Mark IV preamp boost - do or don't ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highroller

Reaction score
I read somewhere that using gain/level boost pedals (e.g.: overdrive, distortion, etc...) in front of a Mark IV is not recommended. Is this because the Mark as a more sensitive preamp compared to other amps like Marshalls, etc...or this is just a matter of tonal preference ?

The tone and power of a Mark IV is awesome but I would like to add some personal "color" to my lead and R2 sound without damaging my preamp circuits.

Thanks

Dom

I wouldn't say not recommended to put in front of a Mark IV so much as not as effective as in other amps. The OD/boost will certainly not harm your amp. If it was going to harm your amp then there would be a big warning on the amp from Mesa and also in your user's manual.

I have tried several boosts on My MKIV and it only likes my BB Preamp, but only when I use almost no gain (about 8:45) and equal volume (about 11:45) and even then, only on the Rhy1 or Ryh 2 if the gain is about 7 or 8 max. I use the BB only when I want to get a compressed bluesy tone in Ryh 1 or 2. Otherwise, the amp doesn't need it imo

Hi, since last year I use Fulltone's "OCD" with my MK IV!
Although the MK IV actually don't need any OD'S, boost or Distortion pedals, I just tried the OCD, which I bought mainly for use with my other 1-channel tube amps. I must say, that I can get good chrunchy sounds using the OCD with the R2-channel of the MK IV. It is surely not a must, but one can get a fine alternative R2- sound using a OCD. I would recommend to try it out, I like it :wink: .

Arno

I agree with the BB.For Channel 1 it's too much, but on R2 and Lead it actually enhances and boosts the great tones the IV is capable of. This pedal has the ability to somehow tighten up almost any amp. It's the most amazing boost pedal I have ever come across. On the R2 with full boost. treble at 6 and Bass at 6 the IV was copping it's own high gain channel with a nice fat, but sharper tone. I was using the IV and the BB through a G-Flex 2X12 and both channel 2 and Lead were copping this Overture 1928 vibe.

i use a Ts-9 tube sreamer and a modded boss SD-1.not together ..sounds alot more fatter.. and i put the tube sreamer on over the clean to create a mild break up..

Back