Mark IV in low volume needs something extra

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Retu

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm playing my Mark IV combo at home (low volumes) and I'm quite satisfied with the tone. However, I'm thinking how to get some more low end crunch and growl without this "blanket over the amp" or "boxy and nasal" effect. Highs and mids are OK.
Because I don't have space for 4x12, should I get myself a Thiele or some kind of a booster (bb preamp, OCD, tubescreamer) ?

Current settings approx:

Lead gain: 8 pulled
treble: 8-9
mid: 5-7
bass: 2
drive: 7 pulled
presence: 4 pulled
Class A, Triode, Harmonics
EQ:slightly modified classic V

(pentode and mid gain give perhaps too artificial sound)

Thanks

I fine tune the EQ for different volumes ?

The cab is a huge factor in the tone.

I run mine thru a stack most of the time.
But keep it in a combo for a easy to move for jams that I do not feel the stack is needed.

a thiele under that would defintly beef up your tone.
whenever i'm playing at bedroom volume, i like to have a little bit of 370ms delay in my loop just to give my ears the illusion that my tone is "bigger".

I had a Mesa thiele it helped but always sounded weak compared to a 4x12.

You need to try some cabs with your amp and guitar to know what you are getting into.

What about ported Bogner cube 1x12 (V30) compared to thiele (C90) ? They are at the same price range and same size. Which one would be better combined with the combos internal speaker ?

I feel the thiele is the best sounding 1x12 I ever heard.
I had one for years. Wish I never sold it.
Still have the Mark IV combo.

EVM-12L loaded thiele is the ticket. Even used ones bring big money for a 1x12, and there is a reason why :twisted: . I did the 4x12 Celestion thing for many years, and now have four EV thieles, two for each amp. The only way I will ever own another 4x12 is loaded with vintage Celestion Greenbacks.

Back