had both channel volume and Master on "3" for these clips.

Graphic: in inches from center-

80HZ 1/4 above
240 - center
750 - 1/4 below
2200 - 1/8 below
6600 - 1/4 below

I have Mesa 6L6GCs and EH EL34s in the power section
Harmonics / Simual Class / Full Power
Recording was done through a JCM 800 1960A cab, loaded with Celestion GT-70 speakers. Guitar was a frankien strat with a Duncan 59 in the bridge. My Lester sounds just as good though. I hope that helps. Keep in mind that I attack the strings very aggresively, so that contributes to the overall bite somewhat too. Hope these setting help.

Thanks SFW!

The only real differences in how I run mine is in the graphic eq. (well that, and my cab, and all 6L6s and... :lol: )

Nice to see some different eq setting from my standard mild "V" that I can relate to some sounds now.

OK, thread hijack over. :p

Latest posts

Back