Mark IV gain issues

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttbaron

Reaction score
How much gain should one expect from a Mark IV A? I think my preamp tubes might be bad. Rhythm 2 sounds barely like AC/DC distortion with the gain knob on 10 - is this typical? I get good saturation on the lead channel, but need to turn the gain and channel drive almost to 10. I'm just wondering if this is the way these channels are designed or if you think my preamp tubes are shot.

I played a Mark IV in my local shop the other day and it exhibited the same characteristics but also in the lead channel. Very low gain. I owned a Mark IV back in '91-92 and remember having tons of gain at my finger tips... doesn't seem normal.

Does not sound normal... I run my gain on 8 and my volume on 3 and it blows me through the back wall. Cascading gain has lots of variables though, where are your drive/gain/volume controls at? Master output?

Follow your instinct. Your preamps tubes probably need changing.

Platypus said:
Does not sound normal... I run my gain on 8 and my volume on 3 and it blows me through the back wall. Cascading gain has lots of variables though, where are your drive/gain/volume controls at? Master output?

I've tried all combinations of drive, gain, eq and volume - same results. Are you talking rhythm 2 or lead? I'll try changing the preamp tubes and I think that should work.

On rhythm 2 and lead do you notice a big increase in low end muddiness when the bass control is around 4 or higher?

ttbaron said:
On rhythm 2 and lead do you notice a big increase in low end muddiness when the bass control is around 4 or higher?

Muddiness? No...

bluntage said:
I played a Mark IV in my local shop the other day and it exhibited the same characteristics but also in the lead channel. Very low gain. I owned a Mark IV back in '91-92 and remember having tons of gain at my finger tips... doesn't seem normal.

What the hell are you talking about! If anything the Mark IV has too much gain!

fpoon said:
bluntage said:

What the hell are you talking about! If anything the Mark IV has too much gain!

I was saying that something was wrong with the floor model. If you read it again, I said I previously owned a MKIV and it had plenty of gain.

Changed out the preamp tubes and it made a definite difference. Even with the lower amounts of gain from the old tubes it was pretty sweet with a pedal in front. Like everyone says, it takes a while to dial these amps in. If you keep the bass control low and compensate with the EQ it's way tighter.

Very good. Congratulations on the fix. Now it is time to explore your amp and tweak away.

Latest posts

Back