Mark IV: "Lead Gain" vs "Lead Drive"...???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

endorush

Reaction score
I know the instructions say something like "the higher lead gain is, the more gain is available with the lead drive knob" or something like that.

I play around with different amounts of both knobs, and dial in tone based on what my ears think.

BUT, does anybody with electronics background actually know the relationship between these two knobs? Like what exactly these two knobs do to the signal? Lead Gain high with Lead Drive low, or vice versa.

Is it cascading gain or something? Like instead of giving me one high gain knob, they give me 2 mid gain knobs and each one controls gain at a different part of the circuit?

Like I said I follow my ears, but I'm interested in whats happening inside the amp when I turn these knobs.

i think that means that the signal is amplified by the lead gain knob before it hits the lead drive. so the higher the lead gain is turned up, the lead drive will drive the signal even higher, resulting in more distortion.

scott

Back