Mark IV Neutral Settings

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MereImage

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've had a Mark IV wide body combo for years but haven't been able to dial it in. I've tackled this from time to time using the sample settings and recommended settings from the boards. This hasn't worked for me very well. I've read the manual many times as well as tips given on the boards.

I usually go about dialing in an amp by setting it to neutral settings and then adjusting to taste. As you know, the number of options, interactivity between the various controls and the amount of variation with each control makes this difficult.

What I'm looking for are recommendations for neutral settings. I'd like to set things up so that the controls are having as little impact on the signal as possible. I'm looking to establish a baseline from which I can different aspects of my tone.

So... Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Dave

First thing's first....
1. How does it sound right now?
2. What's your typical setting?
3. What speaker in the combo?
4. What kind of sound are you after?

In the lead channel most settings usually won't stray too far from this:
Gain 7-8
Treble 7-8
Bass 2
Mid 3
Drive 7-8
Presence to taste
If everything is right, this should get you into the liquidy lead territory, which is what most Mark IV users are after.

Trem,

Thanks for responding.

1. Not exactly sure how to answer this. It's a late model amp, 2005 or 2006. It has fresh tubes. I've run it with four 6L6s and two 6L6s and two EL34s. It currently has four 6L6s. There are no problems with the amp.

2. I don't have any typical settings.

3. It has a C-90.

4. I'm not after a particular sound. I play mostly classic rock and progressive rock. I've also played in blues bands and country.

Thanks,

MereImage said:
1. Not exactly sure how to answer this. It's a late model amp, 2005 or 2006. It has fresh tubes. I've run it with four 6L6s and two 6L6s and two EL34s. It currently has four 6L6s. There are no problems with the amp.
No probs. Obviously I didn't word my first question properly heh :oops: . Should have been like this. What is it that don't you like about it? Too harsh? Too muffled? Too flabby?

7 3 3
treb bass mid

That is the equivalent of the "everything to noon" method of dialing. You will probably want less bass. If you change the treble knob, think of it as changing how much signal the bass and mid knobs receive, so you may have to re-EQ.

Have you tried the instant gratification settings? I find RHY2 is wonderful for classic rock. especially with a neck humbucker turned right up. Unfortunately, I can't remember which setting from the manual I used! I know I didn't tweak it much to get it just how I like it.
Try a few of them - they are a good place to start.

Trem,

It's not what's wrong with the tone. It's what's not right. I can't describe it but I'll know it when I hear it.

phyrexia,

Thank you. That's exactly what I was looking for.

stoz,

I've tried the settings from the manual but none of them were exactly right for me.

I feel like I've been taking a shotgun approach to dialing in the Mark IV, trying different settings to see if they work. I know, from an abstract perspective, what the various controls do and their interaction with each other but don't feel I know what to really expect when making changes. That's why I'm looking for a "everything to noon" as phyrexia stated. This'll give me a baseline I can compare changes to.

Thanks to all for responding.

stoz said:
Have you tried the instant gratification settings? I find RHY2 is wonderful for classic rock. especially with a neck humbucker turned right up.
I'm guessing you meant these to NOT be read together: the instant gratification setting of R2 Gain on 10 and R1+R2 Bass on 3 will result in nuthin' but flubby, floppy bottom end, unless you're using only the weakest, thinnest vintage-ish single coils!

I can relate if you have a markIV combo w/ a c90 in it. I usually play through a metal grill 4x12 w/ the top open (EVs on bottom and c90s on top) sounds great. so I figured that my thiele(EV) w/ my markIV combo stacked on top of it would sound like a mini metal grill 4x12..like a metal grill 2x12 w/ the top open. WRONG!!!!!!!!! The markIV and the c90 in the combp just sounds way too honky or too boxy. I hate that sound about the markIV. My C+ never had this problem. So..solution is play through a 4x12. Or for a more compact rig, I just simply unplug my c90 and plug it into a thiele with an EV in it. Now that is the best practice amp ever.

Ok, so on RHY2, try these:

Gain - 8
Treble - 7
Mids - 6
Bass - 1-2 (Sounds funny, but seriously, don't need much bass with the GEQ)

Presence - Anwhere between 3-6, give it a whirl.

GEQ - Slight V but with reduced bass.

Pentode (triode if playing quietly)
Harmonics
Simul Class

Tell us how that sounds.

Latest posts

Back