Mark IV lead channel problems

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CerpinVolta

Reaction score
I am new to the board so Hi everyone!

Anyways now that that is out of the way, I am having problems with the lead channel on my mark IV. Earlier today I started getting an unusual amount of feedback on my lead channel. I was only playing with the master on a little above 2. Later this evening I turned it on and started playing. Both the RH1 and RH2 channels were fine but when I switched to the lead I would strike a chord then it would crackle and fart out. I switched to standby for a minute or so then played again. Same thing happened. I turned the amp off and came back and played it an hour later and it was fine. I bought this amp new in October 2005 and I have never re-tubed. Everything is completely stock. This is the only tube amp i have ever owned so I'm not really sure what to do. I suspect it is a problem with one of the tubes but I don't know if its preamp or power amp tube. I figure the stock tubes have been in there long enough so i might just consider a full retube. If anyone knows what the problem might be and how to remedy it i would really appreciate it. Also if i am going to retube what are some of the best 6l6's i can put in it. Sorry for such the long post and thank you ahead of time.

Dave

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll give swapping preamp tubes around a try.

Platypus, nice to see someone else who appreciates Volta!

Thanks,
Dave

Yeah, retube your preamp tubes. Mesas tend to be harder on them than some other amps. I had one that was barely functioning on one side. Though the amp still worked, it was a little weak sounding when the other side of the tube was being used. After the retube the amp came to life and there were no oddities.

Back