Mark IV clips : \m/ content

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cliffdove

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Finally gotten down to miking up the cabinet and whipped up some unadulterated Mark IV clips. I tried out two miking positions with the SM57. One position had the mic placed on the edge of dust cap and the other was between the speaker edge and the dust cap. Both were an inch off the grille.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=728873&content=music

Here's my chain : RG7620 w/ Lundgren -> Mark IV -> Legacy 4x12 -> SM57 -> RNP -> MOTU -> DAW (No EQ applied).

Greatly appreciate the feedback.

Cheers,

Sounds awesome!

Listening to your clip, I'm really looking forward to my Mark IV arriving. It simply can't get here fast enough. And I guess my Legacy 2x12 will sound just fine with the Mark IV.

Would you care to share your settings? I hear the Mark IV is a little hard to dial in, and I admit I'm a little intimidated by all the talk, so I've been picking up settings to try out and use as a basis for finding my own sounds.

GodBlessTexas said:
Would you care to share your settings? I hear the Mark IV is a little hard to dial in, and I admit I'm a little intimidated by all the talk, so I've been picking up settings to try out and use as a basis for finding my own sounds.

You will enjoy your new toy, really good stuff. I actually tried out the Lamb of God, John Petrucci and Zorran settings that u can look up in the forum (pics and stuff).

Used them as a starting point and tweaked from there, didn't really vary too far off. But like everything else in getting good at something, the best way to learn is to spend time with the knob tinkering. Don't be intimidated.

Cheerios,

sounds good! One thing you may want to try (and I'm not sure what settings you used) that has helped me is blending various mic positions and using these layered to create a very filling sound.

I'll have one track with lots of low end, another sort of in between, another more centralized and then one pulled further away and use my ears to blend all these to various panned positions to create a nice left and right stereo balance where each side compliments the other.

I also noticed that doing this calls for far less gain that I would typically find myself using if I was only doing one or two tracks.

Not to hijack the tread but in this thread

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=22746

I posted a couple of clips with various EQ'ings.. the last post in the thread has my most up to date version of the tune and on that recording, all the tracks except for the single solo track had the gain at 3. By themselves the tracks aren't anything particularly exceptional but as they're layered, they compound onto the sound and really fire it up. combined with the drums, it makes it sound SO much bigger than it actually is if it were all stripped down. :oops:

I've tried duplicating this live with a dual band EQ - each side lightly tweaking a spearate cab and then run those 2 cabs in stereo. It seems to work really well.

man the el34's sound nice and warm... I might need to get some.

nice tones.

Hey Cliffdove, could you share your settings for the lead channel that you used in the clips?

I am having trouble tightening up the gain with it and can't get my chugs aggressive, although I can get a pretty sick lead tone.

Bshizzle said:
I am having trouble tightening up the gain with it and can't get my chugs aggressive, although I can get a pretty sick lead tone.

hi there, the settings are pretty much standard.

harmonics, simul, pentode, full power, EL34 & 6L6.

Lead Gain = 8 (pulled)
Lead Treble = 8.5
Lead Bass = 2
Lead Mid = 4
Lead Drive = 8
Presence = 5
LD3 preamp vol = 2
Output = 2

EQ On

80 hz - slider right below top line
240 hz - right above middle line
750 hz - right above bottom line
2200 hz - right above middle line
6600 hz - right below top line

I think the Lundgren M7 pickup and dropped D standard tuning that was used got me into chug territory. The tone should be a 'djent' as the mighty Bulb would put it but I guess the Mark IV just threw the mids back in. EMGs or really hot passives with accentuated low ends will get u there.

Thanks a lot, they are sorta what I have mine at but with some adjustments here and there, so I'll check em out later today. Thanks again!

Jesus, I have NEVER heard a more spot on LOG cover in my life, I havent even made it to the others yet cause ive been drooling on my keyboard here for about the 6th replay in a row lol. You sir are an inspiration! Thank you for the wonderful clips!

Latest posts

Back