Mark IV gain and definitoin loss?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris_EIT

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just went and played on my amp today, first time since gig on satday night and well... I dunno, just sounds like it has lost some gain and definition. Any ideas why???
Thanks XD

Never played my Mark IV live before but I would like to know more info about this also, so bump!

Was your channel volume dialed in higher than your master volume?

You might be hearing the difference b/w playing live at a higher volume and playing in your bedroom at a lower volume?

In a live setting it also "feels" like there's more gain because of the soundscape, you could of also been attacking the strings harder because of the situation. One thing to always check on the mark IV is the push pull gain on the ld channel, it seems to like to get bumped in when I move mine, even in it's cover when nothing else is around it.

ToneAddictJon said:
In a live setting it also "feels" like there's more gain because of the soundscape...

chris_EIT said:
just sounds like it has lost some gain and definition.

He's wondering why it lost some gain. I agree with ToneAddictJon on the strumming the strings harder. This can cause muddyness to your sound and tube amps tend to be sensitive with the players pick attack against the strings so try not strumming so hard next time I guess. Again I'm not exactly sure since I never played live.

I'm gonna say that the tubes are easily over a year old. I bought it second hand and I've run them in quite a bit. First time Tube Amp user so I probly could have taken more care of them. I play it about an hour a day on Tweed, Simul-Class, Triode with master on 2.5. But if it's a gig day or prac session upto 4 hours XD
Maybe it's time for a tube swap. I did think about this and Eurotubes suggested some JJ6l6gc's with JJe34l's and 5 JJ ECC83S preamps. At an AMAZING price it would seeem *Australian pricing is pathetic*
So what do you think about this guys?

That's the same tube set I use from eurotubes.com, and I love them. Bob and the rest of the crew over there really know their tubes and ship fast as well. They have great prices as well.

haha good to hear some one has experience with this set XD
I'm big big on a good clean tone and the Mesa stock tubes give me a good clean. Will the clean channel suffer at all from this tube configuration?

They shouldn't hurt your clean channel any. You'll hear a bit of difference, and probably want to re-eq everything with new tubes, but you'll feel the difference more than anything else, it feels more alive with those tubes IMO. I use the high gain retube kit BTW.

Well I got offered the high gain kit also, but I figure i have more than enough gain anyway, i have my lead gain on 7.5, treble 7.5 and drive 7.5 and thats enough face melting gain i need XD

I don't get why people use eurotubes. Bob's a cool guy and everything but he's just a supplier of one brand of tubes. It's pretty easy to know your stuff when you only have to worry about one product line. If you want more gain and definition he's going to recommend JJs. If you want less gain and a creamier tone he's going to recommend JJs. No matter what you get JJs which aren't necessarily the best tube out there. I'd talk to Doug at Dougstubes.com. He sells JJ as well as about every other major brand out there. My Mark IV has Svetlana EL34s and JJ6L6GCs in it. It has the JJs because I got a set with the amp but when it comes time to change them I'm probably going to go with Winged Cs or Svetlanas.

I'm mostly going for JJ's because of the reviews I've seen and heard. I went to Eurotubes only after the review :p
There seems to be a good consensus on them but I think the thing about Bob is his help with chosing WHICH JJ's you want, he was prompt and very details about my tubes and I really like that in a salesperson/ expert etc.

How come nobody ever asks if you put on fresh strings after the gig?? Three sets turn nice fresh new bright sustaining strings into rubber bands on my main axe!!

Yeh, strings absolutely make a difference. I use DR strings at the moment, and well... First set of string that don't lose their tonal qualities after one gig. I know heaps of strings do that's why I don't use any others. I usually gig once or twice a week and with a Floyd rose I don't have the time to restring that often. Or the funds :p

I saw your myspace and you got plenty of gain, perhaps too much dialed in on your live shows so I don't see why your complaining.

that doesnt really solve anything, the problem is my gain being lower on the SAME setting that I usually have it on... But anyways, i've isolated it to a mixture of a small pickup problem and tubes which span well over a year and a half... Treated a little badly also :(
But yeh, thanks for the advice guys.
BTW - My live settings are:
Ld Gain 7.5 (Pulled), Treble 7.5, Drive 7 (Pulled), Prescence 3, bass 2.5, mids 5
GEQ:
middle line, below top line, above bottom line, just under middle, middle

Harmonics not midgain, sumul-class, triode, tweed

enjoy XD

Latest posts

Back