Mark IV question - Petrucci Ld1/Ld2 - Mod?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ahess86

Reaction score
I was looking through pictures of Petrucci's rig on his website just for kicks, and I noticed that he has Lead 1/2 labeled at (2) different places on his Mark IV. On the front panel he has "LD1" at R2 Treb. and "LD2" at Lead Drive. Then on the external switching jacks (back panel) he has the Class A/Simulclass jack relabeled as "Lead 1/2"

Is this a known mod that has given him 2 switchable lead channels, or is he just relabeling for his own use and using a stock setup? Just curious... If its a mod I'm not gonna run out and have it done to mine just because he's John Petrucci and I want to sound like him :p (Everyone is different, tone is in the hands, blah)

Just curious about this Lead 1 / Lead 2 labeling.

I noticed this a while ago and mentioned it on the Petrucci forum.

I always guessed it was some kind of secret mod just for him that modded Rhy2 for a second lead channel? Seems funny he has the Class A/Simul Class jack relabelled and something plugged into it as I doubt he's switching to class A...

He's stated his Mark IV's are completely stock. And I'd believe so. If he modded R2 as a second lead channel, why not use the R2 switching jack?

There were some speculations on the Petrucci Forum not so long ago, and some suggested he's actually using Class A for leads and Simul-Class for rhythm (or vice versa). I haven't tried this myself, but I hear Class A really pronounces the mids and gives a smoother, "glassier" tone for leads. Someone on the forum had tried this with his Mark IV, and discovered some really pleasant results. You could do a search there, it's been brought up lots of times.

Octavarius said:
He's stated his Mark IV's are completely stock. And I'd believe so. If he modded R2 as a second lead channel, why not use the R2 switching jack?

There were some speculations on the Petrucci Forum not so long ago, and some suggested he's actually using Class A for leads and Simul-Class for rhythm (or vice versa). I haven't tried this myself, but I hear Class A really pronounces the mids and gives a smoother, "glassier" tone for leads. Someone on the forum had tried this with his Mark IV, and discovered some really pleasant results. You could do a search there, it's been brought up lots of times.

It does sound nice, but there's a volume drop when switching to Class A. I used to have a latching switch to perform that switch on my Mark IV and the volume drop was a little too much to get any real use from it. Then again, he could boost the volume of his FX to compensate I suppose.

Yeah, that option doesn't really explain the labels that he placed on the front panel either IMO.

Browsing the JP forums now

Without getting into the whole "it's in your hands and not in the mods" debate mentioned earlier... JP says it's all stock and it may or may not be the case. I remember meeting him at the NAMM show in '92 when Images and Words was fairly new. Not a ton of people flocking around the guy yet. I asked him what he set his graphic EQ to..

(You ever wonder what questions will come out of your mouth when you meet one of your favorite guitar players and you say the first thing that pops into your head? Case in point to think about that before you actually run into one of your guitar heroes and ask what he sets his graphic eq to on his Mark IIC+'s.)

Anyway, he looked at me while smiling for the photo and said, "I really don't remember". Looking back on that after all these years and now knowing what a tone junkie he has always been I don't think he was being completely up front with me. :roll:

Mark Fore said:
Without getting into the whole "it's in your hands and not in the mods" debate mentioned earlier... JP says it's all stock and it may or may not be the case. I remember meeting him at the NAMM show in '92 when Images and Words was fairly new. Not a ton of people flocking around the guy yet. I asked him what he set his graphic EQ to..

(You ever wonder what questions will come out of your mouth when you meet one of your favorite guitar players and you say the first thing that pops into your head? Case in point to think about that before you actually run into one of your guitar heroes and ask what he sets his graphic eq to on his Mark IIC+'s.)

Anyway, he looked at me while smiling for the photo and said, "I really don't remember". Looking back on that after all these years and now knowing what a tone junkie he has always been I don't think he was being completely up front with me. :roll:
:lol:

I've heard guys talking about their rigs... "power conditioner...I think its Furman...not sure..." :lol:

I've heard guys talking about their rigs... "power conditioner...I think its Furman...not sure..." :lol:[/quote]

Thats John ALL THE WAY!!!hahahaha
Richb

Random Hero said:
Octavarius said:

It does sound nice, but there's a volume drop when switching to Class A. I used to have a latching switch to perform that switch on my Mark IV and the volume drop was a little too much to get any real use from it. Then again, he could boost the volume of his FX to compensate I suppose.

He does use boost pedals for his lead tones as well, so there's a good chance he might compensate with boosting volume on those too...

for any slight notice in volum change with distorted boost, you'll have to turn the preamp gain pretty low anyway.

I think most of petrucci's tone builds up around being played loud at gigs. His tone wasn't special at all in the new chaos in motion DVD.

Octavarius said:
Great observation, Octavarius!!

When I had seen them in the summer of 2007 I was noticed that both of his Mark IV heads never changed from R3 + EQ including Clean passages so I can only assume the Lonestar handled that. The two Mark IV heads are EQ ‘d a bit different but I’m not going to say one for lead and one for rhythm. With the stomp boxes that he uses that can make any of the two amps more overdriven (or lead amps if you choose) BTW not saying he never uses the R2 channel just not the night I had seen them, may have changed things through the tour. But as “Octavrius” pointed out R2 is not even there to switch in.
So basically I think at least the night I had seen DT both Mark IV’s are set up as different rhythm tones (overdriven) and uses the stomp boxes to push the front end for leads. Truth is with the Axcess pedal board he has it is very easy to reconfigure things. Everything right from the board, don’t have to go into every piece of gear and create new midi maps.

Thing I always found strange that JP is using the CFX4’s for channel switching but does not use the custom cable. Less wiring involved and there is no sonic difference in audio

Latest posts

Back