Mark IV Master Volume - Best Working Point of The Power Amp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark IX

Reaction score
Hi, there My Name Is Joe Kataldo, I'm a proud owner ow a mesaboogie mark IV, well apart from some noise issues I'm facing...but I hope to solve soon.

So, the point is...talking with some friend when I was in L.A. they said to me that every poweramp has a best working point, otherwords, a master volume setting that pushes the power amp just before thay get distorted (a minimal distortion maybe non audible) and this give the smothest distortion/compression, because cames from power tubes, along the pre tubes (I know my english sucks, and it's hard to me explain myselfs)

for example donato, my friend, said to me that he called mesas and speaking about the 2:50 power amp they said that "5" was the optimal master volume setting (maybe the amp is too loud for room practicing, or small gig, but I play most of the time during summer, outdoor gigs)

Does anyone has more information about this issues and in particular about the mark IV?

Now I'm in Italy...but if I will came back to L.A. I'll surely call mesa asking for the best working point of the Mark IV power amp

Hey Joe, :wink:

IME, the output control set at 3-4 with the lead channel master set low is very nice and already too loud for most applications. If you set it at 5 and higher you wont get any louder (power amp will start distorting) and the amp will start losing tightness, but will sound creamier (which some people like). I'm talking about all 6L6s. Haven't tested with EL34s in the outer sockets, but maybe the headroom would be less with them.

~trem

John Petrucci puts the output level to 2 only. most mesa amps depend on pre-amp distortion though.

I know that mesas work on pre mainly...anyway looks like to me too that the sweet spot is just before the amp start to distort between 3 and 4

I know that petrucci uses it set the master on 2 but does't he use the slave out and than goes into a 2:100 power amp?

Mark IX said:
I know that mesas work on pre mainly...anyway looks like to me too that the sweet spot is just before the amp start to distort between 3 and 4

I know that petrucci uses it set the master on 2 but does't he use the slave out and than goes into a 2:100 power amp?

Not anymore. He set the master to around 5 at G3, so I imagine he could be doing that again now he's using the IV's power amp.

Latest posts

Back