MARK IV ISSUES!!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From reading your posts, you seem pretty immature. I think you probably need to turn off the GEQ, turn down the gain, and practice.

All good tips. One more:

Change your strings.

At least personally, sometimes I'll forget to change strings. Over a couple of days, I'll start thinking I need new gear because my current rig sounds dead. Then I'll remember to change strings and everything sounds pristine again.

Oh, and regarding practicing, I remember when I first got my Quad and tried to set it like Metallica. I thought it sounded nothing like Metallica, but then I read that you should practice playing through that setting for a while and your playing will adapt and the amp will really shine. Well, I did and it did. A lot of your tone is in your fingers.

Then again, the problem may be in the amp...

I'll give you some of my settings later. I don't see how your getting problems getting a Metallica sound, it's really easy to be honest.

metalblitz84 said:
It just sounds muffled and dying and the only way to get any treble is to set the treble, presence, and 6600 glider all the way up, but that also makes it really thin sounding and tinny.

Wow, your ears must be dead. Setting all those key factors way up will obviously make it sound too thin but it should not sound muffled. Honestly just read the manual over again or it could just be a problem with your Mark IV. Try being more aggresive the way your pick your strings, the player him or herself can make a big difference toward the tone. Since we have similar gear except for our guitars body/wood, once I'll give you my Metallica sets you shouldn't have a problem. Give it some time, it's the best freakin' amp in the world.

phyrexia said:
From reading your posts, you seem pretty immature. I think you probably need to turn off the GEQ, turn down the gain, and practice.

Thank you for your positive input and encouragement.

I'm off to a music store tomorrow to test the head with multiple different cabs and guitars and see if I can get a good tone. Maybe it's the guitar. The best way to describe it is it sounds like the tone know (which I hate) is completely turned down. I'll switch the battery again and keep trying things out.

metalblitz84 said:
I'm off to a music store tomorrow to test the head with multiple different cabs and guitars and see if I can get a good tone. Maybe it's the guitar. The best way to describe it is it sounds like the tone know (which I hate) is completely turned down. I'll switch the battery again and keep trying things out.

Try another guitar and different cables too.. try another speaker cable as well.

it took alot of time for me to get used to the mark iv. so be patient. its not a one trick pony. and it has its own sound.

OK!!!!!!!!!!!! IT WASN'T ME!!!! So I took my guitar and my cab to samash. They set it up and it sounded amazing. Never heard it that clear and crunchy. So when I get home it sounds like crap again. So, it's either got to be my guitar or like someone else said the voltage in the room or something. I just switched the battery in my guitar and it didn't help at all. What else could cause this. I just don't get it. Any further help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMHO, if you are going for a heavy rhythm sound, throw the WOOD to it (Explorer, Les Paul, etc.) with at least a .010 set of strings and passive pickups. You will save a lot of money on batteries :eek: . This will apply to ANY amp. At the music store, did they plug anything into the effects loop?
Do you run any effects in the loop at home?

I have an LTD EX with active EMG's and the Zakk Wylde strings (.60-.10). No effects just my head to my cab with another LTD with EMG's and some crappy lilttle cables. They looked like Radio Shack cables. I use Monster Cables with my setup. That's it and it sounded like I've heard before in the past, like I want it to sound. Best **** amp in the world. Thanks Rabies!!!! Go **** yourself!!!!!!!!!! :)

Did you play the guitar or did the guy at sam ash play your guitar?

Also, did you bring your amp with you or just your guitar and your cab?

I still thing it's your right hand's fault.

Yeah, both my head and my cab. I played it myself for about half an hour cause I couldn't stop playing it sounded so good. My right hand is fine...it's my right nut that doesn't feel right.

Holy Grail tone could cost you your your right nut. Get a Stiletto ;)

I'm getting a recto 2x12 monday.... and ditching the MKIV in a few months for a Stiletto Deuce head. Just fed up with a different tone every night. Christmas is coming soon... :)

Just fed up with a different tone every night.

IMO if you're in a good mood and you really want to play your guitar, the Mark IV will just sing the way you want it to sing.

If you like the stiletto better then go for it. Everybody has different taste and certain things aren't for certain people. Be true to yourself. If you really don't like something then go for the other. As far as what other people's opinions and what they say...forget about 'em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you run a power conditioner that tells you what voltage you're getting by any chance?

Latest posts

Back