mark iv just blew :'(

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris_EIT

Reaction score
so I was playing as usual, and all the sudden, weird harmony effect, crackling sound and terrible smell. I just turned it straight off. wat the hell do I do? the fuse is fine, but the lights went very dim on it wen the change occurred. I was using it on full power with the volume on 2.

cheers guys,
I hope I can fix this, im on the verge of tears lol my poor baby

ps. tubes LOOK fine from my view, should I try it on tweed pwr?

amps usually don't smell when just a tube blows. something inside the chassis cooked....hopefully you had just a resistor burn....worst case, you may have lost a transformer (unlikely, though).

Ok, well despite my better judgemen, I turned on the amp, but I turned everything off that i could ran it straight connected on tweed power class a and so on, weakest power etc, it simply put out a static sound and smelled again, I'm going to take it to an amp tech asap, unfotunately so close to christmas I'm not sure I can get it looked at soon :(
Bugger

I HOPW it's just a resistor or something. Any chance it might be the caps? The amp is an A model, serial 1280

So yeah, pretty darn old :S

Cheers again

Don't worry too much...

The smell is most likely due to a resistor blowing after a power tube went bad - not that uncommon.

Odd are that a tech will have you up and running quickly at a minimal cost.

Good luck.

Yes, it's quite strange that the fuse is OK... check to make sure the fuse is the proper rating for the amp.
It sounds like you had a power tube failure and it cooked some screen grid resistor(s) but it's hard to make a proper diagnosis based on the information without seeing it.

Make sure that fuse is the proper rating... someone decided to put a 10A fuse in one of my C+'s :shock:
Good thing I found it before anything terrible happened. :roll:

cheers guys. u give me hope haha. well after more chat with friends who know amps their bet is a cap or resistor. ill get it looked at b4 new year though. how can I boogie wit out my boogie ;p

ok the mark iv is in the shop!!! more details soon, I hope its nothing major :s

Same thing happened to my ~1993? Mark IVA head. Just hadn't been maintained like it should have and a power tube redplated and blew a resistor. I think it came down to dirty tube sockets.

Woo!!! Just got it back! Turned out to be a few diodes. It's now back with a full service! Only cost me $150
good times

Latest posts

Back