Mark IV Footswitch Storage: Good design, poor execution?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seajay

Reaction score
Hey guys. I just received a Mark IV long chassis head and I'm really digging it. I like the way the footswitch can be mounted to the back for easy storage. However, it seems to work better in concept than actual use.

My main gripe is the footswitch cable: it's so stiff & long ( :oops: ) that it's hard to coil and stuff into the head. Also, I don't like the idea of having the cable inside bumping against the tubes, potentially causing damage to the tubes or to the cable when the tubes are hot.

It would be perfect if the cable was detachable from the footswitch end. That way I could put this cable in the bag along with my other cables during transport. It's like Mesa designed this system with the combo in mind (where there is plenty of room inside for the cable), and with the head as an afterthought.

How do you Mark IV owners deal with this?

The combo is not much better. You have to use a velcro guitar cable strap or it uncoils like crazy. After 15 years I do not see why they cannot make the cable work with a DIN cable and an XLR so you can disconnect both, but then pigs would fly.

Know what you mean. I'm sure it's possible that a good tech could install a mutli pin on the other end of the cable and there's sufficient room inside the pedal itself to mount the jack! Whadda ya think?

i disconnect the footswitch from the amp and leave it on my pedal board, problem solved :D

i'm thinking about making some sort of protective panel to clip into the back of the amp when transporting it

Boogiebabies said:
The combo is not much better. You have to use a velcro guitar cable strap or it uncoils like crazy. After 15 years I do not see why they cannot make the cable work with a DIN cable and an XLR so you can disconnect both, but then pigs would fly.

That sucks. I would have thought that the combo has enough room.

Restless Rocks said:
Know what you mean. I'm sure it's possible that a good tech could install a mutli pin on the other end of the cable and there's sufficient room inside the pedal itself to mount the jack! Whadda ya think?

I'm sure it's possible, and it's a good idea. But at this point I'm not going to go through the trouble to have this done.

One thing I wonder...how does one disconnect the cable from the MK IV footswitch? I'm asking because I see the replacement cable for sale from Mesa. Does one have to resolder the replacement cable onto the footswitch?

eltrain858 said:
i disconnect the footswitch from the amp and leave it on my pedal board, problem solved :D

i'm thinking about making some sort of protective panel to clip into the back of the amp when transporting it

Unfortunately I don't use a pedalboard. :(

Yes. I drilled my Mark III chassis for 6 pin XLR some time ago and it was difficult and expensive tool were needed. Metal cover of Mark IV Footswicth is not as thick as Boogie chassis of course.

Those velcro cord wraps are great for stowing the cord. Coil your cord then strap it to the footswitch. Try to keep tension off of the part where the cord comes out of the footswitch and you should be fine. I do the something similar with the power cord. The cord on my A is attached.

Back