Mark IV question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacksonUSA

Reaction score
let's say I was to change the power tubes for the rythm section to EL-34s, could I run the power section of that channel on 10 and make it distort and use it as an old marshall and add some preamp gain as a gain boost ? Or would that **** up the amp since it's master volume ?

I agree with your taste in guitars, but please do not try that with your amp. Tube amps in reality may distort at 4 and reach peak volume at 5-6.
Cranking an amp to 10 is not very kind. As far as putting four EL34's in, I would not unless I changed the screen grid resistors and bias, otherwise it would just sound cold. Try class A Pentode with EL34's and open the volume up. You won't ever nail a Marshall tone either. The MK's are just not designed that way, that's a good reason to keep a good Marshall in the stable.

try putting mesa el34's in the out tubes only..then rhy2 push the gain knob and turn it down alittle to 8 or so.. then a slight front end clean boost to chop up v1 .. that wouldn't sound like a marshal but it would sound pretty dam good..

The EL34's will give a "British" edge, but not a Marshall sound no matter how hard you push them.

Only Spinal Tap can make it go to 11.

Oh, and Soldano SLO 100's! Makes me want to buy one just because it goes to 11....

Latest posts

Back