Mark IV found on Craigslist for $900!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

insearchoftone

Reaction score
It is NOT mine but I thought for this price I needed to share!
Check it out. TWEED and Beautiful wood!
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/msg/905762825.html
If I had $900 I would make it mine.
I paid $1250 for my widebody with black tolex.

Already checking with the guy. I might pick this up.

I GOT DIBS.

insearchoftone said:
It is NOT mine but I thought for this price I needed to share!
Check it out. TWEED and Beautiful wood!
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/msg/905762825.html
If I had $900 I would make it mine.
I paid $1250 for my widebody with black tolex.

I smell a rat!!!
Check out the same amp, pictures and all in an ebay auction in arizona! Last I looked, North Carolina and Arizona were quite a distance apart. But hey!,, I could be wrong!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ONE-OF-THE-LAST-MESA-BOOGIE-MK-IV-AMPS-MADE-NEW_W0QQitemZ120316550766QQihZ002QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Whoa, what the hell? I found it on the Chicago craigslist.

This does sound weird. If the guy wants to ship, I'm out. I thought he was local.

$900 on CL but $3999 BIN on ebay

well that's quite a difference too. One of them is an obvious fake. I'm leaning more towards the ebay one being the fake. No one in their right mind would pay that much money for a Mark IV

Turumbar82 said:
$900 on CL but $3999 BIN on ebay

well that's quite a difference too. One of them is an obvious fake. I'm leaning more towards the ebay one being the fake. No one in their right mind would pay that much money for a Mark IV

But, the one on Craigslist is nationwide. The CL ads also don't have a location posted to entice buyers to respond to the ad. Also, who in their right mind would sell a brand new MKIV for 900?

Same post in Buffalo.

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/msg/905757811.html

Guessing it's a scam. If the deal is too good to be true, it probably is.

Big thanks for all on the research.

I am very sorry now for starting this thread because it does smell fishy!

The ebay pics look exactly like the ones on the Charlotte Craigslist.

I smell a rat too!

Like they say, if it is too good to be true...

Cheers...You guys are awesome to check it out that far.

Jeers...For me on posting the thread and being gullible. :oops:

And in Kansas City too!

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/msg/905843895.html

I say, flag it!

lol... man, I really want a Mesa Boogie. I really love Mesa Boogies

I smell POOP!

It was posted in Detroit today as well, but already flagged.

I had seen the ebay auction, and recognized the pics in the CL ad right away, so for shits & grins I emailed him, and this is what he replied:

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

"Jones David" <[email protected]>

Hello,

My name is David Jones and I am now in London, United Kingdom (I was sent here wih my work).
Because this is an US version I cannot sell it here and also I cannot use it here. I made an order for a new Mesa Boogie for UK use and I need the money from this sale to pay it. Mesa was use it about 20 hours not more. The mesa price is US $ 900.
We can close a deal ASAP.
Obviously we need a way to complete this deal that will allow us to make sure we receive what we are after.
I have found a way for us to complete the deal safely and fast, and in this way you will receive the Mesa Boogie in less than 2 days, if you move fast as well. The solution is provided by a company called DHL which is similar to Fedex, TNT or UPS, which will handle the payment and delivery of the Mesa Boogie .
I have found a procedure that will allow you to pay for the Mesa Boogie only after you will receive it and through this way you will see it and test it before I receive my payment.
Please click on the link bellow to the DHL website to see how we can complete the deal safely and fast directly from the website of the company where the procedure is explained:
http://www.dhl.com/en_generic/about/ournews/euexpansion.html
Like I said, I will pay for a 2 days delivery so you will receive the Mesa Boogie right away.
I will explain to you step by step how this will work .
1) First you will have to send me your full name and address. I will need them for the shipping.
2) I go to the DHL store and leave the Mesa Boogie onto your name as the intended receiver.
3) DHL will check the Mesa Boogie to see if everything is OK with it and also the legal papers that will come along with the Mesa Boogie.
4) DHL will send you a delivery notification to let you know they have the Mesa Boogie, in which you will be told that they have the Mesa Boogie and that they checked it.
5) At this point you will have to go to a Western Union Agent Location and make a money deposit on the DHL payment agent name for the amount we agreed .
6) After you make the deposit you will have to send the info about the money deposit to DHL (MTCN, sender's name and address)
7) DHL will verify the payment informations and if everything is in order they will deliver the Mesa Boogie to you .
8) After you receive the Mesa Boogie , check it and see that all is in order you will instruct DHL to send me the informations about the money deposit and I will be able to receive the funds .
I will pay DHL for the shipping and you will pay Western Union for the Money Transfer fee .
Let me know if we can do this.

Thanks

I replied to him to email me a phone number so we could talk :twisted: , and have yet to hear back from him.

Did you verify this procedure with DHL? I'm not familiar with Craig's list but isn't it kind of like the want ads in the paper? Just because he put the ad in several cities doesn't mean he trying to sell to more than one person. Some one correct me if I'm wrong but by putting his ad in many cities isn't he just trying reach as many people as possible. The procedure you outlined for DHL sounds like a safe way to conduct the transaction if ,in fact, DHL does offer that service.

The "I'm in a foreign country & I can't take this with me" spiel is a common scam on craigslist...

also, if you read the email, notice that he always refers to it as the "Mesa Boogie" and not "the amp" or the "markIV" as most normall ppl would. It's like they filled in the blanks of a generic scam form.

I've seen this guy's story numerous times. First of all, DHL, FedEx, UPS, USPS, etc. don't "check out" electronics to see if they are working or not. Why would they care? Secondly, if DHL is arranging payment, why pay Western Union?

DHL, nor any other reputable shipping service does this type of thing. Their job is to SHIP items! Duhhhhh.... He's trying to sell it (which really doesn't exist anyway) to as many fools as will Western Union him $$$.

Xqzdust must be a shill working with this scammer to actually believe it. I mean he can read and write so he's not an idiot, so what other explanation is there?

Any ad that wants a Western Union payment, and some kind of third party "agent" is B-O-G-U-S.
Period.
Don't be a fool. :D

Latest posts

Back