Mark IV Metallica test

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boola

Reaction score
I was bored this afternoon and was reading about how Metallica used IIC+s into Marshall poweramps and realised I had the gear to actually try out something similar with my Mark IV.

I slaved the Marshall 900 power section from the Mark IV but I also used the Mark IV power section to different speaker and it turned out sounding pretty cool!

My camera is terrible, it dulls the tone but using both amps and speakers at the same time sounds awesome in person, I think I will have a lot of fun messing around with this setup...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxpGCaVtNhw

That's mostly the cameras fault, I have to turn the trebble down to stop it fizzing out, then it gets boomy, I guess if I want to go full Metallica I should get about 8 mikes round each cab too :)

I've been messing around with this setup tonight, not just Metallica tone hunting and the the mix of mesa and marshall amps and cabs is just awesome! The mesa rig provides the beef for rythm and the marshall fills it in beautifully. For soloing, the marshall rig adds an airy smoothness to the tone.

So it looks like I'll be burning through 8 power tubes when I play at home from now on :twisted:

I thought it sounded great.
the more I hear Mark IV's the more I feel like moving my Rectoverb for one.

anewdefguitarist said:
ok, im new to this kind of thing...could someone explain exactly how one goes about doing this sort of thing??

+1 on that one. if anyone could explain it would have been nice

EirikBrandal said:
anewdefguitarist said:
ok, im new to this kind of thing...could someone explain exactly how one goes about doing this sort of thing??

I believe the Mark IV has a direct out for recording. If you take this output into the power section of a Marshall, you get the Mesa Sound, with Marshall Power.

thunderkyss said:
EirikBrandal said:
anewdefguitarist said:

I believe the Mark IV has a direct out for recording. If you take this output into the power section of a Marshall, you get the Mesa Sound, with Marshall Power.

No, don't do that. The direct out I think is doctored a bit, it's not a true preamp out.

Just use your loop and run the send into the return jack of another amp to send your preamp signal to the other amp's power amp input.

There's actually a Slave DI out on the MarkIV which has a volume control which is very useful so you don't need to use the FX out.

The Slave DI goes into the FX return on the Marshall. So I had both the Mesa and Marshall cabs being driven by their own poweramps.

Latest posts

Back