Mark IV or LSC???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mountain Fever

Reaction score
I am new to Mesa and over the winter I ordered a LSS 1x12 which I am happier with every time I tinker with the sound choices.

Recently I went to my local dealer and had a chance to try the Mark IV and the Stiletto Ace. I really thought that the sound palette of the Mark IV was tremendous and I really thought the Ace paled next to the Mark. Last weekend I went back and tried the Mark again and this time the LSC. I had been leary of the LSC as I thought perhaps it would be too close to the LSS or worse yet my VibroKing. This time I had far more trouble getting a sound I liked out of the Mark and the LSC absolutely sounded wonderful, and to my surprise very good with a Gibson LP Custom (which I have and had never tryied with the LSC).

So now the problem seems to be, LSC or the Mark IV? For the price of the Mark I could get a LSC with an upgraded leather cover and make it look very unique. I would not spend the extra $$$ on an upgrad for the Mark as it is already enough.

So, the question for those of you who have made the choice or compared the two...which amp?

I mostly play classic rock with some time in the country/country rock realm. Somewhere down the line I'd like to get an archtop ( which also sounded great through the LSC).

Thanks for your opinion.

Do you need 2 or 3 channels? The Mark IV also has the GEQ which comes in very handy. If the LSC is what does it for you, that's what you should get, but I wouldn't judge it from playing it in the store, if you can get them both out of the store and try them side by side that would be the best. The LSC is next on my list, but that's with my Mark IV and Recto not in place of them 8)

I had a Mark IV and now own a LSC. Both are great amps. The Mark IV is more versatile with 3 channels but also a bit more complicated than the LSC. If you play more metal than anything then go for the Mark IV, if not then go for the LSC. My metal days are slowing down so the LSC suits me just fine.

I haven't spend enough time with the LSS or LSC, but to me IMHO I feel that the Lonestars do clean and overdriven-blues the best and that's it. From what I hear you need to be at loudish levels to really to really let her sing. Now having said that, the MK IV does a lot of things very well. Sure you have to tweak it to taste, but once you figure it out you'll be quite happy and find new sounds every day at ANY volume.

Latest posts

Back