Mark IV - Live situation problem...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

falcos

Reaction score
Hey all,

I use the LD channel with Graphic EQ ON for rhythm and lead. The only thing that's different between my rhythm and lead sound is I increase the lead gain and drive settings for the solos.

My dilemma, how can I obtain this for live situations without having to buy another Mark IV? Lol. I want to be able to hit 1 footpedal somewhere.

Here's what I have: Mark IV, Mark IV Footswtich, G-Major, Midi footswitch.

Any ideas ???

Thanks.

if you only increase lead gain and lead drive you won't have a noticeable output level boost, but only increased overdrive saturation, right? So if you only want to increase the amount of distortion as said above, a clean boost in front of the amp could be a solution... but be careful since many pedals are tone-suckers if put in front of the amp...

Yeah, that could be done, but I also like to use the Gmajor a tad of delay, so I'd have to hit 2 switches (turn boost on, and switch to lead preset on Gmajor. And like you mentioned, those clean boosts do color the sound a bit, and I love the Mark IV as is.

Thanks...any other ideas?

Most clean boosts don't color the tone much, and you might actually like what it does. It's not that much harder to stomp on two switchs vs. one, you just do the boost first, and roll the guitar volume down a bit to compensate, then right before the lead, activate the FX, roll up the volume and you're there.

You might try setting your amp up for rthymn playing with your guitar volume on 8, then all you'll need to do is roll up the volume to 10 for leads.

falcos said:
Yeah, that could be done, but I also like to use the Gmajor a tad of delay, so I'd have to hit 2 switches (turn boost on, and switch to lead preset on Gmajor. And like you mentioned, those clean boosts do color the sound a bit, and I love the Mark IV as is.

Thanks...any other ideas?

If youre using the G Major, then you don't need any clean boost pedal in front of the amp. All you need to do is have the preset in which you play rhythm -- reduce the outlvl by a certain amount. Then for your lead preset, boost that level up (up to I believe 6 DB -- the max).

This is what I did with my Mark IV when I had the G Major (I now have the G Force but the strategy is the same) and it works quite well.

Yeah, that works fine for only adjusting levels, which I do currently do, but the clean boost in front of the amp actually adds more saturation, and that's what I'm trying to figure out to do by only hitting 1 switch, and getting delay/vol adjustment from the g-major.

i'd recommend doing what adrenaline junkie said...
set the gain on your amp for 'solo mode' and then roll back your guitar volume knob to like 7 or 8 for rhythm... then turn it up to 10 for your solos

I run a POD XT Live in the loop of my mark IV. I have a setting that is clean with no effects and a setting that is set up for solo boost with some delay. I leave the loop set to "on" on the mark IV and just step on a different patch on the POD for a lead boost and some delay. The POD is very transparent and doesn't color the tone at all that I can tell when set clean in the loop. Another way I run it sometimes is to have the loop off and the POD set up for a solo boost and then just activate the loop on the mark IV when I want that extra kick or certain effect.

Another option would be to get a Ground Control Pro and GCX module. That would allow you to add a boost in front of the MK IV, change the channel and/or EQ, and your program for the TC G Major with one tap. Other benefits would be for silent tuning, adding a tap feature etc.

Back