Mark IV question Long post!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radmo

Reaction score
Ok folks,
I have had my Mark IV almost 5 years now. Serial Number IV008808 (I think between 90-92. EV12L 200 watt speaker, Satellite hookup,new JJ 12ax7s and 4 6l6 JJs (though I DO have 2 El34s to swap as well)

When I got it was pretty beat up. Tolex torn, etc., and Lead drive knob shaft sheared off. Got a pot from Mesa to replace it.
I am slowly trying to refurbish it. Tolex replaced (Mesa sent me the tolex)
Gotta replace the handle, corners and Screws etc, plus speaker cloth.

Anyway, I HAVE tried many times to dial in settings, etc., but wasn never majorly impressed.

When I FIRST heard a Mark IV around 91, I said it was my dream amp and someday I'd own one. When I got this amp, I was disappointed that it didn't live up to my earlier expectations.Sounded thin/brittle, and hum/noisy.

I retubed it with JJ high gain kit, which made it alittle better, but still wasn't the MONSTER I hear everyone say it is.....

For the last few years I have always believed it may need to get a once-over from Mesa, and had planned on sending to them.As I said earlier,it's noisy, and sounds alittle thin/brittle. Adding EQ helps but I was trying NOT to rely on EQ for all 3 settings.

My biggest issue, was I never got to A/B it against another Mark IV.Looked everywhere.

Finally there is one at my local Guitar Center...Serial #IV2885, EV200watt 12, STR415/6l6 and STR450 EL34s..no satellite.

Took my Les Paul Standard, Mark IV and a Morley A/B/Y switch today and set both amp setting identical.
I found them VERY similar, but the Guitar Center Mark IV has a pinch more gain & bottom. Not much, but enough to notice, IMO.
I swapped those tubes to my amp, and swapped my tubes to the GC Mark..Same things. Theirs seemed allittle fatter..
They both had significant hum at the higher gain setting, whether low Master OR low Levels. I was always told it's a quiet amp.

What do you guys recommend I do to get my amp alittle more oomph?
Could it be a cap job?
I'm kinda hoping it's NOT a retube, as I already retubed and barely have 5 hours on these.
Any of you in the Baltimore area that may recommend a local tech to avoid shipping to Mesa?

I AM feeling alittle better that I MAY NOT need major component changes, and I AM feeling more motivated to play my amp now...I had been going thru different amps and currently use a Randall RG50TC right now as my main amp, due to noise/weight concerns with the Mesa.

Thanks in advance,
Radmo

well... you going to have to use the graphic EQ. it makes a big difference in shaping the tone of the amp. isn't there a setting where the EQ is only on the lead channel and not the clean. do the classic "V" setting. put the 80 a little below the top line and do the same for the band all the way on the left side. dip the 750 band a little below the middle line (or adjust to taste). the other 2 bands should both be bumped up a little. this should get you closer to a monster tone.

also, all high gain amps have noise. there's no way around it except by using a noise gate or not having the gain up (which defeats the point of having a high gain amp).

getting a 4x12 cab will help too. the tubes you have should be fine.

p.s. was the guitar center you went to in towson? i've been waiting for them to get a mark iv in.

+Mike+

Also, make sure you have the master volume past 3. I find the higher I run mine (usually 5-6) the better it sounds. You'll have to turn the individual channels pretty low though, so you don't go deaf.

You A/B's a MK IV A at GC versus a MK IV B. There are too many variables between the amps, tubes, speakers and room for anyone to make a judgment on the difference in tone from one MK IV to another.
Your aamp is capable of doing many things. IMHO, JJ preamp tubes are horrible in MK series amps and I find them dull and lacking a sense of gain. Try starting over with your settings and if you are not happy try different tubes and speakers.

I've heard a lot of people on here say JJ's are really good in MK series amps. What tubes provide the best harmonics

Boogiebabies,
I believe I saw you mention on another thread that the Mark-IV A had the MKIIC lead channel, while it was changed on the MarkIV/B version. Can I get my B modded easily to the "A" lead channel?

IMHO, JJ preamp tubes are horrible in MK series amps and I find them dull and lacking a sense of gain.

I use JJ's and find them to be better than the stock Mesa tubes that came with my IV. What do you use?

JA

Back