Mark IV Mode... No Balls?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jjboogie said:
Hendog said:
Maybe it is my speakers? I use V30's and I have been struggling with them sence day 1.

I just dont know of a cab that is the answer. I know a 1x12 will not cut it. Mesa's 4x12 is just V30's again. I have considered going with a 2x12 with G100K's but no one has tried them with the Mark V so I dont know what to expect.

I have also considered the Deliverance 2x12 with Eminance 50 watters, but again I cant find anyone that has tired them with the Mark V.

Try the C90's!!!

Would one of Mesa's 1x12's with C90's cut it or do I need 2x12's? What Mesa Cab is good with the C90's for our Mark V's? Link?

Hendog said:
jjboogie said:
Hendog said:
Maybe it is my speakers? I use V30's and I have been struggling with them sence day 1.

I just dont know of a cab that is the answer. I know a 1x12 will not cut it. Mesa's 4x12 is just V30's again. I have considered going with a 2x12 with G100K's but no one has tried them with the Mark V so I dont know what to expect.

I have also considered the Deliverance 2x12 with Eminance 50 watters, but again I cant find anyone that has tired them with the Mark V.

Try the C90's!!!

Would one of Mesa's 1x12's with C90's cut it or do I need 2x12's? What Mesa Cab is good with the C90's for our Mark V's? Link?

I think a 2x12 would be just fine.

I have a vertical cab which I love. I also have a an open back 1x12 cab.

Both sound great however it just depends on the situation of which I will use.

Maybe you can take your head to a local store and try out some different cabs? That's what I would do if I were you.

Many people underestimate how solid the C90's are I think. To me they are very versatile speakers.

I still use a road worn Marshall Anniversary 4X12, and 1936 2X12 (both closed backs) with G12-75s for thump, balls and projection. Not harsh and very versatile on everything from clean to Xtreme

Age and mild abuse put the mojo into this set up, and the IV Mode sounds fantastic through it

+1 on higher mid settings to up the roar factor

Here are my IV mode settings:

Gain: 2:30
Master: To taste (usually loop bypass and master around 10:30-11:00)
Presence: 10:00
Treble: 1:00
Mid: 10:30
Bass: 9:00

Classic "V" on the EQ, except I don't scoop mids completely.
90 watts Pentode

Even though IV mode is darker than the other 2 modes, I get some fizz if I leave the treble and presence settings up like I do on C+ and Extreme.

Extreme has my favorite rhythm tones, but not too crazy on single note tones. C+ mode does both pretty well and is a good workhorse channel, but Mark IV mode has my favorite single note tones in the amp, and I like the rhythm tones a little better than C+ mode. IV is usually what I set it on depending on the song and my mood for the day.

I'm using a mix of G12T-75s and V30s.

The G12T-75s have an extended low end and sharper top end that the V30s lack. They also chunk up nicely with dirt+volume. Only problem with them is they have an ice-picky top end and a midrange that's so hollow you could drive a transport truck through it.

Enter the V30s. The V30s have a rolled off top and bottom with a very thick midrange. I think they're a great speaker in a band situation, but on their own they have a big midrange spike and tend to sound harsh.

Combining the two smoothens both out. The V30s fill in the G12Ts midrange and smooth out the icepick. The G12Ts fill in the V30s lack of bottom end and smooth out the midrange spike.

Back