Mark IV combo price question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donniecrump

Reaction score
I live in the Charlotte, NC area and found this on Craigslist.
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/clt/4697481954.html

This looks to be a sweat, original owner, mint Mark IV combo with all original stuff. The price however seems to be a little high. I am shopping for a Mark IV combo but have found many on Ebay for around $1000.00 shipped.

Having said that .. does the Wine tolex, all original stuff, Mark IV, single owner, and overall condition justify $1850.00? If not what would be a good price.

I was thinking around $1200.00 since it does have all of those things.

Thanks,
Donnie Crump

Well, Cornelius is Lake Norman and those people are all self indulgent elitist snobs but to answer
your question $ 1000-1200 is the right ballpark. I bought one at Guitar Center in Matthews for $675 and
it was dead *** mint. Killer amps though.

:lol:

That was the price I was thinking. I have been browsing various sites and that was the price I was seeing.

I have seen Mark V combos go for what he is asking. I will see if I can talk some sense into him.

Asking price and what he'll take for it may be two different numbers. Drive over there, try it out, check it out thoroughly, and offer him 1,200$ in cash. Don't bring any more than that. If he won't take it let some other dumbass buy it for more. Or have him call you back after he comes to his senses.

If it was wood, I could see that asking price. But, it's just a different color of tolex. For what it's worth, when I bought mine a while back I only paid $1100 for it. And mine had all of the extras except the manual and extra tubes. An extra pair of EL34s will run you maybe $60 (on the high end).

I paid $650 for my mint Mark IV with road case. That started my Boogie amp buying and selling. $1,850.00 buys 3 if you look around. Paid $450 for my Mk lll black dot, $500 for my Mk. blue stripe with EV12L Mesa speaker on the side and I sold the 416 tubes that came with it for $100, so net $400 for a blue stripe head in a cut down combo shell with an EV speaker! $300 for my DC-5, $250 for my studio pre, I could go on about making $1,750.00 off an old Gibson acoustic I sold a couple of months ago. I look every day for Mesa Boogie amps and when they are a great deal, I buy.

Has the Mark IV really went up in price that much since '07? I got mine for $450 at guitar center in OKC.

Yup. Despite the occasional person posting about finding them for 650$ or 800$ or whatever, unless you're willing to do some serious searching and waiting and maybe getting lucky you're going to be paying around 1200$ (combo price) like the rest of us. Supply and demand. Well, maybe a bit less - it's fairly common to find them for less on ebay and craigslist, but after shipping and new tubes or whatever it ends up being more. Markedman mentions that he's found some killer deals, but he also mentions looking every day - I did that for a while when I was shopping a few years back, but it took a whole lot of my time, and most of the "deals" I found were for non-functional amps. I eventually became the second owner of a mark IV that had been in a fairly big studio and meticulously maintained, but paid the 1200$ (actually a bit less, but after shipping I think that was the final price I paid). But man does it sound great! And worth every penny to me.

sduck said:
Yup. Despite the occasional person posting about finding them for 650$ or 800$ or whatever, unless you're willing to do some serious searching and waiting and maybe getting lucky you're going to be paying around 1200$ (combo price) like the rest of us. Supply and demand. Well, maybe a bit less - it's fairly common to find them for less on ebay and craigslist, but after shipping and new tubes or whatever it ends up being more. Markedman mentions that he's found some killer deals, but he also mentions looking every day - I did that for a while when I was shopping a few years back, but it took a whole lot of my time, and most of the "deals" I found were for non-functional amps. I eventually became the second owner of a mark IV that had been in a fairly big studio and meticulously maintained, but paid the 1200$ (actually a bit less, but after shipping I think that was the final price I paid). But man does it sound great! And worth every penny to me.
I am certainly glad that you posted this. After hearing of the excellent prices the other members had found, I was sort of feeling foolish about the price I had paid. When I bought mine (it's now been 3 years or so), I looked around for several months. I bought it off of E-bay and the price was very much in keeping with the selling price of others on E-bay. The things that made me go with this particular Mark IV were (1) he had already changed the grill cloth to a color that I wanted (camel), and (2) he had already installed handles on the sides (to make it easier to carry. I have serious arthritis in my hips and knees. This was definitely a consideration.)

For those of you that found your Mark IVs for those low prices - I applaud you! Great negotiations, and a great job of rooting out the good deals!

bgh said:
sduck said:
I am certainly glad that you posted this. After hearing of the excellent prices the other members had found, I was sort of feeling foolish about the price I had paid. When I bought mine (it's now been 3 years or so), I looked around for several months. I bought it off of E-bay and the price was very much in keeping with the selling price of others on E-bay. The things that made me go with this particular Mark IV were (1) he had already changed the grill cloth to a color that I wanted (camel), and (2) he had already installed handles on the sides (to make it easier to carry. I have serious arthritis in my hips and knees. This was definitely a consideration.)

For those of you that found your Mark IVs for those low prices - I applaud you! Great negotiations, and a great job of rooting out the good deals!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/100168049@N04/15336180277/ It took 2 seconds to find this, and I now own it for $150.00 after just selling the skb case and power conditioner! It sounds awesome and loud! :lol:

Latest posts

Back