Mark IV...great tones at low volumes, high volumes..ehhh

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphadog808

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I noticed that when I'm at home with the Mark IV, I get some killer distorted tones...however, when I play out, I play much louder, and I noticed that the tone wasn't quite as good. What I noticed is that the distortion seemed a bit more buzzy...

That being said, I didn't have much time to tweak the amp during soundcheck, so I just went with the settings I had. Basically, the settings at home, but a higher master output level.

Are there any settings I should tone back on because of the high volume? I'm thinking maybe if I cut the gain and the treble some, it might help. Note, my mids and bass are pretty low(~2). I did not have the EQ running.

Another thing to consider...the amp was firing up at me and was about...6 feet or so from me(used as a monitor) so I'm wondering if maybe out there(I was miced) it sounds great, but because of my close proximity, it sounded bad...?

I'm running a combo, so I have it tilted back on amp stand so it fires towards my head. That way I can hear myself better.

I'm running a Les Paul to a Ibanez TS9 to a ISP Decimator to the Mark IV. As for the other settings, I can't remember them exactly at the moment, but I do remember that I had the amp on tweed, class A, triode. I also had the mids and bass around 2, and the fat and bright pulled. I think I had the gain around 10(I now run it at 7 sounds similar to me- low volume) and the master for the lead was low, around 2-4. presence and treble were relatively low as well around 4 or so....

I thought I short on power so I changed off the tweed, but same results. I suspect it's a user setting or me being too close/direct to the speakers more than anything else...

Could it be the tubes? If they were bad, would they exhibit problems at higher volumes but sound fine at a lower volume?

yup, I meant maxed out...I kinda dig the distortion sound when it's high like that at lower levels, but at higher levels...I think it might be part of the problem. No way to tell till I do it again tho.

At home, it's not firing up at me, but it's a bit closer to me. Note, it's much more quiet at home(no drummer, singers, etc), so I don't have to go even close to the volume when out. I'm not even playing that loud! I think at home I was pushing the master output around 1 and out was about...2.5-3.

I should also mention that I practice sitting down(so closer to the speaker) while I play standing up...dunno if it makes a difference, but I thought I'd mention it.

i noticed that the louder i got, the more i lower the presence.
at bedroom volumes its at 6 or 7, then at band volume its down to 2.

I have a mark IV rackmount I use with various cabs, and I am going through the EXACT same thing at gigs. The projection of this amp is VERY tempermental-some nights my cab is on the floor 6 feet behind, and some nights its in front of me (like a monitor) on a 25 degree angle (the high end will kill you).
But, 15 feet out in front of the speaker its always been amazing-my sound guys are very impressed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as well! Am I the only guy here that pulls the shift knob on lead presence? It sounds fatterand warmer. thanks, ari

Ok good, it's not just me. at gigs there's plenty of treble and presence. Anyone here have advice on how to position your mark IV's amp/speaker?

Ok good, it's not just me. at gigs there's plenty of treble and presence. Anyone here have advice on how to position your mark IV's amp/speaker?

Yah, I agree the treble is strong when the speaker is firing at you. In fact, it makes me play differently because it's so harsh. I keep forgetting that it might sound like crap in here, but out there(esp through a mixer), it might sound good. I think maybe I shouldn't fire it at me and just crank...*shrug*

gonzo said:
might i suggest the addition of Weber Beam Blockers on your cab?

I second the beam blockers, or something similar, even tape on the grill cloth. This makes a drastic difference on this amp, for the better that is. Totaly cuts down the buzzy/thin highs and distributes them wider. Great investment.

Ari,
Let me know how it goes for you. I'm going to try and make a homemade beam blocker; I just ordered at 4" dustcap off the web, so all I need to do is get a beam to connect it to.

Will do! I know I could've put duct tape, but for 15 bucks a pop I figured why not. I'm also waiting for a modded tubescreamer in the mail before I gig with my mark IV again anyhow...
Ari

If I had to ballpark it, I would say that beamblockers widened the field of sound my amp produces by 30 degrees at least. They were worth the money.

the only speaker i'd ever bother with those beam blockers on, is a vintage 30.
but i try my best to keep v30's as far away from my rig as possible. :lol:

Latest posts

Back