MARK IV EMERGENCY

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackmesa

Reaction score
I was playing my amp and then I started hearing a humming noise and noticed a very large decrease in volume. After about 30 seconds of that, the amp just shut off and now it's not turning on. Any ideas?!?!

Eddie

Check to see if your tubes look alright and see if the fuse is blown. You may have a blown tube which then caused the amp to draw way to much current and blow the fuse, hence why it won't turn on. That would probably be the best case scenario as to what happened.

If your tubes all look fine and/or your fuse is not blown but still nothing is working, then it may be time to take it to an amp tech.

I just checked out the fuse and there's a brown ring around it. Is it blown? thanks

blackmesa said:
I just checked out the fuse and there's a brown ring around it. Is it blown? thanks

I don't like the sounds of a brown ring around anything! :lol:

Sounds blown to me, compare it to a fuse from another appliance. Also, when you replace it, buy 2 so you have a spare for next time.

I was planning on getting two :D. It's funny, I bought this amp last night and it's the first Mesa I've ever owned. I just watched the amp die in front of me and I quietly said to myself, "fucking mesa..." hahaha. I love the way it sounds when it works though. Soo much more power than I had with my Orange.

You may want to replace the power tubes too. What i would do is that when i replace the fuse, if i turn the amp on standby and see the tube(s) glow a color other than faint orange, immediately turn it off and remember which tube is bad. You'll probably want to replace the tube pair, 1-4 are paired, and 2-3 are paired. If everything looks ok, try the amp on and see if you have any type of noise that shouldn't be there or if any tubes start glowing red hot. If there are tubes that aren't behaving correctly in either of those steps then that is most likely the culprit. If instead things work fine then you may want to have an amp tech look at it, especially if the fuse blows again. That means there is some other problem in the inner working of the amp, maybe bad capacitors. You'd want to take it to a tech then because i presume that you don't have expertise in electronics, let alone amps.

Back